For once, I took a stand...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm off from work this week, and I've been trying to get some research done for my writing. I need to find some more information on potential markets for a short story I've completed, and somebody recommended a particular book that would help me with writing a query on a novel I've been meaning to get out there for almost a year now (then came the flood last year, but that's another story). I've been having difficulties getting to area libraries, which is making this task stretch longer than necessary.

I had problems with the St. Paul library yesterday. Couldn't stick around too long because I was suffering a minor case of TMI WARNING! diarrhea. Was there long enough to find out they didn't care a particular magazine I'm trying to read so I can see if it's a good fit for the short story.

Today? Today was a different story entirely. I was on my way to the Minneapolis library when I happened to see a guy smacking a woman around. He appeared to have let up by the time I'd crossed the street but he just started in on her again. I will admit, I was incredibly selfish when I was waiting for the light to change, sort of like "Please stop before I get across the street" or "Ghod, why does this shit always have to happen to ME?!" but when I saw him pulling on her hair and heard her screaming at him to let her go, I did what I hope anybody else would have done.

I went up to the guy and clocked him with my umbrella.

I honestly don't know what the story was, but my mother always told me YOU NEVER HIT GIRLS. Unfortunately, I also found out when you hit a girl, she might be able to defend herself. In this case, she was clearly incapacitated and couldn't do anything. As we waited for the police, I kept myself and my damaged umbrella between him and the woman (the umbrella no longer had a handle on it, but I could have used it as a pointy stick, if necessary). He kept yelling that I didn't have to do that to him because she had his cell phone and wouldn't give it back. Besides, the police at the substation a couple blocks away wouldn't do anything about it and I didn't have to hit him like that, etc. etc., "FAGGOT!" (I almost started laughing in the little shit's face for saying that!), why did I do that to him?, "ain't none of your business what's going on", etc.

Of course, he did what I'd expected as the sirens approached: the chicken shit ran.

A couple of the other witnesses and the police on the scene were actually rather amused that I'd destroyed an umbrella -- in a way, it is kinda funny, in a "OMFG! WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?! HERE COMES THE ADRENALINE CRASH! NEED TO LAUGH NOW TO RELIEVE THE TENSION!" kinda way -- but all of the officers I spoke with thanked me for actually getting involved when the situation needed it.

I have no clue if they caught the fucker who did this. I don't even care whose phone she had. I feel awful that I had these selfish thoughts but I can go to bed tonight with a clear conscience because I found the strength to put those thoughts and feelings aside, and excuse me if I seem a little egocentric right now but I am damn proud of myself that I helped somebody today.

00071d0e

Tink

Just soaking up some R&R...
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats!! The world would be a better place if there were more people like you who would take a wack at a wacko....

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
:e2cheer: YAY BEN :e2cheer:

You are my hero, Ben. You were in the right place at the right time, and you made a difference in that woman's life. If she was really in the wrong and had his phone, you'd think he would stick around and explain to the cops.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you!!!

BTW does that cat have PINK TOENAILS?
That's actually not my cat. It's a picture I pulled from icanhascheezburger.com. The cat's nails are pink because its owner put caps on them. Yeah. The owner had the patience to put plastic caps on the cat's claws. I wonder if they had the insurance, as well...

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
A real hero in my books!

You never even considered the possible outcome for yourself did you?

He couldv'e been a psycho, packing heat, or just juiced up on drugs.

But without concern for your own safety - you rescued the damsel in distress...

Wow...

Gutsy - really!

:Trophy:You deserve one pal! Good job!

PS: I bet the rain will feel fine after this.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I have always loved you, Ben. Now I love you more.

Will you please follow me around with your umbrella? I'll tell you who to smack with it. I promise not to use it all willy-nilly... much.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Way to Go, Ben! Here's a HUGE {{{HUG}} for doing the right thing and yes - you can sleep soundly tonight. I don't know if it was brave or crazy, but it's way cool that you did something.

When you come to Jersey, the Italian hot dog and beer are on me! ;)

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
Well done Ben. Maybe I should start carrying an umbrella.

Nah, I'll stick with my Glock 30...:D

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Ben.

:e2kissy:

That was heroism, make no mistake. Well done.

Last edited:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I look forward to seeing the smackdown on 20/20's "What Would You Do?"

:D

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
For Ben

Weather%20Forecasting%20Umbrella%202.JPG

and a shoe phone for emergencies

039_4084~Get-Smart-Posters.jpg

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
P.S. I'm just glad your attack of TMI came the day before, 'cause that would have been... um... bad.

Can I have an autographed photo of the umbrella handle?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Good for you, Ben! I was hoping the story would involve you pooping rainbows on him, but it's still a good story.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You never even considered the possible outcome for yourself did you?

He couldv'e been a psycho, packing heat, or just juiced up on drugs.

But without concern for your own safety - you rescued the damsel in distress...

Wow...

Gutsy - really!

:Trophy:You deserve one pal! Good job!

PS: I bet the rain will feel fine after this.
One of the other witnesses said the guy kept reaching into his pants, like he was going to pull something out, but eventually stopped. I didn't see him doing any of this because I kept my focus on the tip of the umbrella in relation to where the guy was standing.
I have always loved you, Ben. Now I love you more.

Will you please follow me around with your umbrella? I'll tell you who to smack with it. I promise not to use it all willy-nilly... much.
"Jenna? My arm's getting really tired..."
"Don't worry. We're almost finished. I just need to get in line for The Dark Knight, so if you could, please..."
*groan* "Well, you did say 'please'..."
You are wonderful. Was it one of those big golf umbrellas?
Nope. It was a smaller, standard black umbrella with a hook handle. Still. Got the guy's attention!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Ben. That's something. Good for you.

Get a bigger umbrella.

Richard