PDA

View Full Version : published poems?

CACTUSWENDY
04-23-2005, 09:06 AM
:Wha: I have a question. If this forum is like being 'published' why is everyone putting all their writings or works on here? I know poems are ususally not used in book form...but what if you use them for anything else. Does having them on here for all to see make them published? What if someone wants to buy an unpublished poem and it's been on here? I know that essays and other book type writings are considered published if online.
Thanks for any info anyone can share on this. :poke: (I know so little)

Celeste
04-23-2005, 09:26 AM
This thread here (link) should explain it a bit, Wendy. :)

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10988

My take on it is...If one wants to post a WIP for a critique, that'd be fine. I wouldn't worry about that. But if it's something one plans on submitting, leave it posted just a couple of days, long enough to get the crit, or help needed, but then delete it, take it down. I would definitely NOT leave any of my work left posted if it's something I hope to have accepted/published.

Ya know, the ole' 'better safe than sorry'...

celeste

veinglory
04-23-2005, 02:01 PM
I imagine that only a small proportion of people are submitting to publishers, and even then not all of their poems. Those that I am thinking of submitting--I don't post. Even poems I have deleted have been cached by search engines and even copied by strangers onto their blogs and websites.

Sarita
04-23-2005, 02:58 PM
I've never tried submitting poetry, although I've been thinking about it lately. I work on submitting short stories and articles. If I wanted to submit something that was posted here, I would just delete the poem.

veinglory
04-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Make sure you google it too. I have found my poems all over the place, especially the more angsty ones that appeal to young bloggers.

Brainerd T.
04-24-2005, 02:52 AM
That means I 've got poems all over the universe. Wow!

I'll just have to be like Frito Lay and "just make more". But there are hundreds of them everywhere.

Oh me. Oh my. What to do?