Collect stuffed animals?

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
In my WIP two characters (best friends) frequent auctions, as well as import, dead animals pinned in a frame such as butterflies, spiders, bees etc. What are collectors of such items called and what is the process known as? I require as much information as possible and a name or title will greatl help me in my research.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
The process is called taxidermy.

taxidermy.jpg

Kathie Freeman

That Crazy Cat Lady
Registered
Reaction score
Website
catbook.biz
Taxidermy refers to stuffing animals such as birds and mammals. A person who collect or studies insects is a lepidopterist. The insect is caught in a net and poisened with something like alcohol, and put in a small paper envelope. Later it is spread out on a soft batting type material and fastened down with small straight pins. There will be a label stating species, variety, and origin. Collections are kept under glass with moth crystals to prevent damage by larva. Collectors trade specimens with each other, and many are very rare and valuable, but I don't know if you'd find many at auctions.

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
Taxidermy refers to stuffing animals such as birds and mammals. A person who collect or studies insects is a lepidopterist. The insect is caught in a net and poisened with something like alcohol, and put in a small paper envelope. Later it is spread out on a soft batting type material and fastened down with small straight pins. There will be a label stating species, variety, and origin. Collections are kept under glass with moth crystals to prevent damage by larva. Collectors trade specimens with each other, and many are very rare and valuable, but I don't know if you'd find many at auctions.

Thank you that is very helpful. And regarding auctions; I actually saw it on a series of Bargain Hunt (UK)

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
Lepidopterists collect moths and butterflies. Insect collectors collect all types of insects. Those who study insects are entomologists. There are collectors all over, and auctions. Try http://www.insectnet.com/

Taxidermists stuff mammals, birds and fish, including people's pets. I don't think they deal with insects.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
A Landmark!

That photo is of an important landmark, a kind of Stonhenge or Aya Sophia of rural Wisconsin. On Summer Solstice, the population entire of near-by River Falls shows up, plus half of Hudson, with six-packs of beer, brats and grills along with all the road-kill collected by the DNR and the celebration begins. For three days, the smoke from cooking sausage hangs in the air, mixing with taxidermy chemicals. Cheese Eaters rejoice!

:tongue