PDA

View Full Version : Medical Questions

Appalachian Writer
08-12-2008, 06:39 AM
So, I've done some research. I know that in 1921 a stroke wasn't called a stroke. It was still called apoplexy. BUT I'm having trouble finding out what medical personal did for strokes, if anything. Info on treatment is almost non-existent. Please, can someone help? Was there any treatment used for stroke before 1925?

StephanieFox
08-12-2008, 06:44 AM
My impression is that info on it is almost non-existent because treatment was almost non-existent. I don't think doctors even understood about high blood pressure. My grandmother had a massive stroke at the age of 44 and couldn't move her left side until she died at the age of 52 in 1940.

I'll see if my mom can answer some questions about this. I know that she spent time in the hospital, because that's where my mom met my dad. (He was one of her doctors.)

If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

Tish Davidson
08-12-2008, 07:05 AM
The modern blood pressure cuff was developed in 1905 according to this Web site http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/museum/exhibit98/content/b6_17info.html

which says "In 1905, Russian surgeon Nikolai Korotkoff developed the modern technique of using a stethoscope to listen for the sounds of blood flowing through the artery. His method proved to be extremely accurate and led to the discovery of hypertension." So it is unlikely that the average family doctor would know too much about high blood pressure and probably even less about its connection to stroke.

Appalachian Writer
08-12-2008, 07:41 AM
Thanks, guys! I've fretted over what they did back then for days. I now have notes on who discovered that apoplexy was actually bleeding in the brain. I have notes on people who died of what we now call strokes, but NOTHING, NADA, BUTKUS about treatment. I think they must have just let people die. You don't know how much I appreciate this.
Appy

Kathie Freeman
08-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Treatment for apopolexy was the same as for many other conditions - apply leeches to the offending part, or in this case to the back of the neck and/or the temporal artery. Cupping was sometimes used in place of leeches.

Tsu Dho Nimh
08-12-2008, 08:54 PM
So, I've done some research. I know that in 1921 a stroke wasn't called a stroke. It was still called apoplexy. BUT I'm having trouble finding out what medical personal did for strokes, if anything. Info on treatment is almost non-existent. Please, can someone help? Was there any treatment used for stroke before 1925?

The treatment in my 1909 medical book was supportive care, and physical rehab. Not much different than now after the damage has been done. Modren medical intervention is aimed at preventing the brain damage immediately post-event.

1 - good diet, skin care, bed sore prevention

2 - as much exercise as could be tolerated to maintain function.

3 - passive exercising with the aid of an attendant or machine

4 - for muscle spasms, use of drugs and massage

Appalachian Writer
08-13-2008, 01:28 AM
Many, many thanks! You guys may have saved my WIP from failed research. :D