Nooo! Live-Action Cowboy Bebop...with Keanu Reeves??

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/30/rumor-keanu-reeves-as-spike-in-cowboy-bebop-movie/

Just last week IF Magazine discovered that Fox is developing a live-action Cowboy Bebop movie based on the popular anime series. Remarkably, the project still isn't officially announced and Fox is still keeping it under wraps. However, a good friend inside the industry who is a very reliable source wrote in to tell me that the film is being fast tracked inside the studio and will most likely be out by 2010. He also revealed that Keanu Reeves has been attached as the lead character Spike for over eight months now and is still set for the role. Unfortunately there isn't a writer or director attached yet, but with some new forward momentum coming from last week's announcement, I don't think it will take too long.

Yep, you heard that right, the same guy who played Neo will be taking on the role of Spike Spiegel, a former member of the Red Dragon Crime Syndicate who is haunted by the memory of his time in the organization. As we mentioned previously, the show first aired in Japan in early 1998 and was brought over to America in 2001 on Adult Swim. The series follows the adventures of a group of bounty hunters traveling on their spaceship, the Bebop, in the year 2071. If you're looking for more details regarding this live-action Cowboy Bebop movie, here's yet another juicy tidbit. With Keanu Reeves involved, it's obvious this is no small project. My source also told me that if everything stays the same, the budget on this will be insane.

I can see a live-action Cowboy Bebop, possibly. In the style of Sin City, Watchmen, 300, Wanted, etc. This is the kind of beloved anime that has the makings of an awesome live-action movie, or a absolutely horrible live-action adaption. And with Keanu Reeves attached? I've just been shot in the gut. Without any writer or director attached yet, I'm afraid I'll be wildly disappointed. I can imagine so many better lead actors to cast. Asian and Caucasian.

I'm really wanting to look forward to this. But at this point, I'm dreading it. What do you think?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about Cowboy Bebop. It's Keanu Reeves. I am so there. First in line. I know, it's a weakness. I don't care. I've watched Johnny Pneumonic more than once. Keanu and I? We're soulmates. He just doesn't know it yet.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Here's my own line-up:

cowboybebopspikespiegelre1.jpg

aaron_eckhart.jpg

jet.jpg

Bruce-Willis-Photograph-C11796808.jpeg

faye_valentine.jpg

MaggieGyllenhaal.jpg

I know Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal are a bit of a stretch, but I can definitely see it. The Dark Knight convinced me they could pull off those roles, very well.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Love Cowboy Bebop. Hate Keanu Reeves.

Who the hell will they get to play Ed? Because there is no child star freaky enough.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Cowboy Bebop is pure art. It needs no improvement or re-imagining. The series is complete.

As far as I'm concerned, a live-action version is totally unnecessary. It will probably also be crap.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Are we sure this isn't just another rumor, like Reeves doing Plastic Man?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Here is a thought,

When they decide to do Cowboy Bebop, why not find Asian Actors that can act the part. This is a great role to take a few really talented unknowns and have them play the characters just like the anime.

People aren't going to see Cowboy Bebop becuase a big name star is the lead. They are going to see it because of the anime following.

I really can't see Keanu Reeves as the role. Sorry, just can't see it. And I AM a Keanu Reeves fan. I think his voice and accent would be wrong for the role.

My thoughts, there are plenty of great B - actors itching for a chance for the big screen who could play this part.

Cast for the role, and let the best actors / actresses win.

I think that this would be a movie that lives and dies by the writing/directing moreso than the acting. Of course, acting is important, but turning an anime into live-action anime is no small feat.

I'm not sure if i would like a "Sin City" version of Cowboy Bebop. Maybe more of a cross between Shoot Em Up, Jet Li's The One, and the Fifth Element.

Mel...

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I can see a live-action Cowboy Bebop, possibly. In the style of Sin City, Watchmen, 300, Wanted, etc.
As a non-fan of the cartoon I have no problem with it. However, I certainly hope it isn't like the annoying half-animation of the ones you have listed. And I didn't realize Wanted was in that category. I thought it was straight live-action. Disappointing. I wanted to see that.
I know nothing about Cowboy Bebop.
I saw an ep or two and never saw what the attraction was.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the "Wanted" reference comes in the way that it is so highly stylized. From bending bullets to smacking people with keyboards and seeing the keys fly off, it's fond of spontaneous slo-mo...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts, there are plenty of great B - actors itching for a chance for the big screen who could play this part.

That would be great, too. Anyone who, you know, fits the part. Keanu Reeves just can't deliver witty lines like Spike does.

I think the "Wanted" reference comes in the way that it is so highly stylized.

Yep. I don't really care whether films are "half-animated" or not or whatever. Point was with the combat and action in Cowboy Bebop, for any film to work, it'd have to be highly stylized.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to reassure Shadow Ferret. It seems like he wants to see so few movies I didn't want him to miss out on one. :D

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Johnny Depp could pull off the tall lanky guy. Depp can do anything.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it seem a bit like Serenity?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
They are also making a live-action remake of Evangelion and Avatar: The Last Airbender... so yeah, this seems to be a new trend

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
WHY? Even Cowboy Bebop people can't make a decent Cowboy Bebop movie! Are they going to dye Keanu's hair green?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
When they decide to do Cowboy Bebop, why not find Asian Actors that can act the part. This is a great role to take a few really talented unknowns and have them play the characters just like the anime.

But... the characters themselves are not Asian. The series is in Japanese, but the characters are anything but. Anyway, in a lot of anime people look pretty generic, but I've always been impressed by how clear and realistic Bebop is in terms of its racial depictions.