PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a recently published dystopian fantasy noir told in First Person POV

Plot Device
08-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Now I'm NOT going to limit myself to a true Bogart-style, gritty private eye caper set in a dark dystopian future (like in Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?). But I need first-person POV, I need it to be told from the POV of a male, I need a little bit of darkness, and a little bit of either fantasy or sci-fi will do nicely. All of that PLUS future dystopian would be perfect but not essential. AND IT MUST BE A VERY RECENT PUBLICATION -- five years or less.

I'm asking because I need to examine someone else's accomplishment as far as style, pacing and tone to help me in the latest editing job I'm trying to accomplish on my WIP. And my NEED of all of this as a template or a springboard of sorts comes from the following handicaps I'm working under at the moment:

-- I am a female, and yet I'm writing the POV of a male
-- I am a screenwriter, but this is my first forray BACK into the realm of writing a novel in over a decade, and so I am VERY rusty at writing prose again (Derek?? You listening, bro??)
-- I have a few noir novels and a few first person novels and a few future dystopian novels from decades ago all kicking around in my memory, and I could TRY to use any of one those, or a combination of those, as a template or an inspiration, but their writing styles are old and out of date (they are mostly from the 1960's) and I feel that I need to try and get caught up with "the Church of What's Happening Now" as far as my writing style goes

Anyone?

Thanks! :cool:

(PS-- Any purists who might balk at the idea that I somehow need to "copy" someone else's work, please consider the movie Finding Forester. In that film the young teenaged student named Jamal Wallace was instructed by the brilliant award winning and internationally acclaimed novelist named Forester to employ the writing exercise of starting out by copying word-for-word the first few paragraphs of someone else's written manuscript. Then after arriving at a place of inspiration, he was to branch out from there into his own prosaic offering.

This is about what I need at this time.)

kuwisdelu
08-11-2008, 11:54 PM
No idea, but that sounds just like my next project, so sign me up, too.

Mr Flibble
08-12-2008, 12:01 AM
But I need first-person POV, I need it to be told from the POV of a male, I need a little bit of darkness, and a little bit of either fantasy or sci-fi will do nicely. All of that PLUS future dystopian would be perfect but not essential.

First thing that springs to mind is Jim Butcher's Dresden series ( starting with Storm Front in 2000 - latest book was 2007 I think - no wait it was this year)

First person POV, male, dark in places and more fantasy than you can shake a stick at. No future dystopian though :( A cracking read anyway.

waylander
08-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm really impressed with Mike Carey's Felix Castor books starting with 'The Devil You Know'.
He's an ex screenwriter who has also done comics

Plot Device
08-12-2008, 12:15 AM
First thing that springs to mind is Jim Butcher's Dresden series ( starting with Storm Front in 2000 - latest book was 2007 I think - no wait it was this year)

First person POV, male, dark in places and more fantasy than you can shake a stick at. No future dystopian though :( A cracking read anyway.

The Dresden Files?? :)

Mr Flibble
08-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Indeed yes.

I'm racking my brains trying to think of any future dystopian that's recent but all the stuff I've read is too old :( Mind you I'd be interested in anything anyone comes up with because I've this really great fururtistic noir thing rattling round my brain and I need to read up on the genre :)

SPMiller
08-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Yeah, cyberpunk would've been an obvious way to go, but that's mostly "old" now. Butcher's work is somewhat reminiscent, but revamped.

kuwisdelu
08-12-2008, 12:44 AM
It occurs to me that you might try cross-posting this to the graphic novel section. I don't know many, but I'm pretty sure there are some graphic novels that might fall into this category (even the first person, part, possibly). I know, they're not traditional novels, but other media can certainly be inspiring, too, and many elements might cross over to work in traditional writing. (The anime Cowboy Bebop, from which I derive much inspiration, is certainly dystopian, futuristic, sci-fi, western-noir...)

nevada
08-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Trilogy by Richard K Morgan. Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Fury. It's noir, it's gritty, it's first person, it's dystopian, it's sci fi, it's brilliant.

Plot Device
08-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Trilogy by Richard K Morgan. Altered Carbon, Broken Angels, Woken Fury. It's noir, it's gritty, it's first person, it's dystopian, it's sci fi, it's brilliant.

I just looked up Morgan in Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Morgan

Man. That guys has some won serious laurels in the annals of sci-fi. And all his stuff is recently published too. We may have a winner here, folks!

SPMiller
08-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Supposedly his upcoming fantasy work will be horribly dark (but not horror). That appeals to me.

dpaterso
08-12-2008, 01:31 AM
I am a screenwriter, but this is my first forray BACK into the realm of writing a novel in over a decade, and so I am VERY rusty at writing prose again (Derek?? You listening, bro??)
:ROFL: In a laughing-with-you way. :)

-Derek

Plot Device
08-12-2008, 02:06 AM
:ROFL: In a laughing-with-you way. :)

-Derek

:D

TheIT
08-12-2008, 03:45 AM
Not sure whether any of these fits your criteria, but I asked about first person fantasy a while back in the Science Fiction & Fantasy forum:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25016

There are a couple of other recommendation threads in that forum if I recall correctly.

Plot Device
08-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Not sure whether any of these fits your criteria, but I asked about first person fantasy a while back in the Science Fiction & Fantasy forum:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25016

There are a couple of other recommendation threads in that forum if I recall correctly.

This is helpful. :)

Kryianna
08-12-2008, 06:03 AM
What about The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez? Futuristic, a bit dark (yet also extremely humorous), definitely sci-fi elements (first person from the POV of a robot, no less), and noir as well. It was just published in February.

The author has a very unique voice, so I'd definitely recommend it as something to try. It's a great book; I loved it.

Soccer Mom
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
I highly recommend Magic Bites and Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews. They are excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/tagging/items-tagged-with?ie=UTF8&flatten=1&tag=ilona%20andrews&search=1

Dystopian Atlanta told in first by ass-kicking mercanary. Very cinematic in their scope. I think you would enjoy them.

DeadlyAccurate
08-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Jeff Somers - The Electric Church (http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Church-Jeff-Somers/dp/0316021725/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218560752&sr=8-2) and The Digital Plague (http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Plague-Avery-Cates/dp/0316022101/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1218560752&sr=8-1).

In the near future, the only thing growing faster than the criminal population is the Electric Church, a new religion founded by a mysterious man named Dennis Squalor. The Church preaches that life is too brief to contemplate the mysteries of the universe: eternity is required. In order to achieve this, the converted become Monks -- cyborgs with human brains, enhanced robotic bodies, and virtually unlimited life spans.

Enter Avery Cates, a dangerous criminal known as the best killer-for-hire around. The authorities have a special mission in mind for Cates: assassinate Dennis Squalor. But for Cates, the assignment will be the most dangerous job he's ever undertaken -- and it may well be his last.

DeadlyAccurate
08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
What about The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez? Futuristic, a bit dark (yet also extremely humorous), definitely sci-fi elements (first person from the POV of a robot, no less), and noir as well. It was just published in February.

The author has a very unique voice, so I'd definitely recommend it as something to try. It's a great book; I loved it.

Also want to second this. I think it may be his best book yet. (Which is saying something because I love all his books.)