Help me find a job

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
So, it's well beyond time I knuckled down and took this job finding thing seriously. But...what sort of job do I look for?
This is a serious question, I'm at a complete loss. I really have no idea what I should be doing.
I know one thing, I'm a lot better than the job I'm doing right now. But I've been doing this job for nearly ten months now, and that's got to be a score against me when it comes to applying for better stuff, right?

Ok, let me start at the start.
I have a degree in Computer Science. I went to university fully intending to join the RAF as a pilot. That fell through. I did the testing and discovered I'd be excellent at almost every job the RAF could offer me, including pilot, but I unfortunately I'd make a dreadful officer.
Problem is, when it came to choosing modules for my degree, I didn't choose with any sort of plan for a career in, say, web design, or development or whatever. I just picked whatever interested me at the time. The result is that I got a broad, but fairly shallow education. That, combined with my natural laziness, meant that my degree is not worth as much as it might have been.
After university, I spent a couple of years travelling, which compounded the problem as I soon forgot most of what I learnt.
After that, I had a few temp jobs, before settling for a while at the Open University on one of their IT desktop support teams. That was cool, but after a year, they wanted to take on someone permanently ) I was technically there as a temp), and I failed the interview for my own job.
A friend of mine worked for DaimlerChrysler (as it was then) and, through him, I landed another long term temp contract as a Database administrator.
That lasted a year when, as the project was winding up, I decided to come to Ireland. Just for the hell of it. I ran out of money, had to beg from the parents, and then finally landed this terribly dull administrative job at Dell.

Phew, that was longer than I thought.

Anyway, the point is, with this background, what the hell can I do now? I've been applying for more database jobs, but I'm not sure how to explain the fact I've been doing this crappy job for so long - if I even get to an interview and a chance to explain.
If not that, any suggestions on what else I could do? I'm just so bored right now, of everything, not just work. But the job thing seems like something that should be in my control, something I can do something about. But I have no idea WHAT!!
And yes, I recognise that I am a lot better off than a lot of people, but still, I feel I have more to give to the world, and the chance to put myself somewhere to give it. I just need to work out how.

Sorry for the long post. Any ideas, suggestions, encouragement etc extremely welcome.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know jack about the computer business in Ireland, but I'll keep you company while we wait for someone who does. Got a smoke?

Maryn, figuring she won't get caught smoking that far from home

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, Jimmy. I'm starting to think you really should come over here and go on my walk with me. Seriously, if you can get here, do it! You could join me at any point along the way, I'll be out there for a long time.

I don't know anything about how to get jobs in Ireland. Isn't Spooky over there??? Would he know?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Having just returned from a couple of weeks in Ireland with my wife's family my impression is that the jobs situation there is tight and getting tighter

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Jeez, Jimmy. I'm starting to think you really should come over here and go on my walk with me. Seriously, if you can get here, do it! You could join me at any point along the way, I'll be out there for a long time.

I don't know anything about how to get jobs in Ireland. Isn't Spooky over there??? Would he know?
Nice idea, but I'd have to walk to get there - can't afford the air fare. :(

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, and I'm not necessarily fixated on the IT industry. Right now, I just want something that's at least a little bit interesting and challenging. The kinds of IT skills I have are fairly transferable, I'm not a hardcore developer or anything, but I do have good, general IT skills. I think I have the aptitude to be a developer, but I would need a good amount of training to bring myself up to speed, and I don't think anyone's going to invest that time when they can just hire someone who already has the skill.
So, any ideas of what I can do? Part of me actually wants a break from computer stuff. I was in a recruitment agency the other day, reading all of the posters/job ads and so on on the walls. Passed the time waiting for the person who deals with IT jobs to come out by correcting spelling/grammar errors and rewriting their copy in my head to be clearer and more concise. Maybe I should be a copywriter. :tongue No qualifications or experience at all for that, though. *sigh*

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm not necessarily fixated on the IT industry. Right now, I just want something that's at least a little bit interesting and challenging. The kinds of IT skills I have are fairly transferable, I'm not a hardcore developer or anything, but I do have good, general IT skills. I think I have the aptitude to be a developer, but I would need a good amount of training to bring myself up to speed, and I don't think anyone's going to invest that time when they can just hire someone who already has the skill.
So, any ideas of what I can do? Part of me actually wants a break from computer stuff. I was in a recruitment agency the other day, reading all of the posters/job ads and so on on the walls. Passed the time waiting for the person who deals with IT jobs to come out by correcting spelling/grammar errors and rewriting their copy in my head to be clearer and more concise. Maybe I should be a copywriter. :tongue No qualifications or experience at all for that, though. *sigh*
Maybe we need to go have a beer this weekend and talk about it. Send me a PM. I'll can be in the centre this weekend and we'll be off for a bite at that marvelous Italian restaurant.

Cheers

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe we need to go have a beer this weekend and talk about it. Send me a PM. I'll can be in the centre this weekend and we'll be off for a bite at that marvelous Italian restaurant.

Cheers
"I'll can be in the centre..."

See, I could be a great proofreader. :p

Thanks, dude - You still have the same number? I'll send you a text message.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I see you as a Dove girl.

DoveGirls2.img_assist_custom.jpg

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
"I'll can be in the centre..."

See, I could be a great proofreader. :p

Thanks, dude - You still have the same number? I'll send you a text message.
Yeah, but I haven't turned on my phone since the last time I turned on a woman. :roll: Better to pM ME!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know jack about the computer business in Ireland, but I'll keep you company while we wait for someone who does. Got a smoke?

Maryn, figuring she won't get caught smoking that far from home

Having just returned from a couple of weeks in Ireland with my wife's family my impression is that the jobs situation there is tight and getting tighter

Spooky would know more about this, but my understanding is that IT is a big industry in Ireland, in fact a major contributor to their economic boom a few years ago. I do know that Microsoft's European headquarters are near Dublin.

If you're talking DB admin, have you thought at all about MS Certification? Not expensive, from what I am told makes one much more employable, and is something that MS themselves are beginning to promote more vigorously.

Last edited:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Spooky would know more about this, but my understanding is that IT is a big industry in Ireland, in fact a major contributor to their economic boom a few years ago. I do know that Microsoft's European headquarters are near Dublin.

If you're talking DB admin, have you thought at all about MS Certification? Not expensive, from what I am told makes one much more employable, and is something that MS themselves are beginning to promote more vigorously.
I'll take care of Jimmy. Yes, Ireland is a big employer of IT professionals. I still get five-to-ten emails a day for IT jobs in Europe.

Cheers,

Jon

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Jon, you are the best.

:LilLove:

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The trouble I'm having is that I don't really consider myself an IT professional. Sure, I have the degree and all, but my work experience so far has been such a mish-mash of stuff that I don't feel at all confident going into any sort of IT job anymore.

I've been considering taking some sort of course to try and make myself a bit more employable. I was thinking of doing a course in web design - something a little more creative and, hopefully, interesting.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you were here and not there .... but I'm not and you aren't.

But check your secret messages for a company in Ireland. I did transcription for that girl. (lady)(woman)

No guarantees - but one never knows, does one?