Universality

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I'd like to first say that I am inviting people of all traditions-- religious, philosophic, home-brewed, nonreligious, etc-- into this discussion.

What I am really interested in right now is finding out what people feel are essential elements, essential truths of the human condition insofar as humans perceive the universe. I would rather this not be a dialogue so much as a list. So any dialogue about the validity of another poster's "shared truth" should be TAKEN OUTSIDE. Furthermore, I would prefer if we keep this very human-centered so that the elements/truths that we list must be those presumed or believed to be "shared by all" (kommein) humans. There, thus, could be theological assertions, but their implications should be geared toward human experience. Anyway, what is written here, then, might have "spiritual" implications, but they may not. For the purposes of my book, I will be considering the posts with spirituality in mind; however, any angles can work.

I will start of by giving some examples:

-- All humans have memories of some sort of paradise [as reflected by such narratives as: Genesis and the Garden of Eden, Kristeva's oceanic/prenatal stage, T.S. Eliot's heart of silence, sexual consummation, etc.

-- We are, to our current knowledge, the only perceivers of reality in that we are aware of our perception as perception...

-- We all must have food and water and shelter and love (which psychologist said that?)

-- All of our physical bodies will perish.

Your turn. Thanks.

AMC

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In all my studies, I find the major religions have more in common than they do differences.

The devil is in the details, you might say. That said, I also find not many people see it "my" way. It's their way or no way at all. That's a bummer.

The human experience is an amazing thing. My reality might not be your reality. Want to go for a real fun ride? Explore Quantam Physics.
Not as math - but as a design for the Universe.

Check out The Quantum Doctor or The Yoga of Time Travel.
Einstein knew what he was about; unfortunately he died before he finished. Or maybe it's a good thing. Most humans aren't ready for that.

I'm one of those scientists who doesn't think science disproves creation - I think it proves it. It all makes perfect sense when you stop to think about it.

In the Bible God told the Jews not to mess with other people's religion. He said don't mess with spirits. To my thinking, He wouldn't warn against something that didn't exist - He said - Don't Do It.

That's all I've got.
(for now)

oh, yeah. The neatest bit I've run across lately was from an old shaman in the Andes talking about his tribe's history and a global flood. Now just how high would the water have to be to affect the Andes? Right high, I reckon. And he insisted - No, we didn't have that idea from the missionaries - we had that idea before they ever showed up.

Think about it.