PDA

View Full Version : Writing routine ?

Ugawa
08-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Do you have a routine before you start writing?

I can't write properly unless it's dark (don't ask why because i don't even know) Then i go outside for a cigarette. Come in turn all the lights off put a head phone in my left ear and start writing. (i don't have to be listening to any music)

'I can't concentrate unless i have something in my left ear... i also can't sleep unless i have something in my left ear lol'

i'm just strange like that. lol.

What does everyone else do?

XX

ChaosTitan
08-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Make sure I have one of two things:

Pad and paper, or a computer.

Then I write.

I'm just simple like that. :)

Ugawa
08-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Man, i feel weird now lol.

I can write without them things but not well and usually not for long before i get distracted.
lol
XX

Clair Dickson
08-11-2008, 05:45 AM
Must have drink, perferably a full glass of Diet Pepsi. Drink must be on a sheet of paper towel folded into quarters to catch the condensation. Email must be checked, along with Google Reader.

Beyond that, I just need time, idea(s), and motivation. Sometimes I need music, sometimes TV/ movies. Sometimes I need to have something else I should be doing. ;-)

Quossum
08-11-2008, 05:53 AM
Careful not to tell yourself "I can't write unless XYZ." You'll end up talking yourself into a trap of invented personal superstitions that will impede your writing in the long run.

It's okay to say "I prefer to write under these conditions," or "I'm most comfortable / productive under certain conditions." But don't talk yourself into a case of self-inflicted writer's block.

--Q

Wolvel
08-11-2008, 06:37 AM
All I need is an idea a pen and a piece of paper.

WaterWoman
08-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Generally I require a chair to sit my butt down on, other than that I just write. Everyday. It's a job like anything else. Mostly you need to show up and do it.

Manderley
08-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I need at least half an hour, preferably an hour, set aside for the writing. I need that time to get into the story again (if my mind has been preoccupied with other things, like, you know, work) and to stop me from feel stressed. That said, I can write in short 5 or 10 minutes bursts when inspired (or when I've spent the time cooking dinner thinking about the next scene), but for the actual, daily BIC I need to know I have time set aside to spend on it.

Shweta
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I can't write properly unless it's dark (don't ask why because i don't even know) Then i go outside for a cigarette. Come in turn all the lights off put a head phone in my left ear and start writing. (i don't have to be listening to any music)

To echo Quossum...
Cory Doctorow warned my Clarion class that this sort of thing is dangerous. Rituals can become a way not to write (I'm out of cigarettes, so no go, can't write today; it's not dark, so can't write...) They're ways of thinking that can interfere quite badly with our productivity.

There's also the possibility, all you smokers, that you write a best-selling series and the cigs get you before the last book. And your weeping fans will be left wailing and gnashing teeth.
(Seriously, one fears that this might happen to certain wonderful authors, arrrrgh)

Also, :welcome:!
Also also, this is a general discussion, so, moving to the roundtable.

kct webber
08-11-2008, 02:58 PM
I like to have coffee, cigs--sorry Sweta--and I always read through what I wrote the previous day. Then I write. That's about it. Nothing I would classify as a ritual or routine.

Having something stuck in my left ear would just annoy me. :D

darrtwish
08-11-2008, 04:04 PM
For me, I need to have time to be able to get work done...like right now....and be able to force myself to sit down and write.

gypsyscarlett
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
Do you have a routine before you start writing?

'I can't concentrate unless i have something in my left ear... i also can't sleep unless i have something in my left ear lol'

i'm just strange like that. lol.

What does everyone else do?

XX

If it makes you feel any better - I can't sleep unless my blankets are covering my ears. Of course, I don't put them in my ear.

I have to ask: Why the left ear? :D

Routine?
1. step out on balcony for smoke while tea is brewing
2. get into something comfy (usually a pair of wicked sexy sweats ;))
3. sit down on sofa with laptop, tea, notes, reference books
4. tv on low

oh- sometimes I'll meditate a bit beforehand. Things like that..

tehuti88
08-11-2008, 08:12 PM
I just open up the computer files I need to pick up where I left off on the story, settle in, and start writing.

Rather boring, but nothing else is totally necessary. :/ I have OCD, I have enough rituals for everything else!!

Tachyon
08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I like to have a clean room around me when I write (tidy, not sterile!). If my desk is cluttered, I get distracted and want to tidy that up before I can focus on the writing.

Often I'll have music on, or television, for a little background noise (or to drown out the sound of my brother's bass below me...).

I've found it difficult to find a particular time in the day when I can write. I usually write at night, after I'm done work. Lately I've taken to working through plot details and particular scenes in my head while I'm at work. By the time I get home, I've usually figured out how I want a scene to unfold, which makes for more productive writing.

lostgirl
08-11-2008, 10:03 PM
It can't be quiet. I can write anywhere, anytime, under any conditions, as long as it's not quiet.

Alpha Echo
08-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Make sure I have one of two things:

Pad and paper, or a computer.

Then I write.

I'm just simple like that. :)

Yup, me too.

I can write when there's music playing, when the TV's on, when there are people surrounding me holding mulitple conversations. I can write with a drink, I can write with food, I can write whenever, wherever.

However, my NORMAL routine is one of two things:

1 - I'm at work. I have my Ipod playing quietly in the background and whatever work I'm pretending to do on my screen so I can quickly maximize it (yes, I'm horrible). Then, I write!

or 2 - I'm at home. I have a glass of red wine (a nice cab, preferrably from Chile), I have the TV on in the background (because it's much harder to write in silence) or music on in the background, and I write. Simple as that!

Tachyon
08-11-2008, 10:27 PM
whatever work I'm pretending to do on my screen so I can quickly maximize it
Alt+Tab is your friend. :D

Alpha Echo
08-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Alt+Tab is your friend. :D

Ah, thanks!

Ugawa
08-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I have to ask: Why the left ear? :D

Because i have a piercing in my right ear. You know that bit just before the hole in ur ear lol. I can't get a headphone in there. So it's become a habbit to have one in just my left ear. It's more of a comforter then anything else, i get in a mood if i can't find my head phones and once i even started crying because they were lost and i couldn't sleep without them. lol

Man, that's made me sound so sad lol

XX

virtue_summer
08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't have a specific routine but I have preferences. My best writing tends to be done when I'm alone, either outside or in my bedroom usually. I tend to listen to music for about twenty minutes, or just sit outside and listen to the natural sounds around me. The point is it's twenty minutes to just relax and let go of the things that have been on my mind other than writing, to refocus my attention on my story. I prefer to have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, depending on the time of day, but the fact is that none of this is set in stone. I've worked with people chattering around me, with nothing to drink at all, and without any prewriting relaxation time. The writing doesn't tend to be as good but at least it gets done. I think routines can be nice. They can get you into the right mental state. But they shouldn't become crutches. They should be things you like to have, not things you have to have.

gypsyscarlett
08-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Because i have a piercing in my right ear. You know that bit just before the hole in ur ear lol. I can't get a headphone in there. So it's become a habbit to have one in just my left ear. It's more of a comforter then anything else, i get in a mood if i can't find my head phones and once i even started crying because they were lost and i couldn't sleep without them. lol

Man, that's made me sound so sad lol

XX

Nah- doesn't make you sad.
Just means you are kooky!
And kooky is good. I'd know. :cool:

Ken
08-12-2008, 01:26 AM
to get the blood flowing to my brain I stand on my head with one hand and write with the other.

superman skivvies
08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
All I need is an idea a pen and a piece of paper.
And some commas.

bsolah
08-13-2008, 03:48 AM
At the moment my routine consists of girlfriend going to bed to read, disconnected my laptop from the internet and sitting in bed beside her and typing away like crazy.

Working wonders at the moment.