Amerika

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I also found it quite dumb... seems to be that is good to attack US but the rest of the world is a sacred cow...

Amerika is the spelling of America in German, Dutch, Romanized Japanese, by the way

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I'm thinking it would depend on where you are.

That said, my response has always been something to the effect of:

"Bear in mind, the reason no one is knocking down your door with a set of handcuffs and a club when you spell it 'Amerika' is because it IS 'America'."

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Meanwhile, some friends of mine from Costa Rica and Honduras would point out that it isn't "the America", it's just one of the "Americas". :)

I was just going to point out that, but chose not to...

The problem is generalization and fanatism... the whole "we" and "them" mentality, in the case of most of the world is the poor "we" against the powerful "them" I haven't seen any white guilt of the Dutch when they invented the slavery of Africans nor a single tear of regret of the religious persecution against Christians in Japan nor Argentinians giving a damn on the killings of their natives.

It's easy to blame to "da ebul umpyre" but that's not true. As there are people here trying to live their life, raise their children and get the bread to the table as in Iran or Luxemburg or Micronesia. We are all humans.

That's what seems so inhuman of the whole idea of "blue-state/red-state" it just add another "flag", another division. There are the black flag, and the latino flag and the gay flag and the vegan flag and the christian flag. All those voices shouting, wanting to be them the important ones, the ones that diserve right to be heard while forgetting we are all humans...

freezer burned

Bananas, good sir. Bananas.
Registered
Reaction score
I notice this misspelling of America quite frequently and usually it's in conjunction of how lousy things are in the USA. Wondering if one were to use a slur spelling for any another country if it would be considered acceptable?
I imagine it would be acceptable if the person using a slur spelling for another country were from that other country. Do the people you know of who are using this alternate spelling for America living outside of the USA?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing when the use of this spelling came to symbolize "bad America." Was it before or after the TV miniseries in which the Soviet Union invaded, enslaving US citizens in labor camps?

Maryn, who never saw this spelling with this meaning before the movie

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the origin, but I seem to remember it was a "hippie" spelling used to symbolize the "oppression by the man." I think it was also used by some of the right wingers as well to symbolize the extreme left lean of the hippies (real or perceived).

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
God, I HATE taking this tack, but ...

If someone has the knowledge to use a computer he owns through a broadband connection he pays for sitting in a home office that's cooled by central air he pays for with a job he earned without boundaries in a society with a constitution that says, to a great degree, say what you want without repercussion; who can go freely from place to place; state to state; and not worry constantly about the safety of his family, friends, his money or assets, then I and other soldiers, sailors, Airmen and Marines who've served in the military for one day or three decades only have this to say about "Amerika":

You're welcome.

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in knowing when the use of this spelling came to symbolize "bad America." Was it before or after the TV miniseries in which the Soviet Union invaded, enslaving US citizens in labor camps?

Maryn, who never saw this spelling with this meaning before the movie

Yeah I think it was because of the miniseries..

BTW, is it out on DVD? I remember watching parts of it in 1987 and being creeped out sp.with the 4th of July parade with a Lincoln flag joining Marx and Lenin. I also remember the upside down US flag (distress signal) carried by veterans...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, it was never released in VHS or DVD. If you really wanted to see it, of course, there's probably pirated VHS for sale out there, complete with the ads of the sponsors on the broadcast network. Although I would urge everyone to shun such open copyright violation...

Maryn, big on shunning

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
You're welcome.
Wow. That was a long way to get to this.

But personally, people who say "Amerika" probably don't appreciate the sacrifices we made for them. They think we're part of the military/industrial machine that made it "AmeriKa" in the first place.

Instead of seeing that we gave them the freedom to spell it with a K they view us as one of the oppressors.