PDA

View Full Version : Another olympics thread: Cheer on your country here!

Fenika
08-11-2008, 02:46 AM
...or your friend's country, or your parent's country of origin, w/e!

Go Poland!
Go Team USA!
Go NZ!

So far the US is doing pretty well. I think NZ got creamed in soccer (vs Italy), but I'm not sure...

Cheers,
Christina

Ageless Stranger
08-11-2008, 02:52 AM
I'd like to cheer the UK, but if we don't do terribly, I'll have nothing to complain about other than the weather.

Oh what the hell,

Go Team GB!

akiwiguy
08-11-2008, 02:52 AM
I think NZ got creamed in soccer (vs Italy), but I'm not sure...

Dicked by Brazil actually, which given it is soccer is not really unexpected.

But things are as usual looking very good at early stages of rowing.

Go NZ!

Shadow_Ferret
08-11-2008, 02:55 AM
USA swept in women's saber fencing. That's cool.

Fenika
08-11-2008, 03:01 AM
Yeah, I watched the fencing. Tried to learn something for my own writing skills but it all happened so fast (wait, that's a lesson there).

I wish NZ well in rowing. When are they bringing back the rugger??? Best sport ever!

WendyNYC
08-11-2008, 03:05 AM
USA swept in women's saber fencing. That's cool.

My daughter is starting fencing classes in the fall, so that was awesome for her to watch.

I don't have any country to root for other than USA, so I guess for my ancestors: Go Team GB!

Although I do like to cheer for the underdog. What country is the lowest ranked this year? I'm for them.

veinglory
08-11-2008, 03:08 AM
I am in the US and can't even find coverage that will show me a kiwi. Is there anything online? I especially want to see Todd/Gandalf in the 3 day.

Fenika
08-11-2008, 03:13 AM
I've been flipping between the olympic HD channels and saw them here and there. I'm sure there is something online. Google and youtube have some major coverage...

alleycat
08-11-2008, 03:14 AM
I am in the US and can't even find coverage that will show me a kiwi. Is there anything online? I especially want to see Todd/Gandalf in the 3 day.
Maybe this:

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Sports/tabid/317/articleID/66328/cat/41/Default.aspx

Jersey Chick
08-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Go Team USA!

And does anyone know what flatwater is? If so, please to essplain... :)

Ageless Stranger
08-11-2008, 03:17 AM

Oh that? Everyone knows what that is. . .

Jersey Chick
08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
AHA! That's what I thought.

Only those who flatwater know what flatwatering is... i knew it...

Ageless Stranger
08-11-2008, 03:18 AM
AHA! That's what I thought.

Only those who flatwater know what flatwatering is... i knew it...

Now ya getting it. ;)

Jersey Chick
08-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Sorry for the sorta derail...

GO TEAM USA!

and Team Ireland....

Shadow_Ferret
08-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Anyway, I root for the people. I cheered when the little Turkey girl won the Silver in weightlifting. I was happy to see the Korean boy win in swimming after he was DQF at the last Olympics for falling in the water.

But I do root for my ancestry, which is Finnish, Russian, Slovenian, and Russian. And of course USA.

poetinahat
08-11-2008, 03:26 AM
[heh heh... he said 'root'...]

After the aggro in the warm-up game, I can't wait to see Australia and the US meet in women's basketball. The competition's high, there's bad blood between the teams (cf. Lauren Jackson and Lisa Leslie), and it's not going to be friendly. The Americans won the last Olympics, but the Australians hold the World Cup. If/when they meet, the game will be a cracker.

Go the Aussie women's hockey team -- down 4-1 to Korea, they won 5-4!

veinglory
08-11-2008, 03:28 AM
I imagine is is as opposed to whitewater, for kayaking events?

maestrowork
08-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Anyway, I root for the people. I cheered when the little Turkey girl won the Silver in weightlifting. I was happy to see the Korean boy win in swimming after he was DQF at the last Olympics for falling in the water.

Yeah, Park's win was pretty sweet. It's incredible to see his family as well. What a triumph.

AnnieColleen
08-11-2008, 03:35 AM

Try here:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestrian/index.html

Oberon
08-11-2008, 03:45 AM
A GB woman won the bicycle race in the pouring rain. Boy, was she ecstatci! I love those scenes. I love the winners, I love the losers, I love the heroic efforts, I love the people from all the nations having fun together, But I do tend to favor the USA. In spite of it's lousy reputation and lousy mismanagement on the world stage. It's the individuals, though, who are important.

akiwiguy
08-11-2008, 05:01 AM
When are they bringing back the rugger??? Best sport ever!

A strange fact in a way, given that rugby I suspect would be a little known sport in US...

In 1924 (the last time it was an Olympic sport) the gold medal was won by the USA, beating France in the final. They were the Olympics upon which Chariots of Fire was based, but crowds for the Rugby final vastly outnumbered those for the track and field.

Fenika
08-11-2008, 05:10 AM
I spent 18 months in NZ. I miss rugby. Go Blacks!

Why in the world would they remove rugby if it was so popular???

akiwiguy
08-11-2008, 05:22 AM
I spent 18 months in NZ. I miss rugby. Go Blacks!

Why in the world would they remove rugby if it was so popular???

I was surprised... I was looking at the list of sports and thought sevens rugby was one, because I'm sure NZ won a gold last time. It must have been a demonstration sport.

The US will get more heavily into rugby for sure.. in the professional era it's inevitable. It's starting with major test matches being played outside competing countries to expose the sport (we play Aussie in Hong Kong soon, and I think similar matches are planned for US).

And I read the other day that a group of NZ teams, including my own province Taranaki, have been in serious dialog regarding a competition of 24 teams that will include at least one US-based one and will replace our domestic competiton.

Fenika
08-11-2008, 05:24 AM
Awesome (about the last bits). When's the rugby start up again?

(oh, and um, yay, gymnastics.)

maxmordon
08-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Bah, all our hopes are dead. They put our small fishes against big sharks and got screwed by the world's greatest sportsmen

akiwiguy
08-11-2008, 06:06 AM
Bah, all our hopes are dead. They put our small fishes against big sharks and got screwed by the world's greatest sportsmen

So who did win the gold in fish-fighting?

i.e. What soprt are you talking Max?

maxmordon
08-11-2008, 06:14 AM
sports...

We got to compete first with China in volleyball, our biker on cycling fell and got 30th place, our great fencing hope (ranked as the greatest fencer of its category) got eliminated by the second best-rated fencer, our swimmer arrived first on her group but didn't qualify because of the time and we must play against US in softball

akiwiguy
08-11-2008, 06:23 AM
sports...

We got to compete first with China in volleyball, our biker on cycling fell and got 30th place, our great fencing hope (ranked as the greatest fencer of its category) got eliminated by the second best-rated fencer, our swimmer arrived first on her group but didn't qualify because of the time and we must play against US in softball

That seems unfair. Wouldn't seeding prevent that from happening, or at least until near finals.

Jo
08-11-2008, 06:54 AM
I think my sig. says who I'm following, but I appreciate talent, so am barracking for all. Go, you fit things! Go world!

Deccydiva
08-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Go Ireland! :hooray:
Probably one of the smallest Countries competing!

Fenika
08-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Geeze, neither Poland nor NZ have earned any metals yet. What's going on. Anyone know any events worth watching tonight???

Shadow_Ferret
08-12-2008, 01:48 AM
and we must play against US in softball
Don't worry. We suck at softball unless there's a quarterbarrel sitting on second base.

I can't believe softball is even a sport but real baseball is out. Who makes these decisions?

Fenika
08-12-2008, 02:19 AM
People against rugby and baseball apparently...

SLThomas
08-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Go Canada Go! Go Team Canada Go! Go Canada Go!

Go Quebec and French-Canadian athletes in Team Canada Go! Allez les athlètes québécois et Canadiens-Français d'Équipe-Canada go!

After the disastrous first week our medal count picked up two days ago.Good. Me happy.

SLThomas
08-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Don't worry. We suck at softball unless there's a quarterbarrel sitting on second base.

I can't believe softball is even a sport but real baseball is out. Who makes these decisions?

Yeah, softball for the ladies and baseball for the men.

How quaint!

qwerty
08-18-2008, 02:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canoe_racing

I suppose I should be saying GO GB! but I'm like others here - cheering all amazing feats of talent/dicipline/courage/dedication and whatever it takes to even take part.

On the other hand, our Brits have done us proud. And Rebecca Adlington's two swimming golds, plus breaking a world record set around the time she was born, has to mean she'll become Dame Adlington. Not sure if that's cool or not for a nineteen-year-old.

donroc
08-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Go, best talent.