#^%$&^$@* spammers are hacking sites now

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I took off on a random tour of the Infinite Fractal Loop, a webring for fractal art sites, and hit a big speedbump. A large and lovely collection of fractal galleries, Anne's Fractal Menagerie, had been hacked. The index page is a slobbering mess of half-arse code-ends and spam, with no links left to the rest of the site. It must have happened quite recently; I got in by viewing the page code to find links hidden by the spam mess, and there is an August "Fractal of the Month".

Watch your sites, peeps, and use good passwords. Not that that will help if your host is insecure from the bottom up, but...

Anyway, I'm highly ticked off right now and there is no place to plant my fist.

See the hidden galleries starting at: http://fractal.sphosting.com/gallery7.html

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Just as an FYI, this is not new. It's been happening for a very long time.

If you have a website, you need to make sure that you keep all the apps on it up to date. That includes forum software, CMS and blogging apps, photo gallery software, and so on. Security holes are exploited all the time, usually in outdated software. It's the same caveat as for antivirus software - keep it up to date.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why do people do that? I've never understood. It's vandalism.

'Because I can.' Never seemed like a good answer.

Theories anyone?

Unique - once again not understanding humanity

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
General consensus is that they're usually teenaged pimply boys who can't girls so take their frustrations out on others. :) Another factor is the brag bit - there are actually competitions, bragging fests, and so on among hackers to brag about which sites they took down or defaced. Some claim that it's to alert site owners to the vulnerability of their site (this class usually just inserts a new index.html page and leaves the rest of the site completely intact.)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hmm.....

Okay. I see it. I, myself, prefer constructive to destructive - but ...

thankx.