Actor/Comedian Bernie Mac Dies

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, 50's young. Did I miss the cause of death in the article? I'd be curious to know.

Maryn, older than that and still kickin'

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Wow, 50's young. Did I miss the cause of death in the article? I'd be curious to know.

Maryn, older than that and still kickin'

".... complications due to pneumonia, his publicist confirmed.

Mac, 50, had been hospitalized for about a week at Northwestern Hospital, according to his spokeswoman. A few years ago, Mac disclosed that he suffered from sarcoidosis, a rare autoimmune disease that causes inflammation in tissue, most often in the lungs."

OFG, older than that and still kickin', too...

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Watched Ocean's 11 a couple of days ago. He made me laugh a lot. Cheers, Bernie.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Read my post above yours, Spook... unless you're asking the existential 'why'. Can't help there.

But I've seen a nice thread over in TV and Movies, so I think I'm gonna fly this puppy over there, just for tidiness sake. Hang on!

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
R.I.P Bernie Mac. Prayers go out to his family.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
I never met him, but he only lived a couple of miles from us and my sister-in-laws boyfriend used to detail his cars for a handsome tip I might add,,,,Great talent who worked hard is entire life and in some repects like Rodney Dangerfield really only got noticed later in life for his exceptional talent, its a shame, a true shame, and he will be missed. God Speed, Bernie...

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
50 is damned scary. I work in a nursing home with people on the payroll 20 years his senior. Sad that it was another disease that science has yet to kick the crap out of.

We were watching Transformers the other day. His flim-flam car salesman bit was a gas, that and the crooked security cop on Bad Santa. Vile but funny flick.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sux. :(

RIP.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm shocked and sad. I like Bernie. He was really good in the Ocean films. Gosh, 50 years old. That's so young.

He'll be missed.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
He was great in Oceans 11. Guess Who? was hilarious. His standup comedy was funny, too.

I didn't see too much of The Bernie Mac Show, but I always thought he was a fine actor.

allen

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so out of pop culture I'd never heard of him before, so now I wonder what I missed. Scott Simon of NPR's Weekend Edition (I guess I'm listening to The Old Folk's Radio Network now...) had a story on his death, and played a short clip of him doing a routine. I still wondered "Bernie who?"

Back when I was 12 (1970), there were the deaths of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin, both age 27, and I hadn't recall hearing of either one before they died (back then I think it was as much my parents being overprotective as not being into pop culture - I knew the Beatles really well thanks to an older sister's influence). In the spring of 1971 I heard Janis's recording of "Me and Bobby Mcgee" on the radio all the time, and thought gee, she's got this really big hit song, and she's not even alive to enjoy the fame and money...

Frank Zappa died at age 52, and unless something quite sudden and bad happens, I'll outlive him. But it seems extremely unlikely I'll "out-accomplish" any of these people, though I guess that's okay...