Red Clam Sauce Recipe

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I've shared with Silver King and he raves about it. This is the original recipe. I vary it somewhat when I make it (and I don't use quite that much garlic, but that's just my own taste).

I usually serve this with angel hair pasta, but I've also tried it with fusilli.

Red Clam Sauce

2 cups chopped onions
1 large green pepper, chopped
8 cloves garlic, minced
12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons water
4 6 ½ -ounce cans minced clams, with liquid
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 dried red peppers (hot) or ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 6-ounce can tomato paste

1. In a 4-quart covered saucepan, sauté onions, green pepper, garlic, and mushrooms in olive oil and water over medium heat until onions are translucent.
2. Add remaining ingredients and simmer, covered, over low heat for 45 minutes.

Makes 10 cups
Per cup: 4 g. total fat; 0.5 g. saturated fat; 26 mg cholesterol; 139 calories; 3 g. fiber, 389 mg sodium.

From the book One Meal At a Time by Martin Katahn.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually entertain thoughts of red or white clam sauce at this hour, but I copied this for future reference. Sounds yummy!

One thought I had is that if a person freezes chopped green pepper, like I sometimes do, and keeps a bag of onions around, this could be one of those meals that's always available, even if life conspired to keep you from the grocery store. Any thoughts on whether canned mushrooms would do? The fresh guys would, of course, be superior, but they only keep for five days or so.

Maryn, who buys mushrooms every time she shops

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think canned mushroom would be just fine in a recipe like this. I think I've used canned mushrooms before.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I can taste this one right now, Alley.

I might leave the green peppers out and find a way to add a half a cup of chianti or so to the mix, but that's just a personal preference.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
I might leave the green peppers out and find a way to add a half a cup of chianti or so to the mix, but that's just a personal preference.

If you like the flavor of green peppers but not the texture, instead of chopping you can cut the pepper in half (remove seeds) and cook it in the sauce, then remove the halves before serving.

~A trick taught to me by an old Italian grandmother and wonderful cook.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
If you like the flavor of green peppers but not the texture, instead of chopping you can cut the pepper in half (remove seeds) and cook it in the sauce, then remove the halves before serving.

~A trick taught to me by an old Italian grandmother and wonderful cook.

Great idea, CatSlave. I also thought of roasting the pepper before adding it. Either way, I think it would work for me.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat, this recipe has become one of the ones I make over and over. I've grown confident enough to make minor variations to accommodate the family member who hates-hates-hates green pepper and to accommodate my own preference for crimini mushrooms. I've also discovered the finished sauce freezes well, so one batch is two meals, easy.

So again, thanks for posting this!

Maryn, who made this Wednesday

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, Maryn. Just about everyone I've shared this recipe with enjoys it.

I probably never make it exactly the same twice; I might add something one time, something else the next time.

bclement412

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I'm not a good cook but my mom loves to. She's not a chef or anything, but she just likes cooking :)

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I love clam sauce, but all the recipes tell you to take 40 fresh clams (or such) but here in the center of North America, fresh clams cost 70¢ each. This has canned clams, which I can actually afford. I'm trying this.

Gawd, I love clams!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I love clam sauce, but all the recipes tell you to take 40 fresh clams (or such) but here in the center of North America, fresh clams cost 70¢ each. This has canned clams, which I can actually afford. I'm trying this.

Gawd, I love clams!

In the center of North America half the fresh clams we get are already dead. But canned clams make great sauce.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Even though I can get fresh at Wegmans, I don't bother. I buy the canned. Shucking clams and getting all the sand out is a pain in the butt, and I always scratch my hands up.

Maryn, big fan of the canning process

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a recipe I've shared with Silver King and he raves about it...
I love this recipe and have tried it a number of times since Alley shared it with me. I've tweaked it here and there by adding Italian seasoning, using diced plum tomatoes and their juices instead of straight sauce and adding a pinch of granulated sugar to the mixture.

What I like most, aside from the flavor, is that it's fairly quick and easy to make.

One day, when I'm not feeling so sentimental, I'll share a recipe that my dad taught me: spaghetti with a white salmon sauce. It's really, really good, much better than it sounds. :)

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
SilverKing, I'm waiting with baited breath, because how else am I going to catch a salmon?

Seriously, we eat a lot of salmon and although I prepare it several ways, there's a sameness to a lot of them. New approaches more than welcome!

Maryn, thinking it's cold enough here to drop in unannounced on Florida members

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
One day, when I'm not feeling so sentimental, I'll share a recipe that my dad taught me: spaghetti with a white salmon sauce. It's really, really good, much better than it sounds. :)

This sounds wonderful! Salmon with pasta? What can be better?

My dad had a red sauce recipe he'd make and freeze every year. Hw was Jewish but grew up in NYC right next to Little Italy and had a very good Italian friend. He got the recipe from his friend's mother, who was from the old country. It uses canned stuff, too but is really, really yummy.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere I have a killer white clam sauce recipe which involves opening several cans of things. If I can find it, I'll post it. I wouldn't deal with a fresh clam if they were given to me free. Some things are just supposed to be in cans.

MM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere I have a killer white clam sauce recipe which involves opening several cans of things. If I can find it, I'll post it. I wouldn't deal with a fresh clam if they were given to me free. Some things are just supposed to be in cans.

MM

No, no. A hundred years or so ago I lived in Maine. Then fresh clams were perfect. Now, mid continent, they're less so. I'd rather have fresh, but I've got an aversion to eating dead clams. So canned have to do.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, I did this the other night. I'm no good at finding threads, so thanks, it was great. I added a little heavy cream, it helps the sauce stick to the pasta.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
SilverKing, I'm waiting with baited breath, because how else am I going to catch a salmon?

This sounds wonderful! Salmon with pasta? What can be better?
I've shared the recipe here. If you'd like some real excitement, double or even triple the amount of black and red crushed peppers mentioned in the ingredients. ;)