Tom Cruise: Disliked More Than Madonna?

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a story I read on FoxNews website, concerning the books written about each star and how many have sold.

Tom Cruise: Disliked More Than Madonna?

Madonna has millions of fanatic fans, but not so many that want to know about her dirty laundry.

According to Nielsen’s Book Scan, the book “Life with My Sister Madonna,” by the publicity-seeking pop star’s brother Christopher Ciccone, has been a resounding flop. Total sales: 35,000.

To make matters worse, Madonna is less disliked, let’s say, by people willing to fork over $20, than Tom Cruise. Andrew Morton’s biography of Cruise has sold 50,000 copies, according to BookScan.

--- article continues at link above in title.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
35,000 and 50,000 copies sold are respectable numbers, but I imagine their publishers expected higher sales than that. I wonder if they earned out their advances?

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
Ba Ha! lol okay. I personally don't like either of them, well I don't hate them just not fussed by either :)

BrittaMoline

I'm not Paul Avery.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
notpaulavery.blogspot.com
There's a tremendous glut of biographies of Madonna. I'm not a huge fan but I have a friend who is. He must have a dozen. Gold-digging brother should have gotten into the market earlier.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just when you thought your family was dysfunctional, how screwed up do you have to be when your own brother is trying to pimp you out to sell a lousy book?

I don't know if Tom Cruise is disliked more than Madonna or not. He's a control freak who belongs to a religion that is either creepy or misunderstood. Madonna is just a young star who got old right along with the rest of us but still thinks people are fascinated by who she has sex with. Sorry. We're not.

Apparently the public prefers to spend its money on something more significant than sleazy tell-alls. Good for them!

:Thumbs:

Last edited:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I know many Madonna fans and they didn't buy the book for the simple fact they didn't what to read what her brother had to say. I don't think it shows that people don't like her.

Reaction score
How can she be LESS disliked when the book about her sold less copies?

Shouldn't the thread title be "Tom Cruise: liked more than Madonna"?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
How can she be LESS disliked when the book about her sold less copies?

Shouldn't the thread title be "Tom Cruise: liked more than Madonna"?

Yes. I do believe you were the first to pick up on the double-negative nature of this debate. Kudos to you.

Unless of course these were negative bios?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tom just needs to go to Africa and adopts some babies. Of course, sometimes the African parents don't want to let go of them but large amounts of cash usually smooths the transition.

Reaction score
And Madonna needs to jump on Oprah's couch and stop hanging out with cute little babies- oh, sorry; that's Jesus Luz. My mistake.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I don't dislike either of these people. I think the reason books about them don't sell is because it would be like books about the person you live with, who cares? Every detail of their lives are on the television and in print and have been for twenty or more years. Why in the hell would I spend twenty or thirty dollars to read about them? There are real great authors established, and great ones waiting to be discovered, I don't need to read trash.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I dislike Tom Cruise more but I don't have to read a book about either to know I hate them. I don't think Jodie Foster's brother did too well on his book about her, either. Who else's brother has ratted them out?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know them personally so I can't say I dislike them. TC is a little off the wall but so am I. Madonna is certainly eccentric but again so am I :)

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I hated Tom Cruise back in the 1980s because my college girlfriend loved him. I guess I was jealous, or something. Then I started watching his movies, and eventually became a fan. I'm not sure if he's a "talented actor" (whatever that means), but he's made quite a few good movies and a couple great ones. Also, I'm shorter-than-average (height and build similar to Tom's), so I like his "yeah, I'm not a big guy, but I can do big things" attitude.

The Scientology stuff seems kind of freaky, but hey -- it's not like he's a child molester, or something like that.

Not sure if I'll ever read the Morton bio. I'm generally skeptical about showbiz biographies, for some reason.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather read Morton's book because I've seen his name on books before, most notably the one about Princess Diana, and this was BEFORE she died.

I didn't even know Madonna had a brother. But I do have her book, the big picture book with the three-letter title and the aluminum covers. Because it's collectible, of course (really - virtually ALL used copies are selling for more than the new price!).

But yeah, an entertainment column writer's gotta write about something, and noticing there are two books out on celebrities, comparing their sales to write an article is a "natural" thing to do, though I think it has little to do with these celebs' relative popularity.

ETA: How about Office Party or PC&E for this thread? Does it really have much to do with "life writing" other than two people with books written about them? I see nothing that helps me write such a book, other than "pick a celebrity and start writing, and you too can sell 35,000+ copies."

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I never, ever liked Tom Cruise. I remember back in high school, all my friends had pictures of him in his skivvies up in their lockers, while I had pictures of Jimmy Page and Jamie West-Oram all over mine...

I was one of the original Madonna wannabees, though. I will freely admit to that. I can still get into her music.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, Tom Cruise died today. Fell off a cliff. It's on Google News.

CoriSCapnSkip

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, Tom Cruise died today. Fell off a cliff. It's on Google News.

Every April 1 someone tries to see how many people they can make believe that some celebrity died. A shame if one really does choose that day to exit.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
Not about Tom Cruise, but I was just wondering if anyone has read Michael J. fox's new book? It sounds interesting and he's always seemed to be a real down to earth guy to me.