My 75yr.old Bay Tree Was Murdered By Beetles!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I can't change beatles to beetles in the title, so forgive me.

:cry:I know this may sound stupid to some, but I'm so sad. When I walked into the far part of my backyard this morning I noticed my huge 75 yr.old Red Bay Tree was dead. Last weekend it was standing tall, lush and completly green and alive, now it's brown and gone. These stupid ambrosia beetles must have attacked it and killed it off in one weeks time. They've been attacking all the Red Bay trees and killing them off and there's no cure. I hope it doesn't get my Avocado's. It's like one day you see it and it's completely alive, then the next it's brown and dead. From what I hear, Florida is afraid these damn beetles will kill off all the Bays. They were asking people to save seeds so the stock doesn't die off forever.

This tree is special because it was our first line of defense and protection from the horrid hurricanes of 04'. I live on a barrier island and there's just two houses in front of me and then there's the Atlantic. The people behind me have nothing planted in their yard, so their houses got ripped up. I've got a jungle, so my house was one of the very, very lucky ones and a big thanks goes out to this huge tree. The thing must have been 60 ft. high and 40 ft. wide.Yep, I feel like I lost a dear friend.

Now comes the fun part........cutting down this mother! I guess I'll have enough firewood to get me through this winter if Florida is struck by a new ice age. I hate ambrosia beetles!:rant:

Neurotic

Militant apathist
Registered
Reaction score
Not so stupid. I can think of at least 3 trees around my mum's property I'd be sad to see die. (The one with my old treehouse, the big umbrella tree in the front yard and the kauri my dad planted when we first moved in.)

On a lighter note, I'm actually a little disappointed. I thought (hoped?) you meant Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr killed your tree. Because, you know, that would have been kind of cool. In a very sad, the tree is dead sort of way.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, that's so upsetting. The worst thing about losing a great tree is that it's truly irreplacable and leaves you wondering if nature really knows what she's doing.:e2shrug: You must feel so helpless... here's a small token to cheer you up :e2flowers

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Just think what a bunch of Rolling Stones would do to a tree.

Seriously, joyce, that's a shame. It's always sad to lose grand trees.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't cut it down! Or at least not all of it. Let it have a second 'life' as a home to insects which will feed the birds and mammals around your property.
The cycle of life and death is very important. I'm sorry about your tree but try to leave something for nature to benefit from :(

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Speaking of Paul McCartney... he and new GF came through Oklahoma City last week on a 'Route 66' vacation. They stopped in Bricktown (a cool entertainment/restaurant area close to downtown) and had lunch at the chi-chi joint of the moment, Nona's.

[/derail]

Okay. I'll fix the title now. :) Carry on.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure Mick Jagger could wrap his lips around your beatle problems. Too bad about the tree.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't cut it down! Or at least not all of it. Let it have a second 'life' as a home to insects which will feed the birds and mammals around your property.
The cycle of life and death is very important. I'm sorry about your tree but try to leave something for nature to benefit from :(

Thanks everyone. I know this would have been much more exciting if Ringo had been here chipping away at it.

That's what makes me even sadder. This tree has been a home to critters for years now. I've went out of my way to plant my yard with plants/trees natural to the area to give the animals a place to eat and hang out.

It's crazy how the big old girl stood tall and tough through all those storms that ripped everything else apart, but some stupid little beetle killed it in a week.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Bahamutchild has a point--if the tree isn't too close to your home etc. where falling while going back to nature wouldn't endanger you & yours. Look for natural enemies to the damned beetles like praying mantises etc and make your home exterior more friendly to such bugs.

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
"To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven"​

That sad part is when non-indigenous species wreak havoc with the indigenous ones, skewing the statistical odds of natural selection.

I hope your tree is in tree heaven now…

Last edited:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bahamutchild has a point--if the tree isn't too close to your home etc. where falling while going back to nature wouldn't endanger you & yours. Look for natural enemies to the damned beetles like praying mantises etc and make your home exterior more friendly to such bugs.

According to scientists, there's nothing out there to kill them. They drag these little sacs of fungus with them and bore into the tree and leave the fugus and their eggs. The eggs hatch and eat the fungus, then the little buggers carry their sacs somewhere else. The fungus moves through the trees vessels causing vascular wilt.

Trust me, as hot as it is.......this tree ain't going no where for a long time. Anyone wishing to make a home there, has my best wishes.:D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer that really stinks sorry about your tree.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, that sucks. Seriously. My favorite tree - a pretty little sugar maple - was killed in a very nasty late-season snowstorm about ten years ago. Woke up to 15 inches of snow as wet and heavy as fresh concrete, no power - and my maple tree cracked in half almost to the ground, with sap pouring down it like it was bleeding to death. It spent the next month or so dying a slow death before it finally had to come down. I still miss that tree.

There are two big oak trees in the front yard that grew so close together that they look like they're joined at the trunk. I'd hate to see them go. They're so striking. There's another oak out back that, so help me, looks just like one of the trees from The Wizard of Oz. It looks like it has a face on the trunk. That's another one I'd hate to see go.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Whenever a tree is cut down on my neighbor's or my property, I go out with my chains and whip and make sure the tree guys leave a good portion for the woodpeckers. Of course having a whole mountain ash must have made them (the birds) happy...I was happy that when it went down it didn't take out my windows. It sure did wake me up. :roll: I miss that one because I knew its parent when I was a child.

I mourn one of the old oaks in the park near my home. There was a trio. The Great Mother Oak and her son (I have watched that one grow all my life) are still there, but the Father Oak was destroyed several years ago. Now a pine near that spot is gone. They will not be replaced, or if they ever are, not by native trees.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Walk gently on the Earth. She is our Mother and she Loves us.

I'm so sorry. I'm a biologist and I do feel your pain. :cry:
My college advisor asked me why I didn't want to go into ecology.

I said, 'CB - They'd hire me and pay me big bucks .... but then they wouldn't take my advice! It would make me CRAZY.'

It would cost "too much" or whatever. I know how the game is played. :(

According to scientists, there's nothing out there to kill them.

Not even in their native country? Fungus is tough. It's not like bacteria. It's closer to our type of cell than bacteria. Deep in the tree - tougher still. But nothing? BS.

Difficult? Sure. Expensive? Probably. Require research and dedication? You damn betcha. But impossible? NFW.

Our world is out of harmony. Globalization is a two edged sword. Be careful how you play with it.

I'm so sorry. I know how I'd feel. I watched them rape the woods across the street - and leave a big mess behind. :(

///:::steps off soap box and goes back outside to play:::///

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Walk gently on the Earth. She is our Mother and she Loves us.

I'm so sorry. I'm a biologist and I do feel your pain. :cry:
My college advisor asked me why I didn't want to go into ecology.

I said, 'CB - They'd hire me and pay me big bucks .... but then they wouldn't take my advice! It would make me CRAZY.'

It would cost "too much" or whatever. I know how the game is played. :(

Not even in their native country? Fungus is tough. It's not like bacteria. It's closer to our type of cell than bacteria. Deep in the tree - tougher still. But nothing? BS.

Difficult? Sure. Expensive? Probably. Require research and dedication? You damn betcha. But impossible? NFW.

Our world is out of harmony. Globalization is a two edged sword. Be careful how you play with it.

I'm so sorry. I know how I'd feel. I watched them rape the woods across the street - and leave a big mess behind. :(

///:::steps off soap box and goes back outside to play:::///

I've spent almost 19 years building a place for wildlife in my yard. I see these new houses going up and the first thing they do is wipe out all the vegetation, then replace it with non native species, if at all. I see so many species of birds, especially in the winter, it's amazing. Visitors to my house are amazed at all the butterflys, birds, and everything else roaming around. I just love it! I feel its my little contribution back to Mother Earth. As I stated earlier, my jungle saved my house in all the hurricanes. I remember looking out the window and seeing a mother cardinal and her two babies perched up against the house behind a bush......waiting. When the storm ended I remember worrying about her and did she and her children make it. They did and came to eat when I put out food. Nature is a wonderful thing.:)