PDA

View Full Version : The view from the parking lot yesterday

Pagey's_Girl
08-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Or, why I decided NOT to go for a walk at lunch...

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d81/ladymadrigal/photo008.jpg

That's looking across the street from where I work. The storm was hammering the next town over. We weren't getting any rain right then, but the wind was howling.

SpookyWriter
08-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Here's what I had to look forward.

http://www.playdeadpics.com/images/photos/lg/25.jpg

Perks
08-09-2008, 05:56 AM
That's very pretty. Not Spooky's, PG's. Not that I'd be keen to walk in it either, but I do love a good storm.

Williebee
08-09-2008, 05:58 AM
So, PG... Did you fly a kite???

robeiae
08-09-2008, 05:59 AM
Who did you get to take your picture, Spooky?

Pagey's_Girl
08-09-2008, 06:01 AM
We get those on occasion, too, Spooky. I've spent so much of my working life at a huge company with a cloistered campus set well back away from the rest of the world that working at a place out on the main (literally, Main) street seems a bit odd.

Pagey's_Girl
08-09-2008, 06:02 AM
So, PG... Did you fly a kite???

Nope. My hair sticks out enough as it is without any help.

SpookyWriter
08-09-2008, 06:03 AM
Who did you get to take your picture, Spooky?A good Samaritian. Who helped himself to the contents of my wallet.

Unique
08-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Mmm...I love a good storm. Not saying I'd go play in it either. But there's just something about that majestic power that makes me all tingly inside.
(no pun intended) (well - maybe a little bit)

Hey. The sidewalk will still be there on Monday, right? Right? You can take a walk then.
Or did it all break loose and wash your town away?

Inquiring minds (nosy) want to know. ;)

Susie
08-09-2008, 06:15 AM
Here's what I had to look forward.

http://www.playdeadpics.com/images/photos/lg/25.jpg

Spooky, is that you, again? Ya look good. :D Beautiful pic. Looks dangerous, though. Hope it was ok.

C.bronco
08-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Susie's right!
Pagey, move to the East Coast.

Appalachian Writer
08-09-2008, 06:38 AM

That's looking across the street from where I work. The storm was hammering the next town over. We weren't getting any rain right then, but the wind was howling.

I know this sounds a little off *she's tried to hide her insanity for so long* but I think this is an absolutely beautiful picture, especially the 'light' in the center of the storm. Is that lightning or what Dickinson called 'that certain slant of light?

Susie
08-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Susie's right!
Pagey, move to the East Coast.

I luv being right! What am I right about? :D

maestrowork
08-09-2008, 01:41 PM
I LOVE thunderstorms.

Deccydiva
08-09-2008, 01:55 PM

I agree, stunning pic.
Spooky - nothing like that ever happens in Longford. In fact, nothing happens in Longford... :Shrug:

SherryTex
08-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Gorgeous pic. I love thunderstorms. I love rain. Met my husband because he offered to walk me home and had an umbrella and the rest as they say is history...bring on the rain!

ahem....sorry if I derailed thread.

Maryn
08-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Sherry, in a further derailment--that's how my parents met, too.

Maryn, whose city witnessed a waterspout yesterday over Lake Ontario

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
I luv being right! What am I right about? :D

But don't you hate when you're right and no one will tell you what it's about? :)

Pagey's_Girl
08-10-2008, 04:41 AM
Actually, I am on the east coast. :) Almost exactly halfway between NYC and Albany.

The sun was trying to come out around the edges of the cloud, which made it look even darker and eerier - we just got the fringe, but a friend over in Connecticut said he got golfball-sized hail from that storm. So we lucked out. Today was the first day in over a week that's been totally dry, but they're predicting storms for tomorrow afternoon again. (Actually, today would have been a perfect day to get caught in a Groundhog Day-type loop - it was gorgeous.)

antebellum
08-10-2008, 05:35 AM
I think a thunderstorm's about to start here, too. It started to get windy and dark clouds moved in just as I started to read this thread - I think your picture caused it! ;)

Clair Dickson
08-10-2008, 06:16 AM
I just drove through a strange, narrow band of thunderstorm. Didn't look nearly as threatening as your pics, but DANG the rain came down so hard and so fast I couldn't see the road I was driving on.

Every time I think I've driven through the hardest rain yet, there's always another one that tops it... making me a little concerned since I was barely moving and still couldn't see the hood in this last one.

I like thunderstorms best when I'm safe, inside, and at home. And I seem to be in one of those rare locations that gets skipped by the most severe weather. =) I'm good with that.

Susie
08-10-2008, 07:04 AM
But don't you hate when you're right and no one will tell you what it's about? :)

Yep, Jen. I guess I'll just have to make something up. That's fun, too. :D

MsK
08-10-2008, 08:03 AM
I love thunderstorms too- And we don't get enough of them here in Southern California. Sigh...

Unique
08-10-2008, 03:34 PM
I like thunderstorms best when I'm safe, inside, and at home. And I seem to be in one of those rare locations that gets skipped by the most severe weather. =) I'm good with that.

Me, too. I've watched storms split on the Doppler radar and leave where I am untouched. I call it the 'weather dead zone'. Wish I could see it from 10,000 feet cuz I'd really like to know WHY.

(God likes you, Unique. You want it to change or what. Shut up.)