PDA

View Full Version : The Olympics thread

maxmordon
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Awesome opening or what? I am so excited, since the Venezuelan team has great oportunities this year (with Diliana Mendez and Andreina Pinto)

smoothseas
08-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Awesome opening or what? I am so excited, since the Venezuelan team has great oportunities this year (with Diliana Mendez and Andreina Pinto)

I have to admit, I'm an Olympics junkie - both the summer and winter games.

What events do Diliana and Andreina compete in? I'll be cheering for them!

trumancoyote
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Are you kidding? I was actually relatively excited about the opening this year (because they've been CRAZY secretive about it here in Beijing), but China dropped the ball BIG TIME. I think some of the performances they chose were very poorly suited to the atmosphere and sheer size of the Bird's Nest, and they completely looked over performances brilliantly suited to the events -- like Wushu.

Big waste of money and a poor representation of Chinese culture.

maxmordon
08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Diliana is on shooting and Andriena is in Swimming... a lot of people don't think we have a chance since our first conpetitions will be against US and China...

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Wait. The opening isn't until tonight.

But I've always found the Opening Ceremonies to be overblown and pretentious.

trumancoyote
08-08-2008, 08:31 PM
The opening ceremony just ended, bro.

And yes, it was four hours of... boring.

mscelina
08-08-2008, 08:33 PM
LMAO! You guys are posting spoilers to the opening ceremonies which no one in the US has seen yet (to my knowledge--I certainly haven't and won't until 7:30 pm EST) and that is meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeean.

But that's okay. I'm always excited when the Olympics roll around! Shame that Russia chose today to bomb Georgia, when the original purpose of the reinstitution of the Olympics was a two-week international truce. Sad.

trumancoyote
08-08-2008, 08:40 PM
There's nothing spoileriffic in this thread, other than the ceremonies sucked, which you'll all find out soon enough.

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 08:41 PM
There's nothing spoileriffic in this thread, other than the ceremonies sucked, which you'll all find out soon enough.
But they ALWAYS suck, so what's new? The French one was horrid.

melaniehoo
08-08-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm watching the teams parade in now. It's extra confusing for me because the Chinese is translated into Spanish. *sigh*

trumancoyote
08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Heheh. Yeah, and the teams are introduced in what might be considered Chinese "stroke-count" order, which means from the lowest number of strokes in the beginning character of the country's (Chinese) name, to the highest.

If that makes sense.

In any case -- confusing for the rest of the world. At first I thought they were introducing countries in order from least to most favorite :D Hah.

Too bad those bastids didn't put me on the Olympic committee. I coulda' spiced that shit up a tad.

maxmordon
08-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm watching the teams parade in now. It's extra confusing for me because the Chinese is translated into Spanish. *sigh*

Here they had the Chinese ambassador translating... not a good idea, since his Spanish seems a bit limited...

maxmordon
08-08-2008, 08:51 PM
. At first I thought they were introducing countries in order from least to most favorite :D Hah.

That's why they put Venezuela over Mexico, US and Colombia :D

melaniehoo
08-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Heheh. Yeah, and the teams are introduced in what might be considered Chinese "stroke-count" order, which means from the lowest number of strokes in the beginning character of the country's (Chinese) name, to the highest.

If that makes sense.

In any case -- confusing for the rest of the world. At first I thought they were introducing countries in order from least to most favorite :D Hah.

Too bad those bastids didn't put me on the Olympic committee. I coulda' spiced that shit up a tad.

Ahhhhhhh. I could NOT figure out the order. I figured it was alphabetical in Chinese, but stroke order is quite interesting!

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 09:37 PM
"stroke-count"
There's a really dirty joke in there dying to get out, but I'm not touching it.

melaniehoo
08-08-2008, 09:39 PM
There's a really dirty joke in there dying to get out, but I'm not touching it.

Mm-hmm.

melaniehoo
08-08-2008, 09:55 PM
They're about to light the torch!

This is cool!

CACTUSWENDY
08-08-2008, 10:06 PM
I will be interested to see how well the tests go with the air pollution as bad as they say it is. How in the world can outside folks breathe? I think the runners and swimmers will have a tuff time.
They have already told everyone not to drink the water because it is bad. It should make for an interesting time. IMHO

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Why does Melanie get to watch it. We don't get to see it until this evening. :(

melaniehoo
08-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Why does Melanie get to watch it. We don't get to see it until this evening. :(

I'm special. :D

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I will be interested to see how well the tests go with the air pollution as bad as they say it is. How in the world can outside folks breathe? I think the runners and swimmers will have a tuff time.

I'm thinking it won't be much different than holding the Olympics at a high elevation where the air is thinner.

Of course there (at higher elevations) they don't risk emphesema and bronchitis.

maxmordon
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm special. :D

I saw it 3 hours ago, quite odd...

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 10:45 PM
I saw it 3 hours ago, quite odd...
Not so odd. America wants it to be shown in prime time so they can charge advertisers primo dollars.

melaniehoo
08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
No, odd that he and I saw it at different times and neither of us are in the US. Or China.

maxmordon
08-08-2008, 11:21 PM
A lot of people were quite confused with the whole Peking/Beijing matter... my aunt thought they were two diferent cities since the local media calls it Peking (in Spanish Pekín) while CNN español and ads writes it as Beijing

maxmordon
08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
I am just watching an interview with Julio César León, the first Venezuelan Olympic Athlete. They sent him to this Olympics as remembrance of 40 years of Venezuela at Olympics (he was in London '48) He is currently 82 and remembers that the government only paid the ticket while he had to pay hotel and hitchhike for his own... quite interesting

http://www.vtv.gob.ve/_Fotos/200806/120495981001213317001I.png

maestrowork
08-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Wait. The opening isn't until tonight.

But I've always found the Opening Ceremonies to be overblown and pretentious.

It's delayed replay in the US, which sucks. Why can't they show it live like in other countries? NBC sucks.

Cranky
08-09-2008, 02:54 AM
It's delayed replay in the US, which sucks. Why can't they show it live like in other countries? NBC sucks.

QFT. *scowls*

I'm recording it so that my boys can see it in the morning. This is the first time they'll watch and remember them, I think. I'm excited for them. :D

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Because, as I said on page one, they'll be able to get more advertising revenue showing it in prime time.

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 04:26 AM
OH, man. that giant scroll is so cool!

soleary
08-09-2008, 04:47 AM
I think I have a little crush on the Chinese expert giving the play by play in the US with Bob Costas and Matt Lauer.

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 04:51 AM
I liked the thing with the blocks, too, creating Chinese characters and such.

Jo
08-09-2008, 04:52 AM
We watched most of it live last night, but had to record the ending as it stretched to around 2am. The TV station even cut into the live stream for adverts before the teams came out, so we missed bits. *grumble*

If that makes sense.

Australia came out as team 202--third from last. It was a looooong wait.

BTW:

AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE!!!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Ol' Boy and I are enthralled. The sheer size of it is incredible.

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 05:01 AM
The Tai Chi thing with the energy on the panels is neat. But then I just love Tai Chi.

That announcer is an idiot. Saying something about doing karate around school kids. Karate is Japanese! This is Tai Chi, as much spiritual as it is physical.

soleary
08-09-2008, 05:17 AM
When is the parade of athletes? I feel like I've been watching this for over an hour and no athlete yet.

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 05:19 AM
That globe with the MC Escher people running along it was cool, too.

maxmordon
08-09-2008, 04:26 PM
The Chinese team is beating the Venezuelan team on Volleyball... we didn't had a chance...

Anything good for the US team?

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 05:40 PM
In vollyball? I thought US team women's vollyball was the defending gold metalists?

Women's basketball just defeated whoever they were playing.

nerds
08-09-2008, 05:44 PM
The Chinese team is beating the Venezuelan team on Volleyball... we didn't had a chance...

Anything good for the US team?

Not for the mens team, no -

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400786,00.html

maxmordon
08-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Not for the mens team, no -

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400786,00.html

That's awful, poor of them

Williebee
08-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm with Maestro. The delayed broadcast stuff sucks.

And then there's team "handball". It looks like indoor field hockey with no sticks. I didn't even know this game (sorry, sport.) existed.

Of course, by the middle of next week we'll ALL talk like we're EXPERTS in gymnastics, right? :)

Shadow_Ferret
08-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Handball?

http://img02.beijing2008.cn/20080809/Img214520878.jpg
That isn't handball. I've played handball. You have a little hard ball and an enclosed court.

dolores haze
08-10-2008, 05:50 PM
ETA: I'm really confused as to what time people are watching in different parts of the world. I hope I'm not spoiling anything for anyone.

Anyone see Dara Torres and team winning silver in the women's swimming relay? A 41 y.o. mother - the same as me. I don't know whether to hate her for setting the bar so high or just wallow in her wonderfulness.

And the Chinese men's gymnastic team is looking pretty dang unbeatable. I was watching them with my kids - they just kept saying "wow!" Then they started jumping off the couch, trying to "stick" their landings. So cute!

Debs
08-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I'm watching so much sport I've nearly overdosed on it. YAY... Gold (1st, maybe only) for GBR in women's road race.

I've got tickets for the footie on Wednesday, New Zealand vs Belgium, & Honduras vs Korea. Bring it on.

Then we are off to Beijing on Saturday. Whoop! Whoop!

maestrowork
08-10-2008, 08:06 PM
We cheered so loud when Michael Phelps pulled away and won the 400m medley and set a world record. It was amazing to see him swim. He's the Mark Spitz of our generation and they only come along once a few decades. He's on his way to break Spitz's record (he has a potential of winning 8 golds). He could have won 7 golds last Olympics had he not given his spot to his friend and teammate on the relay team because he wanted his friend to experience the Olympics. Now that's sportsmanship.

The women's beach volleyball is very fun to watch. ;)

StoryG27
08-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Anyone see Dara Torres and team winning silver in the women's swimming relay? A 41 y.o. mother - the same as me. I don't know whether to hate her for setting the bar so high or just wallow in her wonderfulness. Yes, that was awesome!!!

And the Chinese men's gymnastic team is looking pretty dang unbeatable. I was watching them with my kids - they just kept saying "wow!" Then they started jumping off the couch, trying to "stick" their landings. So cute! I know, they are amazing! I keep finding myself cheering for them because they seem to have a history of coming in as the favorites and having something go wrong. I'd like to see it go right for them this time. They work so hard for it.

We cheered so loud when Michael Phelps pulled away and won the 400m medley and set a world record. It was amazing to see him swim. He's the Mark Spitz of our generation and they only come along once a few decades. He's on his way to break Spitz's record (he has a potential of winning 8 golds). He could have won 7 golds last Olympics had he not given his spot to his friend and teammate on the relay team because he wanted his friend to experience the Olympics. Now that's sportsmanship.

The women's beach volleyball is very fun to watch. ;)
I LOVE Phelps. Watching him swim is amazing. I LOVE the US women's beach volleyball too (though probably for very different reasons). My favorite team, the team I've been following for a while, is May/Walsh. They rule!

maestrowork
08-10-2008, 08:41 PM
I've played beach volleyball and it's not easy... especially a two-person team and all that sand... But it sure is great to watch. ;)

Cranky
08-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Last night was uber-exciting, and I'm bouncing around waiting to see what happens tonight.

Michael Phelps=teh awesome. *salaams*

dolores haze
08-11-2008, 08:09 AM
Oh, WOW! Westcoasters - DO NOT MISS the men's swimming relay.

Cranky
08-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Oh, WOW! Westcoasters - DO NOT MISS the men's swimming relay.

Let me ditto this, with emphasis.

Williebee
08-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Yesterday, women's beach volleyball was on while we were eating lunch at a sports bar.

I looked at DB and said. "Honey, you're sitting in a sports bar, with a plate full of fried food, watching scantily clad women cavort on a beach. We get you a beer and you're a guy."

Ranch dressing stains. Who knew?

Cranky
08-11-2008, 08:25 AM
*snort*

:roll:

Hathor
08-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm glad that less popular (in the US) sports are at least available online. It irks me every time that you can have endless coverage of some things, but others are essentially ignored.

Women's sabre for instance -- the possibility of a sweep was obvious to anyone who follows the sport. The US has been dominant internationally since at least 2000. NBC announces that they are going to show the gold medal bout and we had the TV on for hours waiting for them to show it. They couldn't be bothered to show the semifinals or the bronze medal bout. None of these things take a long time people (unlike epee or foil ;) ) They couldn't be bothered to rebroadcast at night.

Later on, they just show Mariel's last touch and a picture of the three with their medals. The next day they have a short interview with them. Did they rebroadcast the bouts with their commentary? Nope.

How can a sport become more popular if it isn't televised?

At least it is better than the last Olympics, when we watched online from some feed from Italian television. But they need to learn not to do instant replay. Too often the fencers had started up again before they finished. Meanwhile my daughter (the sabre fencer) is screaming at the computer ...

OK, I like to watch gymnastics, swimming, beach volleyball, basketball, etc. too -- but I enjoy the other sports as well.

I guess I have to get up early Thursday morning to see women's team sabre. Frustrating ...

Shadow_Ferret
08-12-2008, 02:14 AM
They couldn't be bothered to show the semifinals or the bronze medal bout.
Actually, they did show it. I was rooting against Ward. She was so obnoxious with that yelling and fist pumping every time she scored a point.

Unfortunately it was after the fact that they showed it and I already knew she won, but she was so obnoxious I was hoping the result would change.

akiwiguy
08-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Yesterday, women's beach volleyball was on while we were eating lunch at a sports bar.

I looked at DB and said. "Honey, you're sitting in a sports bar, with a plate full of fried food, watching scantily clad women cavort on a beach. We get you a beer and you're a guy."

Ranch dressing stains. Who knew?

I just couldn't figure the leap in popularity of women's pole vaulting at the last Olympics.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/grigorieva.jpg

Hathor
08-12-2008, 03:07 AM
I saw the last point on TV, not the entire bout. When did they broadcast it in full?

I guess you shouldn't watch any more fencing. :D Pretty much everyone with experience yells with every point, and does a fist pump, at least during competitions or in close bouts. Ward's yell isn't as extreme or long as those I've heard before (I've attended many, many competitions). No one considers yelling, etc. to be in poor taste. Coaches actually tell fencers to do this; it seems to improve the fencing. The only time yelling is considered bad form is if there is quite a mismatch of ability or the bout is not at all close. Yelling during a point would probably garner a penalty, though. (There is a system of penalties for different things.)

There was less yelling from Zagunis in the gold medal bout because it wasn't that close.

There are a few obnoxious fencers, but Rebecca Ward isn't one of them. (My daughter knows her and says she is as sweet as can be. She [my daughter] told me I had to respond to you :)) As I recall, her opponent was also yelling and doing the usual fist pump.

Just curious -- Did you think all the prolonged yelling when the US men won that swimming relay was obnoxious?

Shadow_Ferret
08-12-2008, 03:23 AM
I missed the men's relay. But I probably would have if it was "prolonged."

I guess I just find that sort of thing unsportsmanlike.

But I grew up in a time when athletes did what they came to do and acted like they'd done it before. Long before high fives or dances in the endzone or any of that other excessive exhortation every time they accomplish something.

Hathor
08-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I think it all depends on the sport and the situation.

No one in fencing seems to be bothered by an opponent yelling or deems it unsportsmanlike. In fact, they are most likely yelling themselves. It can be jarring for an audience member if you aren't used to it, however.

Yelling is more like a release valve/ reset than something directed at an opponent, from what I've been told. So there is more yelling the more difficult or important the bout. It doesn't seem to be planned; it just comes out.

People seem to get upset by poor behavior on the strip, like arguing with the director, throwing equipment on the ground, etc. (I once saw someone thrown out of a tournament for doing that.) Also upsetting is when people are standoffish before and after the bout (won't speak when spoken to, act like the other person doesn't exist) and the obligatory handshake after the bout is made without a smile, eye contact, or hand pressure, much less a "good bout."

I remember one direct elimination bout my daughter had with a good friend from her club. Both were yelling as much as usual. But before and after the bout they were hugging each other.

Shadow_Ferret
08-12-2008, 05:37 PM
It's been many years since I followed fencing. Pardon me if I don't remember the yelling. Maybe it was there, but I was pretty young. They haven't featured fencing on television for many many years.

It's always been something I thought I'd like to get into. I envy your daughter. :)

maestrowork
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
If you missed the men's 4x100m relay, catch it on YouTube. It's amazing. Jason Lezak is THE man.

Shadow_Ferret
08-12-2008, 05:52 PM
The Williams sisters are in the Olympics?

Hardly seems fair.

Why do they let PROFESSIONALS in the Olympics now? I think they should go back to amateurs only.

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Someone explain to me why horseriding is an Olympic event. The horse is doing all the work.

Soccer Mom
08-13-2008, 03:52 AM
Someone explain to me why horseriding is an Olympic event. The horse is doing all the work.

Don't make me crack you open like a walnut, Ferret. There is a difference in being a rider and a passenger.

Oh, how awesome was last night's gymanstics? The Chinese men finally got there gold and did it at home. And the American men were sooooo excited with their bronze. I wanted to huggle all of them. (and no--it had nothing to do with all that muscular young flesh. Shame on the lot of you for thinking that)

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 03:56 AM
Don't make me crack you open like a walnut, Ferret. There is a difference in being a rider and a passenger.

If you say so, still seems the horse is doing all the work. Jumping over poles and such. I admire the training it takes, but beyond that, I still don't see why it's an Olympic event.

nerds
08-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I love this quote:

"He is just a normal person, but maybe from a different planet."

said Russia's Alexander Sukhorukov, fresh off a thrashing by the Phelps-led Americans but still good enough to have a silver around his neck.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,402681,00.html

Soccer Mom
08-13-2008, 09:05 PM
If you say so, still seems the horse is doing all the work. Jumping over poles and such. I admire the training it takes, but beyond that, I still don't see why it's an Olympic event.

It's a lot more physically demanding than it looks. It is a physical challenge. But that's okay. Sporting events require more than pure raw strength. If shooting and archery belong in the Olympics, then equestrian events do as well.

Shadow_Ferret
08-13-2008, 09:34 PM
It's a lot more physically demanding than it looks. It is a physical challenge. But that's okay. Sporting events require more than pure raw strength. If shooting and archery belong in the Olympics, then equestrian events do as well.
Shooting and archery demand steady hands and exceptional sighting capabilities. It's all about hand/eye coordination.

Maybe NASCAR should be an Olympic event. It's a lot more physically demanding than it looks. ;)

Hathor
08-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Why do they let PROFESSIONALS in the Olympics now? I think they should go back to amateurs only.

My understanding is they went to allowing professionals so all countries would be treated equally. There were a number of communist countries where all living expenses and a salary were being paid to athletes, but they were ostensibly "amateurs." For instance, in my daughter's home club, there is a young woman from Russia. She was a member of the military before she came to this country and was being paid for being something like a helicopter mechanic. She knew nothing about the subject and never dealt with helicopters. She fenced, period.

I'm not saying that this is the right way to go, just explaining what happened. Or rather, my recollection of what happened ...

Shadow_Ferret
08-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Men's Synchronized Diving.

That's just wrong on so many levels.

And ew! *pokes his eyes out* The cameras are on! Stop adjusting yourself!

Feiss
08-15-2008, 04:29 AM
They have already told everyone not to drink the water because it is bad. It should make for an interesting time. IMHO

I've been to Beijing many times, a little bronchitis never hurt anybody. Haha. I still have my cough from 2007

Bayou Bill
08-15-2008, 05:39 AM
I just couldn't figure the leap in popularity of women's pole vaulting at the last Olympics.

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/grigorieva.jpg

And then there's this year's women's javelin event which boasts such impressive competitors as Lenyn Franco from Paraguay, honest.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8219/lerynfranco02ek7.jpghttp://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08tNcxi2GL1KL/340x.jpg

Bug-eyed Bayou Bill :cool:

Feiss
08-15-2008, 06:29 AM
And then there's this year's women's javelin event which boasts such impressive competitors as Lenyn Franco from Paraguay, honest.

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8219/lerynfranco02ek7.jpghttp://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08tNcxi2GL1KL/340x.jpg

Bug-eyed Bayou Bill :cool:

lol, yeah, she's super hot, but I think her ranking was like 42nd in the qualifying?

Bayou Bill
08-15-2008, 06:46 AM
lol, yeah, she's super hot, but I think her ranking was like 42nd in the qualifying?
I double-checked (hey, somebody had to, right?) - she was 42nd in the 2004 Olympics. Her personal best is 55.38 meters (181 ft), which means she probably won't reach the medal round but it's still impressive.

And if she falls by the wayside, there's the Feres twins, the Brazilian womens synchornized swimming team.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Robert Toy
08-15-2008, 06:59 AM
The Williams sisters are in the Olympics?

Hardly seems fair.

Now as spectators…:D

chevbrock
08-15-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi all,

I believe the reason for all the yelling at the fencing is to try and "trick" the judges into making them think they'd scored a point. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure you will!)

Equestrian is a team sport. Horse and rider have worked for years together to achieve that sort of perfection. It takes years before that to match the horse and rider.

Feiss
08-15-2008, 11:04 AM
I double-checked (hey, somebody had to, right?) - she was 42nd in the 2004 Olympics. Her personal best is 55.38 meters (181 ft), which means she probably won't reach the medal round but it's still impressive.

And if she falls by the wayside, there's the Feres twins, the Brazilian womens synchornized swimming team.

Yeah it is. That model could spear anyone good.

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 03:39 AM
When did they change the distance of the uneven bars in women's gymnastics? I remember when they used to bounce with their hips against the lower bar, almost wrapping around it. Now they can do full swings without even touching it.

RLB
08-16-2008, 08:26 AM
We've been relying on NBC.com to watch all our Olympics as we are TV-less this summer. I like it though because I am discovering all sorts of new sports that don't get a lot of coverage on the network.

Tonight I watched some women's heavyweight Judo - WOW - and realized Judo was nothing at all like I had pictured.

My husband has enjoyed watching badminton - he told me this with a straight face - so I am thinking of putting up a net in our yard.

And handball?? What the heck? We've already got soccer, and we've already got basketball... who thought up this lame hybrid?

ETA: Ah, I see others shared my handball confusion on page 2...

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 08:30 AM
Wait. Come again?

Olympic Badminton?

Aw, I missed the judo. I saw men's beach vollyball, something else, that Phelps guy win another medal just barely, and some 41-year-old woman win a swimming SPRINT race. A sprint race! 41 year olds aren't supposed to win sprints. It ain't natural I tell ya.

RLB
08-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Olympic Badminton?

Aw, I missed the judo.

Here ya go; you can browse by sport... http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html

... some 41-year-old woman win a swimming SPRINT race. A sprint race! 41 year olds aren't supposed to win sprints. It ain't natural I tell ya.

I gotta watch me some of that (and the men's volleyball... yum).

Shadow_Ferret
08-16-2008, 08:41 AM
And I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this, but can I just say how proud I am of our two women's gymanstisists (mods, please feel free to correct that spelling. I would, but I'm not a mod) who won Gold and Silver night before last.

Feiss
08-16-2008, 02:25 PM
And I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on this, but can I just say how proud I am of our two women's gymanstisists (mods, please feel free to correct that spelling. I would, but I'm not a mod) who won Gold and Silver night before last.

I was terribly proud too, even though I've been rooting for the Chinese. The ridiculous scoring yesterday made me shift on the side of the Americans. I feel like bribing the judges is something the PRC would do, and the thought of that made me ashamed that the government would stoop to those levels. It might not be true, the judges could have been totally blind to those amazing landings by Nastia, but there was something fishy going on until the balance exercise.

Anways, Go Shawn and Nastia!

Priene
08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Usain Bolt.

No need to add anything to that.

Carmy
08-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Mainly, I watch the gymnasts, although I catch a few other events while waiting. Congratulations to the two US women who came Gold and Silver. Well done.

Did anyone catch the information that the apparatuses was up on stands? Not normal in other countries. The floor for the gymnastic floor display was also non standard. Except for the Chinese, those from other countries had to contend with the changes China made. Seemed desgined to put them off their perforamcnes, so the US girls deserve extra praise.

The opening ceremony was a shambles, but it did demonstrate how dense the population is in China. As for the girl singer lip synching because the girl whose voice was used was too ugly -- that's just wrong! Tells you a lot about the Chinese.

IMO, if China hoped to impress the world, they failed.

Oberon
08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I have been watching NBC, and let me tell you, I am sick and tired of beach volleyball. OK, the women are lookers and near-naked, but still . . . There are dozens of sports in the olympics. so far NBC has shown us beach volleyball, swimming, beach volleyball, more swimming, beach volleyball, oh, yes, gymnastics, that I liked, in spite of the Chinese kindergarten contestants. Did I mention beach volleyball? And swimming. Oh, sorry, I forgot, a bicycle race. Sorry, rowing, that was interesting. I think they're thinking about going to track and field, but tonight there's more swimming. And beach volleyball.

maestrowork
08-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I think that's what's so great about the Olympics -- true human spirit. Losing is not everything; in fact, it can inspire. Phelps lost his races earlier in his career and he told himself he could swim faster. And he did. The US women gymnasts let their nerves get to them and they lost to the Chinese, but then Nastia and Shawn bit the bullet and came back to win gold and silver. What a great story.

And Phelps. Wow, won by 1/100th second. That's what I call an Olympic moment. Too bad he didn't break any word record (Mark Spitz broke the world record in every one of his wins).

And what about Usain Bolt. 9.69 seconds? WOW, that's just mind-boggling. When I was in school my best time was 11.3 second and I was so proud. 9.69? Holy crap.

maestrowork
08-17-2008, 06:50 AM
The opening ceremony was a shambles, but it did demonstrate how dense the population is in China. As for the girl singer lip synching because the girl whose voice was used was too ugly -- that's just wrong! Tells you a lot about the Chinese.

I hope people will just get over this. It's not the Americans don't do anything like this for a show. Yes, the Chinese like to have their "face" but it's really not very different than anything else. I mean, have you seen professional wrestling lately? Talk about faking it for show/"sports." So what does pro wrestling say about Americans?

maestrowork
08-17-2008, 06:52 AM
I was terribly proud too, even though I've been rooting for the Chinese. The ridiculous scoring yesterday made me shift on the side of the Americans. I feel like bribing the judges is something the PRC would do, and the thought of that made me ashamed that the government would stoop to those levels. It might not be true, the judges could have been totally blind to those amazing landings by Nastia, but there was something fishy going on until the balance exercise.

Anways, Go Shawn and Nastia!

Well, to me, if the judges were bribed (which I really don't think so) then clearly Nastia and Shawn wouldn't have won the individual all-around... so I think much of it is how much we want to make the Chinese the bad guys... I still think the Chinese women deserved to win the team gold.

Shadow_Ferret
08-17-2008, 08:06 AM
And what about Usain Bolt. 9.69 seconds? WOW, that's just mind-boggling. When I was in school my best time was 11.3 second and I was so proud. 9.69? Holy crap.
And if he hadn't been showboating for the last 15 meters he probably would have had an even faster time.

Beach Bunny
08-17-2008, 08:27 AM
I have been watching NBC, and let me tell you, I am sick and tired of beach volleyball. OK, the women are lookers and near-naked, but still . . . There are dozens of sports in the olympics. so far NBC has shown us beach volleyball, swimming, beach volleyball, more swimming, beach volleyball, oh, yes, gymnastics, that I liked, in spite of the Chinese kindergarten contestants. Did I mention beach volleyball? And swimming. Oh, sorry, I forgot, a bicycle race. Sorry, rowing, that was interesting. I think they're thinking about going to track and field, but tonight there's more swimming. And beach volleyball.

What about Beach volleyball? Did you get to see that? It was sooooo exciting to watch May-Trainer and Walsh who haven't lost their past one hundred plus matches walk all over their competition. I tell you, I was right on the edge of my seat watching them. :tongue

Then tonight they aired the ENTIRE Women's Marathon WITHOUT a break. I am sooooo soooo happy that NBC didn't break away from that scintillating two and half hour contest and show any of the other competitions. [/sarcasm] :D

Shadow_Ferret
08-17-2008, 08:30 AM
Until all this coverage, beach volleyball hadn't even been on my radar, but now I've become a fan.

Glad I was out because all I saw of the marathon was the last 5 minutes, which was interesting. Although, as a former runner I have been guilty of watching marathons on TV when they're broadcast.

mario_c
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Thank goodness for the affiliates. NBC Sports channel is showing all the trials along with a couple also ran events like softball. I just watched the Triathlon trials - awesome! And in the wee small hours CNBC and MSNBC are picking up the slack on the other events. They should lock up Jim Cramer and just go full throttle with the coverage. (Anytime is a good time to lock up Jim Cramer. But I digress.)
Telemundo shows highlights from a Latin perspective, i.e. events where South American teams are doing well :) nothing wrong with that. Makes me wish I had satellite, but I'm worn out bouncing back and forth. Good thing I got a few days off for the hot season.

Feiss
08-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Well, to me, if the judges were bribed (which I really don't think so) then clearly Nastia and Shawn wouldn't have won the individual all-around... so I think much of it is how much we want to make the Chinese the bad guys... I still think the Chinese women deserved to win the team gold.

I'd agree with you, but I think it's weird that the scores where all whacked until that lady in red went up to the judges and said something to them. If they were bribed, and they had kept scoring the Americans so low, then it would've become obvious after Nastia's balance beam routine. I dunno, maybe I'm just suspicious

Feiss
08-17-2008, 10:28 AM
Mainly, I watch the gymnasts, although I catch a few other events while waiting. Congratulations to the two US women who came Gold and Silver. Well done.

Did anyone catch the information that the apparatuses was up on stands? Not normal in other countries. The floor for the gymnastic floor display was also non standard. Except for the Chinese, those from other countries had to contend with the changes China made. Seemed desgined to put them off their perforamcnes, so the US girls deserve extra praise.

IMO, if China hoped to impress the world, they failed.

I was impressed. Also, don't mean to be argumentative, but the equipment used at each Olympics can vary, the FIG does not dictate a standard set of equipment. The Games in Athens also used Janssen-Fritsen equipment, which is the kind used in this year's games. The equipment change was a disadvantage to the Americans because they train on AAI equipment, many other countries DON'T, therefore it was not an advantage only to the Chinese. The Americans have always known that equipment might be different, which is why they often train for a week, on different equipment than they are used to. If they still aren't used to it by the time the Games start, then they should have trained on the different equipment for a longer period of time.

Joe270
08-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Then tonight they aired the ENTIRE Women's Marathon WITHOUT a break. I am sooooo soooo happy that NBC didn't break away from that scintillating two and half hour contest and show any of the other competitions. [/sarcasm]

Yeah, smack in prime time, too. NBC coverage sucks. I started a thread on the piss poor coverage in P&CE if you wanna gripe with the rest of us.

Joe270
08-17-2008, 11:50 AM

I don't see any really bad judging compared to Olympics past. It's better, no doubt. There are still some really bad calls, like the Brazilian judge who gave the American Sinc divers a 6.5 when everyone else was two points higher.

I think a review of their judging, using replays, should be used to remove the biased judges from ever participating again. Ban them completely from any competitions anywhere, even as a audience member. That'll end the bullshit in a few years.

No doubt there was goofy judging in the Men's gymnastics all-round, because the bronze winner fell off the pommel horse twice when a half dozen competitors who didn't fall of of any apparatus didn't medal. Something went bad wrong there.

In all, I think the Chinese have hosted a very well-done Olympic games. They have been safe, they have been fair as far as possible, the venues have been great, and the people of China have been very gracious.

That said, I don't get why the equestrian events were held almost 13,000 miles from Beijing. Sorta sucks for those contestants that they are a four hour plane flight away from the action.

SLThomas
08-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I'm enjoying watching these games so far. Although I can't say that I was surprised that the Chinese faked parts of the Opening Ceremony...

I'm glad that after a week's drought Canada started to get some medals. Yes, I know that 80% of the Olympic budget is for winter's sports (because of Vancouver 2010) but still it was embarassing to have less medals than Zimbabwe.

Oh, and the Russian national anthem is one of the most beautiful ones...IMO of course!

maestrowork
08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
I don't see any really bad judging compared to Olympics past. It's better, no doubt. There are still some really bad calls, like the Brazilian judge who gave the American Sinc divers a 6.5 when everyone else was two points higher.

I've never been completely pleased with judged sports -- too much room for human errors and biases. When the results could be affected by 1/10 of a point, it is ghastly that one judge could give such as ridiculously low score compared to the rest. There were so many controversies in the past, too. Then again, I don't know how else they're going to do those sports without judges. It's not like they have timers in the pool. I guess you just have to trust that the committees did their job in the judges selection.

Joe270
08-17-2008, 11:07 PM
I've never been completely pleased with judged sports -- too much room for human errors and biases. When the results could be affected by 1/10 of a point, it is ghastly that one judge could give such as ridiculously low score compared to the rest. There were so many controversies in the past, too.

As I mentioned, the IOC must have made some changes, because these games have had pretty fair judging, the best I've ever noticed. There is still room for improvement. The way gymnastics and diving are scored is the DD, minus any deductions. I'm saying the judges should have to note the exact deductions. For my example of the Brazilian judge, there's no way he could justify that many deductions.

I'm happy that it has gotten so much better, I just want the trend to continue.

Oberon
08-18-2008, 12:30 AM
The most flagrant bit of bad judging, from what I have seen, at least, was in the games in Korea, when the Korean boxing judge gave the bout to the Korean boxer, who was so obviously beaten up by the American. I'm not a boxing fan, but I did see that bout, and was amazed. I don't think anything was ever done to correct the decision.

Feiss
08-18-2008, 10:05 AM

I think a review of their judging, using replays, should be used to remove the biased judges from ever participating again. Ban them completely from any competitions anywhere, even as a audience member. That'll end the bullshit in a few years.

No doubt there was goofy judging in the Men's gymnastics all-round, because the bronze winner fell off the pommel horse twice when a half dozen competitors who didn't fall of of any apparatus didn't medal. Something went bad wrong there.

In all, I think the Chinese have hosted a very well-done Olympic games. They have been safe, they have been fair as far as possible, the venues have been great, and the people of China have been very gracious.

That said, I don't get why the equestrian events were held almost 13,000 miles from Beijing. Sorta sucks for those contestants that they are a four hour plane flight away from the action.

I think they were hosted in HK because the city has an old tradition of horse racing, so would already have good venues set up.

SPMiller
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Although I haven't actually watched any of the games, I'm amazed by China's performance this time around. What the hell did they do, divert a big chunk of government money to training athletes? Is home-field advantage this important?

Joe270
08-18-2008, 11:11 AM
The Chinese have been up and comers for the last four Olympics. They now dominate gymnastics and diving, as well as many other sports like badmitten. They've had a long history of winning other sports as well. They have finally gotten breakthroughs in track and field, too.

Some of it is that you need true world class athletes to compete with, so you are pushed to that level (which is why the Williams sisters are so good, they play each other all the time, a big edge). China has more an more world-class athletes to compete against one another, and to inspire others to reach that ultimate level of competition.

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 04:59 PM
The more I watch, the more perplexed I become.

Trampoline? What?

Hathor
08-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Hi all,

I believe the reason for all the yelling at the fencing is to try and "trick" the judges into making them think they'd scored a point. (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm sure you will!)

According to my daughter there might be some of this in normal competitions, but she doesn't know if it really works. The only time this might have an effect is if there are two lights and a question of who had the right of way. But directors seem perfectly capable of calling it simultaneous. The Olympics is different in having a mechanism to challenge calls, as well as instant replay and assistant directors. I didn't see any points that seemed to be awarded based on yelling. They also probably picked very well qualified directors.

She says she leaves her yelling to when she thinks she did win.

What irks my daughter more is that in the simultaneous hit situation, some (not so good) directors are more prone to give the point to the higher ranked fencer. Maybe they don't want to admit that they couldn't tell who had the right of way.

If there is only one light, there is no question who gets the point. If there is no light, there is no point.

Don't ask me to explain right of way (which applies to sabre and foil, but not epee). My daughter has fenced for 8 years and I still have problems with all the minutiae of the scoring system.

I also agree that simultaneous diving is strange. What's next, simultaneous pole vault? Actually, that might be interesting ... :)

Shadow_Ferret
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
So, on uneven bars our girl TIES with the Chinese and because it's a TIE they... what? Go with home field advantage and give it to the Chinese?

Somethings rotten in Denmark.

Kitrianna
08-18-2008, 09:44 PM
The judging, especially for gymnastics, has been really screwy this year. Cheng Fei getting a 15.whatever when she didn't even land her vault? Hello??? If that had been anyone else they would have recieved a 12...if they were lucky!

mscelina
08-18-2008, 09:46 PM
The judging in *particularly* boxing and gymnastics has been terribly suspicious IMO. Although these are more subjective sports to adjudicate, I have NEVER seen an Olympic boxing match where the final score was 3 to 2. THREE TO TWO? In three rounds? Bullpookey.

And then last night on the vault, our girl gets fourth because of a couple of steps on her landings and gets beaten by a Chinese girl who FELL? Ummm....yeah.....that's the way it works in real life. Very discouraging. I think the problem lies more with the judging standards currently used and the judges qualified to do these international events more than this specific Olympics though.

Kitrianna
08-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Personally, I would be this offended regardless of the nation that was slighted because of the misjudging last night. No one deserves that. And it was a slap in the face to the Cheng Fei as well. She gets to take home a medal she doesn't necessarily deserve. The judging is just tainting the entire experience for everyone-athletes and audience alike. I just keep seeing shades of Salt Lake City...

maestrowork
08-18-2008, 09:54 PM
As I mentioned, the IOC must have made some changes, because these games have had pretty fair judging, the best I've ever noticed. There is still room for improvement. The way gymnastics and diving are scored is the DD, minus any deductions. I'm saying the judges should have to note the exact deductions. For my example of the Brazilian judge, there's no way he could justify that many deductions.

I'm happy that it has gotten so much better, I just want the trend to continue.

But that also means we'll never see perfect 10s anymore. :( The days of Mary Lou Retton or Nadia Comaneci or Greg Louganis are over.

maxmordon
08-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Venezuela got bronze medal!

http://www.taekwondo.org.ve/website/images/stories/post-5-1093798824.jpg

maestrowork
08-21-2008, 12:55 AM
Venezuela got bronze medal!

http://www.taekwondo.org.ve/website/images/stories/post-5-1093798824.jpg

No one cares about that Asian country.

;)

maxmordon
08-21-2008, 01:06 AM
No one cares about that Asian country.

;)

That reminds me this line from MST3K

"Venezuela: The jewel of the Adriatic sea..."

Pagey's_Girl
08-21-2008, 05:43 AM
Rumor has it that "my" guy (as in Jimmy Page) will be playing at the closing ceremonies!

(Yeah, just had to get that in....)

AmyDoodle
08-21-2008, 06:03 AM
And what's with these Chinese girls that are supposed to be sixteen but look like they could audition for the Mickey Mouse Club?

Priene
08-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh God, Boris Johnson's about to appear at the closing ceremony. I can't watch. The man's a gold medal-calibre idiot.

Priene
08-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Our boy did it. He got in and out without dropping his trousers, hitting anyone with the Olympic flag or insulting a foreigner. Result. Go London.

Priene
08-24-2008, 05:14 PM
Buses that transform into skylines and don't stink of urine. Leona Lewis jamming with Jimmy Page. My sense of national irony is being overwhelmed.

Priene
08-24-2008, 05:17 PM
And now it's David Beckham. Is he still alive?

Albedo
08-24-2008, 05:48 PM

More like 1,300 miles. But remember the 1956 Melbourne games: because Australia's quarantine laws of the time were so strict, the Equestrian events were held in...

Stockholm.

Albedo
08-24-2008, 05:52 PM
Our boy did it. He got in and out without dropping his trousers, hitting anyone with the Olympic flag or insulting a foreigner. Result. Go London.

He did, however, manage to tangle the flag up for several painful seconds.

Congratulations, you've learnt the first lesson of being a modern Olympic city: opening ceremony first drafts (much like writing first drafts) are always soul-searingly, cheek-clenchingly cringeworthy.

rhymegirl
08-24-2008, 06:45 PM
It's almost over, right?

maestrowork
08-24-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm sad it's almost over. It's been a really exciting Olympics. But I'm looking forward to seeing the closing ceremony. Must be emotional for all the Olympians and Chinese people.

Priene
08-24-2008, 06:58 PM
He did, however, manage to tangle the flag up for several painful seconds.

Congratulations, you've learnt the first lesson of being a modern Olympic city: opening ceremony first drafts (much like writing first drafts) are always soul-searingly, cheek-clenchingly cringeworthy.

You had the bouncy-kangaroo-people, right? That was like a drugs flashback.

qwerty
08-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Courtesy of BBC television, I’ve just sat in France and watched a post Beijing/pre London Olympic celebration. Top artists, such as Katherine Jenkins and Il Divo, performed in front of Buckingham Palace to a crowd of 40,000. And – wait for it – Michael Phelps was whisked from Heathrow Airport to do a live interview just before the Red Arrows flew over. The whole event was pure theatre, and I didn't see anyone cringe. This looked like a taste of what's to come in four year's time. If it was a first draft, I can't wait for the final edit.

WOW! London is gonna do this. Big time.

Shadow_Ferret
08-25-2008, 06:19 PM
In retrospect, that was the worst coverage of an Olympics I've ever seen! From what I saw, the Olympics is only gymnastics, swimming, and beach vollyball, running, with a small amount of equestrian (does anyone besides soccer mom watch that?), and the first day, women's weightlifting.

I did not see any other track and field, missed the hammer throw, javelin, broad jump, high jump, and javelin. I didn't see wrestling. I didn't see men's weightlifting. Archery or shooting. Didn't they even have any of those events?

And the closing ceremonies were almost as neat as the opening, until they got to London and it all came screeching to a halt. Who was that woman doing the Tarzan yell before Jimmy Page started playing guitar?

Jayswords
08-25-2008, 06:22 PM
It was what's her name; Leona Lewis.

But yes, having sat through the American Olympic coverage for the first time, I must say: it was dreadful.

qwerty
08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Leona Lewis won The X Factor in Britain. She has made it, seriously big, since then, but the sound system at the closing ceremony didn't give her a chance to show why. But discounting that, the Brit item was less than inspiring. I didn't actually understand it.

To be fair, though, I have to say the BBC coverage of the Olympics was superb. We got to see a diverse range of events.

Silver King
08-27-2008, 06:00 AM
A little late, but if we're going to talk about The Olympic Games well after the fact, then this discussion might fare better in the Sports thread.

The Mad Mover (or so I've been told) :Thumbs:

mario_c
08-27-2008, 07:43 AM
I agree, the NBC/affiliates coverage stunk. The buzz is ESPN wants to take over the Olympics coverage by 2010-2014 onward.
What do you think? 1 1/2 channels or 5?:hooray:

Bayou Bill
08-27-2008, 06:36 PM
A little late, but if we're going to talk about The Olympic Games well after the fact, then this discussion might fare better in the Sports thread.

The Mad Mover (or so I've been told) :Thumbs:
The Mad Mover has killed off another sports discussion thread by moving it to this little-used backwater titled: SPORTSWRITING AND FITNESS WRITING.

What next? In addition to the Old Farts thread facing the possibility of being moved to HISTORICAL WRITING, Ferret's LOLcatz thread could wind up on the WRITING ABOUT ANIMALS/NATURE forum.

Either change the title of this WRITING forum or stop filling it with sports DISCUSSION threads.

Shadow_Ferret
08-27-2008, 06:43 PM
He's trying to justify his own existence. :tongue