The Olympics thread

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Awesome opening or what? I am so excited, since the Venezuelan team has great oportunities this year (with Diliana Mendez and Andreina Pinto)

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
Awesome opening or what? I am so excited, since the Venezuelan team has great oportunities this year (with Diliana Mendez and Andreina Pinto)

I have to admit, I'm an Olympics junkie - both the summer and winter games.

What events do Diliana and Andreina compete in? I'll be cheering for them!

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Are you kidding? I was actually relatively excited about the opening this year (because they've been CRAZY secretive about it here in Beijing), but China dropped the ball BIG TIME. I think some of the performances they chose were very poorly suited to the atmosphere and sheer size of the Bird's Nest, and they completely looked over performances brilliantly suited to the events -- like Wushu.

Big waste of money and a poor representation of Chinese culture.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Diliana is on shooting and Andriena is in Swimming... a lot of people don't think we have a chance since our first conpetitions will be against US and China...

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
LMAO! You guys are posting spoilers to the opening ceremonies which no one in the US has seen yet (to my knowledge--I certainly haven't and won't until 7:30 pm EST) and that is meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean.

But that's okay. I'm always excited when the Olympics roll around! Shame that Russia chose today to bomb Georgia, when the original purpose of the reinstitution of the Olympics was a two-week international truce. Sad.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Heheh. Yeah, and the teams are introduced in what might be considered Chinese "stroke-count" order, which means from the lowest number of strokes in the beginning character of the country's (Chinese) name, to the highest.

If that makes sense.

In any case -- confusing for the rest of the world. At first I thought they were introducing countries in order from least to most favorite :D Hah.

Too bad those bastids didn't put me on the Olympic committee. I coulda' spiced that shit up a tad.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm watching the teams parade in now. It's extra confusing for me because the Chinese is translated into Spanish. *sigh*

Here they had the Chinese ambassador translating... not a good idea, since his Spanish seems a bit limited...

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Heheh. Yeah, and the teams are introduced in what might be considered Chinese "stroke-count" order, which means from the lowest number of strokes in the beginning character of the country's (Chinese) name, to the highest.

If that makes sense.

In any case -- confusing for the rest of the world. At first I thought they were introducing countries in order from least to most favorite :D Hah.

Too bad those bastids didn't put me on the Olympic committee. I coulda' spiced that shit up a tad.

Ahhhhhhh. I could NOT figure out the order. I figured it was alphabetical in Chinese, but stroke order is quite interesting!

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I will be interested to see how well the tests go with the air pollution as bad as they say it is. How in the world can outside folks breathe? I think the runners and swimmers will have a tuff time.
They have already told everyone not to drink the water because it is bad. It should make for an interesting time. IMHO

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I will be interested to see how well the tests go with the air pollution as bad as they say it is. How in the world can outside folks breathe? I think the runners and swimmers will have a tuff time.
I'm thinking it won't be much different than holding the Olympics at a high elevation where the air is thinner.

Of course there (at higher elevations) they don't risk emphesema and bronchitis.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
A lot of people were quite confused with the whole Peking/Beijing matter... my aunt thought they were two diferent cities since the local media calls it Peking (in Spanish Pekín) while CNN español and ads writes it as Beijing