Submission season

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard it mentioned that summer is not the best time to query agents or publishers. Is this in any way a hard and fast rule?

I'm ready to query my novel now. I sent a few queries out to agents earlier in the summer and want to send another set of packages out before I go on vacation next week. Is this advisable? Does "summer" querying really make a difference to one's chances, beyond possibly lenthening the time it takes for a response?

kristi26

Registered
Reaction score
I would think that Christmas break is a far worse time to query agents as the large majority are on vacation themselves. In my opinion, if the agents you're querying don't specifically say "we're closed to submissions in the summer" then go ahead and query them. Good luck finding an agent!

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I don't think it affects your chances. Just, as you say, may lengthen the response time. July and August are huge vacation months for everyone, including editors and agents (my own agent is going on vacation for two weeks at the end of the month).

The only reason I'd caveat against submitting anything until September is that your submission will be part of a rather large piling of work waiting for the agent when they return.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on who you talk to, there is NEVER a good time to query an agent or an editor. Can't do it in December 'cause of the holidays. Can't do it in the summer 'cause of vacations. Can't do it in the spring or fall 'cause of expos and conferences.

I've long come to the conclusion that it's all BS--send it out when it's ready. Not every agent/editor does everything and I'll never know what their schedule is anyway, so there's no point in waiting. If they're gone, the submission will be there waiting for them. If they're there, then it gets looked at a little faster. Either which way works--it's out the door, which is my goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.