Being nosey about fellow AW playwrights

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
It's been very quiet in here, deathly, and I want to know what my fellow playwrights have been up. I demand a catch up.

After being a total slug I've started working again on a new play. The first draft, as always, is proving a killer. I'm hoping to finish it on my upcoming month long theatre attachment. I am ashamed to have left it festering for so long.

What are you all working on?

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
I've spent the last year plus trying to get over an emotional block that keeps me from finishing a project.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those writers who feel that every word the write is absolutely perfect and when a reader offers a criticism or suggestion to improve the play, my feelings get hurt and I give up on it. When I force myself to make changes, I don't like the result and throw the play away because it seems to me that it no longer says what I wanted to say.

On a conscious level I know that I am wrong - all plays need revision - but on another level, I can't do it.

About 14 months ago I finished my first full length play (after working up to it slowly) which got mediocre reviews at two readings. It needed work. I know that. But I couldn't bring myself to do it. When I tried, nothing came out or what I wrote is way off what was needed.

Until about five weeks ago I hadn't written anything since I wrote the full length play. Then I woke up one morning with a very short one person play in my mind and transcribed it. I showed it to a couple of friends who made some very reasonable suggestions on the play (at least on the conscious level). As usual, I made the changes and felt that I had ruined the play.

I had the play with me when I went to our local playwrights group. I didn't intend to share it because I thought that I had ruined it. There were about a dozen people there - mostly writers but a few actors . At the last minute, I gave it to an actress who was there to read. When she had finished there was dead silence. No one said anything. It dragged on and on. Finally, unable to stand the silence, I asked "Isn't anyone going to say anything?" Then the log jam broke and everyone had good things to say about it. The consensus was that it was one of the best things I've ever written.

I realized that even though I wasn't happy with the rewrites, they improved the play. I think I finally understand why I need to rewrite my plays to address the concerns of the readers. I dragged out the year old full length play and started making the changes that people said were needed. I made some progress then I got away from the rewrite. I hope that I will get back and finish it.

There - that's what I've been doing.

Doug

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm working on an idea for a farce set ca. 1910-1915. All I've put on "paper" (hard disk) so far is half an outline and half scene of dialogue. The rest is still percolating in my head.

I feel like I need to do more research about the period and read more farces for types of comic bits to adapt to my twist on the premise, as well as figuring out the characters' motivations better.

It seems like the sort of project where it would make more sense to set out the plot from the beginning and then develop the personalities to fit the plot, whereas I've usually worked more the other way around in the past. On the other hand I'm not really sure yet how I want to untie the plot knots at the end -- an unplanned pregnancy would be just too convenient for getting things to end up the way I'd like; I'd rather not rely on that as a kind of deus ex machina resolution.

Also do I want to write it to be rated R or PG in movie terms?

Ian.Fraser

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ianfraserlive.com
Written three full lengths and a couple of ten minute pieces this year, had a run of two plays in Feb, also a staged reading in NY, just had a run of a short play down in Florida, got word on another for a full run next year - waiting on contract, hit pause on two other plays I'm writing and am busy writing a book version of one of my film scripts, to go to a UK publisher that my agent figures will be interested in it.
apart from that, not much :)

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good to hear what people are up to. I am hoping that my attachment at The National which starts on Monday kick starts my work ethic. I am also looking forward to seeing lots of great plays while in London.

Doug, sorry to hear that you are suffering from the inevitable feedback stress. It can be overwhelming because unlike TV/Film/Radio when you are mainly dealing with feedback eventually filtered through one of two people, but with a play depending on where you are in the process there are the actors, director, sometimes a dramaturg etc and a play is always in the process of being formed, it's never fixed in place, so many variables. The trick is being able to filter it all, knowing what to hold onto and what to ignore. Your new play sounds interesting, best of luck with that.

Lexxi, interesting to work from the plot out. I should maybe try that as structure is my weak area. So many twists and turns in a farce. Keep us all posted.

Ian, I don't know how you find time to catch your breath. I've never known anyone write three plays in a year, let alone everything else you do.

What about the rest of you? What's your hot project?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I finished my play and started trying to shop it around. It seems so much harder than the novel thing because for novels there is a more formal process: query agent, get agent, agent queries publisher, publisher gives me a million dollars. I have not found any such process for plays. So, I'm not sure if I should be going for publication (if so, how and where), or production (again, no centralized place to identify those theaters wanting submissions).
I guess I'm saying that now I'm finished with it, I don't know what to do with it.
And, frankly, having been more of a novel writer I am still unsure whether it's good enough that I should try to do something with it!

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm not sure if I should be going for publication (if so, how and where), or production (again, no centralized place to identify those theaters wanting submissions).
I guess I'm saying that now I'm finished with it, I don't know what to do with it.

Definitely pursue productions. That's the point. Publication can come afterward.

I'm sorry, I don't have a centralized source to identify theaters wanting submissions, although I have a feeling that at least one does exist.

Where are you located?

For major U.S. regional theatres, see www.lort.org.

Looks like most of these theatres want either scripts submitted through an agent or else a query letter and sample pages and/or synopsis. Check the specifics for the ones you're interested in.

Look for playwriting contests and enter your script in the ones it's appropriate for.

Find smaller semi-professional theatre companies near you, find out whether they have specific policies for script submission, and comply appropriately.

Check with theatre departments at nearby colleges/universities, or for an actor's or writer's center in a major city, for opportunities to get rehearsed staged readings of your work, if not full productions.

Chances are you won't make any money from the first production. But having had one, especially one that gets newspaper reviews, will make it that much easier to get other companies to consider your script.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Good advice from Lexxi.

Mark, congratulations about finishing the play. Don't worry about publication which should ideally be a record of a first professional production.

I am not sure about how it works over there but here I look up theatres websites which always have information on who to send the script to, who is the literary manager etc and then I just stick a copy in the post. Most theatres have free script reading services, even the really big ones and I have yet to see a UK theatres ask for work to be submitted via an agent so that's quite a startling difference. You need to target theatres who specialize in new work rather than buying in established plays so spending a couple of days ploughing through websites and looking at what theatres do and what they produce is time well spent. Like publishing novels, a little research can go a long way.

I would always start with regional theatres who are usually keen to develop new work. Keep an eye out for theatres that offer rehearsed readings of new work which can be a great way to make contacts and reach an audience, these readings are often a part of festivals of new writing etc etc. Competitions are also good. Also see if any of your local theatres have writing groups, join one of those and you will soon find out more about opportunities for playwrights.

Best of luck. You've done the hard work, now is the time to start sending your baby out on it's own - scary!

Last edited:

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I've been working on adapting a well-known novel into a full-length play. I got into quite a good routine with it, but now I've put it on hold because I need to concentrate on a 10-minute play competition I want to enter.

It's quite a prestigious competition, run every year and the winning plays are then workshopped and performed over several days and nights as part of a festival. I entered two years ago and got shortlisted, but didn't make it any further. Hopefully this year, I'll do a little better!

The competition closes in October, so I've really got to get stuck into it now.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Mandy, I see that you are busy as usual and putting lazy gits like me to shame. Hope the playwrighting competition entry is going well, getting shortlisted last time shows they recognise talent! I'm also curious about your adaptation, can you spill the beans on which novel your working from?

I am now in my office at the National Studios and making good progress on my play, though obviously I can still sneak a peek at AW for a break. One of the great things about being here is the chance to see the National's shows. On Thursday I have two complimentary tickets for Afterlife a new play by Michale Frayn which I am looking forward to seeing.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/?lid=35468

I am hoping that the chance to see lots of great plays and quality productions will inspire and motivate me to do better with my own writing.

At home I have my own space, an office for my writing, but actually leaving home and going to an office to write seems to be much more productive. I wish I could afford to rent an office space permanently.

I like to hear updates from all the AW playwrights, maybe we need an update thread where we could check in once a month or so?

Alyss

Registered
Reaction score
Currently doing...three plays, the end of a large D&D project, and possibly more plays...I've got ideas for a couple more...

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I think an update thread is a great idea. We could have monthly, weekly or whenever the mood strikes you check-ins. It will be great to see what everyone is up to, and a great motivator for us all.

And Carina, my adaption.....well, without saying too much, it's a novel that was written quite a few years ago by a very famous female author whose initials are JA. That's all I'm sayin'!

comradebunny

"It *is* the rabbitt!"
Registered
Reaction score
I am a newbie to AW, but I plan on becoming a regular.

It sounds like everyone has projects in the works and are being much more productive than I am. I'm jealous.

My current project is a play about Sitting Bull to be performed on the reservation where he was murdered. It is a very complex project due to getting translations done (with a specific keyboard and Dakota/Lakota has symbols not found in a regular word processing program.), chosing songs and lining up interviews with family members. Not to mention the fact that I am a full time teacher and school just began.

Lastly, I just want to apologize if I stepped on any toes by posting here. I'm new and have yet to establish connections to others here. If I upset anyone, be accept my apologies.

Mandy-Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely no need to apologise, combradebunny. You are perfectly entitled to post here or anywhere else. Sounds like a fascinating project you're working on. Good luck!