PDA

View Full Version : No longer desperate but good thoughts always welcome

Jean Marie
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
Normally, I'm a private person when it comes to these kinds of things, but I cannot think of any other way. I seriously need your help.

My mom went into hospice this am and doesn't have too much time left. She may pass away tonight. I don't know. My chances of seeing her again, are quite slim. I'm ok w/ that, I've spoken w/ her several times. And, we had a good time together in June on Kauai.

My situation is this: She's in CA and I'm in CT. I'll be taking her pup home w/ me and it's against regs to fly pups during summer months due to the heat. So, I have to drive out w/ Kola, starting tomorrow. Sounds like fun, right? Normally, yes, only I almost died last week from an allergic reaction to an antibiotic/severe dehydration and a stupid er doc who didn't admit me against my doc's orders. He more or less released me in the same condition I arrived in. Believe me, that will be remedied upon my return. He's being brought up on charges before the board of directors of said hospital, w/ my doc's backing, and then some.

AAA mapped out the southern route for me, Ohio, Virginia, Tenn., Oklahoma City, Alberque, Gallup, Barstow, SD. I need help w/ driving and places to stay along the way. I've got money for gas, not a problem. Kola's got food :D Oh, yeah, I'm covered for food, too. It's just 'cause I'm still weak from Dr. Cockypants messing me up, that I need help w/ driving.

Far as getting back, I think I've got it worked it. A friend of mine can help part way. And that's 3 weeks off, too. I should be way better by then.

I hope you can help out.

Thanks so much.

P.S. I did have some fairly cool hallucinations, btw ;)

Now going back to sleep...

JoNightshade
08-07-2008, 09:44 AM
Jean, what part of California do you need to get to?

JoNightshade
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Oh - SD - San Diego?

JLCwrites
08-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Jean, Unfortunately I am nowhere near your route, but if you need anything else, let me know. Hugs for you, prayers for your mom, and I hope all of this works out.

Joe270
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
AAA mapped out the southern route for me, Ohio, Virginia, Tenn., Oklahoma City, Alberque, Gallup, Barstow, SD.

Seems like a strange route. Why not shoot straight across through Pittsburg, Indy, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, VEGAS BABY, then San Diego?

Susie
08-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Much good luck, Jean Marie. Sure sorry about your situation. Prayers & (((((((HUGS))))))) given.

Shweta
08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
I wish I could help, JM, but I'm on this end and all I can offer is tea and hugs over here :(

(((((((Jean Marie))))))))

Stlight
08-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Jean, have you asked for help physical help driving at your church or a near by college? Can you give yourself time to ask?

prayers

I think the ASPCA in New York, actually will tell you where you can stay with animals. If not the AAA should have told you on request which hotels/motels take animals.

Stlight

Jean Marie
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
Seems like a strange route. Why not shoot straight across through Pittsburg, Indy, St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, VEGAS BABY, then San Diego?
Ah, for stinger's sake, you gonna make me look at the stinkin' map! Finkster :D I'll take another look other than what they said.

Jean, have you asked for help physical help driving at your church or a near by college? Can you give yourself time to ask?

prayers

I think the ASPCA in New York, actually will tell you where you can stay with animals. If not the AAA should have told you on request which hotels/motels take animals.

Stlight
Thanks for the prayers.

I forgot to ask which places are friendly. Kinda dumb, huh? Doing that in a few hours. I do have a few places to stay along the way, kindness of a couple of AW'er's :)

I'm out of time, this is going way more quickly than I'd like. Who knew I'd get as sick as I'd did, too.

My vehicle is road ready, too. Made sure of it a few weeks back.

Shweta, I'm counting on the tea, dear and a walk or two to go w/ it. I'm looking forward to your company :Hug2:

Going back to sleep,for a bit...

Stlight
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Jean I went to bed and then thought of this, the Train. It would probably cost the same as driving what with gas and hotels. You might have to buy a crate for Kola and pup, but they could ride in the baggage car, you could visit them and it would be much easier on you and safer for all of you. Trains do connect up and would get you there faster. I know one goes as far as Gallop NM of all places and maybe further. Even if you only got that far you could rent a car and still come out ahead money wise.

Stlight

Jean Marie
08-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Interesting thought, the train. Kinda like it. Thanks.

I'm also thinking, now, of flying 1 way, then driving back w/ my mom's car. My brain's muddled w/ all kinds of things. sadness, etc. One way or the other, I'm out of here, today.

Fenika
08-07-2008, 03:09 PM
Wait- so you are leaving today or in 3 weeks (or leaving today and returning in 3 weeks??) See below-

Sorry to hear about your mom.
I'll be taking her pup home w/ me and it's against regs to fly pups during summer months due to the heat.
Unless it has changed, some airlines allow it b/c they provide air conditioned transport to the plane. Check with Delta, Continental... I flew my birds via Delta and was reasonably pleased. (just wish someone had figured out how to freshen their FILTHY water- but they did have water)
So, I have to drive out w/ Kola, Why can't Kola stay with a friend (I'm sure you may have personal objections, but reconsider. Otherwise dogs can make great guardians on a road trip) starting tomorrow. (ah, tomorrow it is)Sounds like fun, right?

Aside from pet friendly hotels, there are horse hotels/motels that might take you and a dog or two. They are (sometimes) inexpensive for a small or cozy space (One place had a 3 bedroom cottage above the barn for a pittance). Google those terms for the two most popular sites... Dunno what you'd get with 'dog motel' other than a list of standard hotels that took dogs...

Cheers,
Christina

Appalachian Writer
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I'm in VA and I've got an empty bedroom. I've also got 2 cats and a bassett hound so animals are no trouble. I don't know what route you're taking so I don't know if you'll be coming anywhere close. As for the driving? I can't help you there. Send me a PM about the route and we'll see if you come near.
Appy

Jean Marie
08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Definitely looks like I'm driving. Can't get a flight out, just tried....I thought peeps were staying home w/ the economy???

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. Half asleep and the like. Leaving today and back in 3 weeks. Off to AAA in an hour or 2 when they open for pet friendly hotels, etc. Meanwhile, coffee's needed, etc.

Thanks, Appy :)

Appalachian Writer
08-07-2008, 03:27 PM
Definitely looks like I'm driving. Can't get a flight out, just tried....I thought peeps were staying home w/ the economy???

Sorry if I wasn't too clear. Half asleep and the like. Leaving today and back in 3 weeks. Off to AAA in an hour or 2 when they open for pet friendly hotels, etc. Meanwhile, coffee's needed, etc.

Thanks, Appy :)

Wish I could help in some other way. :e2coffee: Here's some virtual coffee. And I'm sending prayers. My father was with hospice for the last week of his life. They were terribly supportive. My husband was with them for 2 months. Again, terribly supportive. One of the nurses spoke at my husband's funeral. Good luck.

Jean Marie
08-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Thanks, everyone.

Final decision: Flying out tomorrow am and staying for a few weeks. Then, driving back w/ my mom's pup. Kola's gonna miss a road trip.

Seems to be the way things worked.

Thanks again.

I just hope my mom's peaceful.

Perks
08-07-2008, 05:00 PM
If your trip home leads you close to Western North Carolina, I'd love to host you! Don't hesitate.

Good luck and take care out there, Jean Marie.

CaroGirl
08-07-2008, 05:01 PM
All the best to you during this difficult time. Sounds like you got it all worked out and I hope it goes smoothly. Being in south-eastern Ontario, I couldn't have helped you out anyway.

Take care!

nerds
08-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Jean, very sorry about all you're going through.

:Hug2:

For your trip back, look into Red Roof Inn. You can book ahead of time online and they allow pets. The rooms are always nice and they seem to always put Red Roofs within quick walking distance to restaurants and grocery stores. Good luck with all this.

stormie
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Oh, Jean, all I can do is pray for you, and pray for your mom that her passing is peaceful. Hospice will make sure of that, I know. Again, you really are in my thoughts and my prayers.

It's good you're flying to CA. I think driving out there would be horrible, with the way you feel physically and emotionally.

gophergrrrl
08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm a little late on the thread, but I'm praying for you too. I'm sorry about your mommy. Be strong, k? =o]

MoonWriter
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Prayers, thoughts, and a hug, if needed.

SpookyWriter
08-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi Jean-Marie. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. If you need anything then just email me. Have a safe trip. Please keep us up to date on what's going on.

Joe270
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry about the route idea, I misunderstood and thought you had three weeks before departure. But you have time to consider your route home, so it might be helpful.

I echo the 'Red Roof' suggestion, they run a pretty good motel chain. While you're in San D, just drop by any 'Red Roof' and pick up a nation-wide Red Roof directory. You can use you cell to call ahead when you're looking for a stopping place and make a reservation and confirm that pets are okay.

Pagey's_Girl
08-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Adding more hugs here...

Jean Marie
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Can never get enough hugs at a time like this from all of you. Thanks.

I'll definitely look into the Red Woof Inn. Thanks for the suggestion. Wouldn't have thought of it, at all. My mom's pup will like it. It's gonna take time for both of us to acclimate...

sassandgroove
08-07-2008, 09:53 PM
GLad you found a flight. HUG

Sorry to hear about your mom. HUG

Wish I was along your route. HUG.

Keep in touch when you can. HUG

We'll leave the light on for you. HUG

III
08-07-2008, 09:54 PM
:Hug2: If you happen to get hopelessly lost on the way back and end up in San Antonio you can stay at our place :D

sassandgroove
08-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Is there anything else you need?

Pat~
08-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Jean Marie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. But I'm relieved that you are flying out, and driving back later--time is of the essence, and your own health with be better hopefully in 3 weeks for the drive back. Take care of yourself, and drive safely. :Hug2:

soleary
08-08-2008, 12:17 AM
Wish I could help, but not near your route. Did you know you can fly a dog in the plane's cabin if you purchase a seat for him? I traveled from LA to NYC with two big bull dogs. Suffice it to say I no longer use the blankets on American :)

Unique
08-08-2008, 12:40 AM
Seems like a strange route. ]VEGAS BABY, then San Diego?

That sounded like a strange route to me, too. Especially this time of year - it's HOT on the southern route((!!))

Thanks, everyone.

Final decision: Flying out tomorrow am and staying for a few weeks. Then, driving back w/ my mom's pup. Kola's gonna miss a road trip.

Seems to be the way things worked.

It sounds like a better idea, Jean Marie. If you want a better way back home, email me before you leave. I was in the service when I was young and I had to plot my way hither and yon too many times to count. That's why I hate to drive now. (!!)

I'm WAAAY better than triple A, Map Quest or any of them beasties when it comes to plotting a route. I gave up using them a long time ago.

((HUGS)) ***blessings**

Southern_girl29
08-08-2008, 02:42 AM
I just wanted to give you big hugs and wish peace to you and your mother. Hospice is a great thing and will make sure your mother is at peace.

Judg
08-08-2008, 02:56 AM
Jean Marie, so sorry to hear you're going through all this and sorry I'm not on your route either.

Shweta
08-08-2008, 04:34 AM
JM, call me or email anytime. You know I'll be close enough, whatever you need.

Jean Marie
08-08-2008, 07:59 AM
:Hug2: If you happen to get hopelessly lost on the way back and end up in San Antonio you can stay at our place :D
If I begin spinning like a top, I'll keep it in mind. Many thanks :D

Is there anything else you need?
Yup, the most important thing of all, at the moment: It seems I'm not going to make it in time to see my mom. It also appears that the last words she spoke were to me, I said I loved her, and she responded, "love you, too."

I guess I'd like to ask if you could think/pray that she passes gently. My brother called a bit ago so I could say good bye. I did. She didn't react.

An old family friend who's known my parents (my dad died 5 years ago) since before I was born called and my brother put the phone to her ear. It's weird, 'cause I did the same for my dad...anyway, she told my mom she'd keep an eye on me for her. So, my mom opened her eyes, then closed them. I got a good laugh out of that. Only for her :) Ok, she did date my dad prior to him meeting my mom.

That sounded like a strange route to me, too. Especially this time of year - it's HOT on the southern route((!!))

It sounds like a better idea, Jean Marie. If you want a better way back home, email me before you leave. I was in the service when I was young and I had to plot my way hither and yon too many times to count. That's why I hate to drive now. (!!)

I'm WAAAY better than triple A, Map Quest or any of them beasties when it comes to plotting a route. I gave up using them a long time ago.

((HUGS)) ***blessings**
I'll check w/ you first, promise. Thanks.

JM, call me or email anytime. You know I'll be close enough, whatever you need.
I'm counting on it, Shweta.

You're all the best. Thanks so much for the support and help and prayers. It means sooooo much :Hug2:

You don't know how much it's gonna hurt until it happens...

Jean Marie
08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Off in a few minutes...just phoned hospice and my mom's waiting for me, I think :)

Thanks again, everyone.

astonwest
08-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Yup, the most important thing of all, at the moment: It seems I'm not going to make it in time to see my mom. It also appears that the last words she spoke were to me, I said I loved her, and she responded, "love you, too."Sorry to hear about your mother. I certainly hope that things work out so you can see her in time.

sassandgroove
08-08-2008, 08:55 PM
HUGS and Prayers

AmyDoodle
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Peace and prayers for your family, now and in the coming days and weeks.

Susie
08-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Jean Marie, prayers sent to you and yours and everyone above. :e2grouphu

C.bronco
08-09-2008, 06:21 AM
Hey JeanMarie, I can get you from Fairfield to PA.

I wish you the best. Let me know If I can to that small jaunt.

Jo
08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Thinking of you, Jean Marie. :Hug2:

Shweta
08-17-2008, 02:04 AM
Hey all,

Just been on the phone with Jean Marie.
She was there for her mother's passing. She has been run off her feet ever since, and she hasn't been able to post on AW.

Her mom's funeral is on the 21st and she's planning to head back out on the 26th, and take a leisurely drive back and meet AW people on the way.

I'm hopefully going to see her tomorrow. We were trying for yesterday but, cf aforementioned running off feet; she didn't have time.

Okay, those are the bare facts. Here's the other thing, though.
Given that she was in the hospital just a little while ago, and almost died there, then had to get it together really quickly, and given that she ought to be getting time to grieve and isn't, her health isn't the best, folks. I'm sure she'd appreciate thoughts and prayers for strength. She's a tough lady, and will get through this, but it's really hard for her, and she's worn to a crisp.

If people want to post good wishes, I'll do m'best to print them out and give them to her :)

Judg
08-17-2008, 02:08 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Jean Marie. Please take care of yourself.

JLCwrites
08-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Jean,
Sorry that things have been so difficult. Please keep strong, come home safely, and spend some time to relax and find some peace. You are missed here in AW and we are all looking forward to giving you more virtual hugs.

Take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you on this journey.
-TL

Fenika
08-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Get lots of rest Jean, physically and emotionally! :Hug2:

nerds
08-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Jean,

be as good to yourself as you can, and take good care. We're thinking of you.

Joycecwilliams
08-17-2008, 03:44 AM
Interesting thought, the train. Kinda like it. Thanks.

I'm also thinking, now, of flying 1 way, then driving back w/ my mom's car. My brain's muddled w/ all kinds of things. sadness, etc. One way or the other, I'm out of here, today.

Jean,
I am so sorry. I would offer to go, but I have work this week. (I only work every other week and there is no one to cover for me). My daughter lives in S.D. and I've driven across country 5 times..

Some airlines let you take the dog (in a crate) on the plane, if they are small.
It might be worth it to get the pup her own ticket.

I feel so helpless, I would love to do this...

Take care of yourself ..
hugs
joyce

nancy sv
08-17-2008, 03:55 AM
My thoughts are with you Jean Marie. My mom died just over a year ago and I remember - oh so well - that frantic dash back home. Take your time and grieve your loss. You're one tough cookie and will make it through just fine.

Southern_girl29
08-17-2008, 04:35 AM
I am so sorry about your mom, but I'm glad you were able to be there for her passing. When we lost my granny back in December, we brought her home with hospice, and she held out until all of her children arrived. I hope you are able to take the time to grieve and also to recover physically.

reigningcatsndogs
08-17-2008, 05:18 AM
Hugs and prayers, JM.

Susie
08-17-2008, 06:03 AM
Our thoughts & prayers are with you and yours, Jean Marie. So sorry you had to go through this, but know we're here for you. :Hug2:

sassandgroove
08-17-2008, 06:14 AM
Jean Marie, Hang in there and let us know if you need anything! :Hug2:

Yeshanu
08-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Hugs and prayers, JM.

Joe270
08-17-2008, 11:25 AM
JM, I'm happy that you made it in time, but sorry for your loss. I understand how tough it is for you now, be strong, get some rest, and take care of yourself. We're here for you when you need us, focus on yourself right now.

Shweta, thanks for helping and representing the spirit of AW in JM's time of need. I appreciate it.

aka eraser
08-17-2008, 11:09 PM
Hang in there JM. We got your back.

awatkins
08-17-2008, 11:40 PM
((((Jean Marie)))) Thinking of you and sending love and prayers.

Shweta
08-18-2008, 05:01 AM
JM and I hung out for a few hours this afternoon. We had time to talk, on the beach, and we went for a walk that got curtailed because she and my husband decided to teach me how to make drip castles.

So then we each made a cool biggish drip castle -- therapeutic for all of us, I think, and we had fun noting how grown-up we weren't :D

After which we joined them together and suddenly the drip-thing was immense. Also AWESOME. A single great big drip-castle....thing. And we attracted an audience, average age six. Seriously, about 12 little ones, toddler to 9 or 10, and a couple adults. JM and I invited the kids to join in, and JM and Mr. Shweta showed them how, and they all got really into it. So we ended up with a drip-metropolis, aided and abetted by enthusiastic kids who were so excited that they could do this neat-looking thing, and talk about therapeutic. We all had a wonderful time.

Then we left the metropolis in the able wee hands of the kids, and went swimming. JM tried to show me how to survive big breakers, but I am a bad student. And also significantly shorter than either her or Mr. Shweta :D So I went blub a lot.

So we had a great time, all of us, and though the reason we met up is so sad, I'm very glad we did.
The only downside is, no camera. So no pictures for you nice folks. You will just have to believe in our AWESOME and that we attracted many mini minions.

I didn't manage to print the thread out, but JM wanted to let you know she is able to show up and read AW sometimes, and read your responses here. She's just not up to posting yet.

Unique
08-18-2008, 05:11 AM
thankx, shweta - :hi:hi, jean marie!

Take it easy as often as you can. Let me know if you'd like the high road or the low road ...

Judg
08-18-2008, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the update Shweta. Sounds like an awesome day.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Hugs for all of you! And extra hugs for Jean Marie.

Susie
08-18-2008, 05:34 AM
Aww, I'm so glad you guys had such a nice time. That's so great and sure glad Jean Marie was able to have fun. You all deserve it a lot! Thx much for the fun description and letting us know. :Hug2:

Haggis
08-18-2008, 05:34 AM
Ah, Jeanne, you got that green-skinned pointy toothed gal with you. That ought to make anyone feel better. I'm truly saddened about the loss of your mom, but I hope things continue to get better for you. You have an awful lot of people rooting for you. Plus, you know how to make drip castles. I don't even have a clue what that is.

Hugs and puppy licks.

Shweta
08-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Ah, Jeanne, you got that green-skinned pointy toothed gal with you.
:D

Plus, you know how to make drip castles. I don't even have a clue what that is.
I didn't either till last week. It's this sort of thing, but ours was cooler:

http://amykane.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/25/dripcastles.jpg

nerds
08-18-2008, 02:06 PM
We believe in your awesome. "drip metropolis", what a cool term. Great post, good story. Memories are made of this.

EriRae
08-18-2008, 02:27 PM
:Hug2: JM. So sorry about your mom.

Glad you met up with Shweta. Thanks for the great post, Shweta. Sounds like you had a great day. Also sad for the circumstances, but it's good to make those RL connections with our virtual lifelines.

nerds
08-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Shweta, will people continue to keep us posted here along the way? Jean's got one long drive ahead of her and it would be good to know she's safe and doing alright as she travels.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-18-2008, 03:56 PM
If she's still planning to come through Oklahoma, I'll certainly update everyone. I don't have anyplace to make those neat drip castles, but I bet she and I can find something to do that'll get posted here in the Travel Journal.

stormie
08-18-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi Jean,
I just read the rest of this thread and realized your mom passed away. I'm glad you were able to make it there on time. Give yourself the "okay" to grieve, even if it means sleeping through a day or crying at odd moments. My prayers are with you!

(Shweta, thanks for the updates!)

Mela
08-18-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm late on this thread, Jean but wanted to also to send along my thoughts. Be strong.

sassandgroove
08-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Shweta, I am so glad you got to see Jean Marie and have a nice time. Hang in there JM! WE love ya'!

Sarita
08-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Jean Marie, hugs and love. I'm so sorry about your mom.

If your trip takes you through PA, the state, not the company, I'd love to host you for tea, cakes, an overnight, and lots of giggles with my hoot-of-a-toddler. :) Hope you're taking some time for yourself in all this. It's good to know cool folks like Shweta!

Lots of love,

Sara

Pagey's_Girl
08-19-2008, 05:23 AM
Sending more hugs....

Pat~
08-19-2008, 05:30 AM
Shweta, thanks for the update, and that cool picture explaining drip castles. I grew up going to the Jersey shore each summer, and never graduated to making the sand-pail variety. Creativity (esp. at the beach) is a great stress outlet, and sounds like JM had a good visit.

Jean Marie, hang in there. Travel safely, and keep us posted (when you can) on how you're doing. (((Hug))).