PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a good empanadas recipe?

emeraldcite
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Empanadas are crazy delicious and I haven't found a recipe quite yet that I've had turn out right.

Anyone have a tried and true method?

Thanks!

CBumpkin
08-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Oh. My. Yes! Here's a recipe you'll flip for! The dough is superb! Make plenty because they go fast! It's worth the effort and the prep time, I promise!

Empanadas

INGREDIENTS

1/2 cup butter, softened
3 ounce package of cream cheese
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup fruit preserves
1/3 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS

DAY BEFORE: Cream butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
Beat in the flour.
Shape dough into a smooth ball, wrap in foil or cling wrap, and refrigerate overnight or up to a week.

AT BAKING TIME: Remove dough from refrigerator 30 minutes before using. Preheat oven to 375* F (190* C).
Roll chilled dough thin. Cut with 3 or 4 inch round cookie cutter.
Place small spoonful of jam in center and moisten edges with water.
Fold dough over and press edges together.
Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 15 to 20 minutes.
Immediately roll in sugar mixed with cinnamon (traditional)
OR in powdered sugar if preferred.

CBumpkin
08-07-2008, 01:01 PM
(Sorry. I get excited about cooking... :heart: )

emeraldcite
08-07-2008, 05:14 PM
(Sorry. I get excited about cooking... :heart: )

me too and that recipe sounds great. i'll give that one a try!

JLCwrites
08-07-2008, 06:52 PM
LOVE Empanadas! I don't have a good recipe for the dough, but I had the pleasure of eating empanadas that were stuffed with black beans and sweet potatoes. Sooo yummy!

CBumpkin
08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
LOVE Empanadas! I don't have a good recipe for the dough, but I had the pleasure of eating empanadas that were stuffed with black beans and sweet potatoes. Sooo yummy!

I like my empanadas stuffed with "real food," too. Especially with curried chicken! I'm not much on sweets, but, when I make the ones with the preserves, there's no such thing as making enough.

Whatever you fill them with, the dough recipe in my post above really is pretty amazing.

melaniehoo
08-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Ooh, that recipe sounds delicious!

emeraldcite
08-07-2008, 09:21 PM
I like my empanadas stuffed with "real food," too. Especially with curried chicken! I'm not much on sweets, but, when I make the ones with the preserves, there's no such thing as making enough.

Whatever you fill them with, the dough recipe in my post above really is pretty amazing.

That's the toughest part for me, finding the right dough recipe. I've tried a few, but I haven't gotten that one yet that makes me say "yep, that's it."

I'll try this one soon and let you know the results!

maxmordon
08-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Empanadas are great! but keep in mind the regional variations:

VARIATIONS

Empanadas al Horno (Chile and Argentina):The filling above is called pino and is typical for empanadas eaten in Chile and Argentina. Usually the filling of each empanada is topped with a sliced hard-boiled egg before it is encased in the pastry and baked. Chileans add a little more onions, Argentinians a little more beef.

Empanadas de Atún (Tuna empanadas): Sauté a minced onion in olive oil. Cool and stir in 3 or 4 drained cans of tuna, 1 cup of frozen peas (opt.), salt and pepper. Fill pastry and bake as directed above. Sometimes the filling is topped with a couple slices of hard-boiled egg. Other recipes call for adding the tuna and a 1/2 cup white wine to the pan with the onions and simmering to cook down the wine a bit.

Empanadas de Espinaca (Spinach empanadas): Sauté some minced onion and garlic in olive oil. Add about 2 pounds of cleaned, chopped spinach and cook till wilted. Season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg and cool. Toss with 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella, fill pastry and bake as directed above.

Empanadas Gallegas (Spain): The people of Galicia in northwest Spain fill empanadas with stewlike mixtures of onion and chicken, beef, salt cod, tuna, rabbit or seafood. Empanadas gallegas are often made like a large double-crust pastry and cut into serving portions. Make the dough as described above, but divide into two pieces and roll out into two rectangles, one slightly smaller than the other. Lay the larger rectangle on a greased and floured baking sheet. Spread your desired filling over the pastry leaving a 1-inch border. Lay the smaller dough rectangle over the filling and moisten the edges with water. Bring the edges of the bottom pastry up over edges of the top pastry and press to seal. Poke some holes in the top pastry with a fork and decorate with pieces of leftover dough if you like. Bake as for individual empanadas, allowing a little more time to cook completely through.

Empanadas Mexicanas (Mexico): the pino filling, known as picadillo in Mexico, is common. Other possibilities are chile-seasoned and shredded chicken or beef topped with grated cheese. Moles are a popular filling in Oaxaca. Fruit filled empanadas are favorites everywhere.

Empanadas Venezolanas (Venezuela): made with the same dough used for arepas. Roll the dough out into rounds between plastic wrap, fill, seal and deep fry in hot oil. Popular fillings are meat, cheese, black beans and seafood.

Pastelillos (Puerto Rico): fill with pico (known as picadillo in Puerto Rico), shredded cheese or guava paste (guayaba).

emeraldcite
08-08-2008, 02:29 AM
Yes, I like all of them...lol.

The biggest problem for me was finding a good source for the dough. I just didn't have a recipe that worked for me the way I wanted it to...