PDA

View Full Version : Preschool Teachers

WildScribe
08-07-2008, 02:26 AM
Looking for preschool teachers for a "confessions" type of article. Things that you wish more people knew or things that you wish you could say to parents (like "you worry too much" and "we're way understaffed").

Thanks for the help!

ink wench
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi WildScribe, I'm not a preschool teacher but my mother has been working in preschool for thirty-some years, first as a teacher and mostly as a director/executive director. I've subbed and done crisis intervention for her and have heard plenty!

Two ideas for you:
1. Yeah, preschool/daycare is wicked expensive. We know this, parents - you don't have to constantly whine about it. But those teachers who have a minimum of a two-year degree (four-year for head teachers) are making only about 20k/year. That's it. So while you're complaining, think about how little they're getting paid for an extremely demanding job. If fees go up, it's because the price of everything is going up and the director wants her teachers to at least get cost-of-living raises. Preschools are EXPENSIVE to run!

2. If a teacher/director/social worker/intervention worker tells you your child needs a psych evaluation, they aren't just "misunderstanding" your child. Seriously, it's not normal for a four-year-old to throw tables at a teacher, purposely take a pee on another child's blanket, or tell other kids they are "fucking assholes." Get help before your kid ends up on the evening news.

I could go on, too.... Hope that helps!

spike
08-07-2008, 07:08 PM
I worked in Preschool/early education for 15 years. The most annoying thing I've seen is the parents who aren't happy until their child cries.

Mom (dad) drops the child off. The child is happy to see his friends. Mom makes a big fuss about saying goodbye. Starts to leave, then comes back for one more hug and kiss. Mom leaves the room, talks to some of the staff, then comes back to hug and say goodbye again. By this time, the child will start crying, and mom leaves for work, crying too. Or angry. Or late for work. This happens more than you would think.

Second scenario: Mom (dad) keeps appologizing because they have to put the child in daycare. Statements like:

I hate leaving you here.
I wish we could stay at home.
Someday you won't have to come here.

These statements tell the child that the daycare is the most horrible place in the world. Of course the kid is going to cry and say they hate daycare. Parents who feel this guilt should say more possitive things, like:

You are going to have so much fun! I wish I could stay and play with you!
I wish I didn't have to work. etc.

I could go on and on. You can PM me if you want more.

stormie
08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
I was a preschool teacher (not daycare) for one year. Yep. That was it. It was all I could take. I've been a parent to two special needs kids, a second grade teacher for nine years, and then that one year at preschool. So I can see both sides of the story.

Adding to the above:

1) Too many parents thinking their "little darling" wouldn't ever, ever do anything wrong. It's all the other kid's fault. Wish parents would take their blinders off, step back, and try, try to look at the situation objectively.

2) Too many kids for one teacher and aide. I mean, come on, 16 three-year-olds with one teacher and one aide?!

3) If the child is sick, parents should keep him away from the preschool! Arrange beforehand for alternate care at your own home. Parents should see how germs fly in a classroom. And to top it all, they're infecting the very people who are in charge of the children.