Not open for further replies.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Hello guys, I'm new to this board!

I've done some market research myself, but I haven't really found anything. The thing is, normally I'm a non-fiction and adult fiction writer, but I've published a bit of children's stuff, as well. But I've also written a collection of folklore-stylized fairy stories (folklore studies being part of my profession), just as a personal challenge, and a few days ago, one of them won a fairy-tale writing competition in my country :Trophy: . So all my writing buddies started this "oh, you really need to get them all published" thing. I sat down and did some research but I haven't really come up with anything. I don't think a market for this kind of thing actually exists, what do you think? Have you ever come across any mags or publishers that publish fairy-tale stylizations by modern authors (not remakes of traditional stories)? Somehow I don't think so.

Thank you very much!

CalissaLeigh

Registered
Reaction score
Website
calissaleigh.com
You know, I DID see this somewhere, in Writer's Market and durn if I can remember what section it was under. I think there was a magazine, kids magazine, that did this. I think the majority they did was fairy tales. And the books sell really well too!

Perfect Pancakes, if you please is a fairy tale style book that has been published in recent years. (Can you tell I visit the kid's section of the library enough? ) Check the publisher of that one.

Fairy tales are my absolute favorite. I'm a Grimm nut. Congradulations on winning the contest!

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
Try doing some research on Amazon. I usually find it pretty helpful when I'm trying to determine what's recently been published.

I think there's always a market for any manuscript, if it's well written and tells a compelling story. The Quiltmaker's Gift by Jeff Brumbeau is a wonderful tale, more fable, really, than fairy tale, and it was published by Orchard Books (a Scholastic imprint). Also, there are many "fractured" fairy tales on the market, too.

Hope that helps.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
Oh, thanks a lot, guys, for your support and advice! I'll research some more.

You're all such good friends here at AW!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.