PDA

View Full Version : Food Questions

Shadow_Ferret
08-06-2008, 05:55 PM
I didn't want to dedicate a thread solely to goat's milk, so I'm calling it Food Questions. It could be a sort of running thread where if anyone runs across some sort of food they know nothing about, they can ask people here, "What the hell is this green thing I found at the store?"

I'll start. :)

So we went to the State Fair (our state fair is the best state fair) and there was a goat products counter. I tried the goat cheese. OK. Then I asked to try the goat's milk. Mmm. Delish, but I've always liked milk. Milk doesn't like me. I'm somewhat lactose intolerant. But I've heard that some lactose intolerant people tolerate goat's milk, so since it tasted good, I figured, what the hey and bought some.

I got it home and had some the next day. It came out in clumps, like cow's milk does when it goes bad. Hmm. But it smelled OK. Hmm. So I called my mom, the farm girl and asked her about goat's milk. She never had it.

I noticed that the container said it was non-homogenized. That means the milk and cream and fat are NOT emulsified, right? (In the old days, milk used to separate and you could drink the cream from the top. Yum!)

So, brave soul that I am, I tried a chunk. It was creamy and tasty. Hmm. So I just shook the hell out of the milk poured it and drank a cup. Mmm. Delish.

Today. Delish.

So was I right in assuming those chunks were just separated globules of fat or am I flirting with disaster here?

GeorgeK
08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Yes, the clumps were likely goat butter. Goat's milk has lactose just as Cow's milk. Perhaps you have a mild cow milk protein allergy rather than true lactose intolerance? For a flavor comparison, raw milk has always been better than pasteurized and homogenized (to me anyway). In Yellow Springs Ohio is Young's Dairy (near Dayton) which if it's still there has raw goat and raw cow milk available along with ice cream and possibly organic burgers (it was around before all the legal definitions changed regarding what is and isn't organic). When I was there it was one of only 2 dairies left in the US allowed to sell raw milk to the general public all year round as opposed to a special licence for a fair.

JLCwrites
08-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Here is an article (http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=38646) I found about the same topic. I was interested in switching to goat's milk, unfortunately it isn't easy to find in a supermarket around here. Goat cheese is great with Greek style foods. I have recently tried it with olive tampenade (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/olive-tapenade-recipe/index.html) and crackers.

chevbrock
08-11-2008, 09:48 AM
My kids use soap made from Goat's milk and it has improved their eczema no end!