PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Dawn+Little Brother=mayhem

Joe270
08-06-2008, 10:22 AM
So the 'Twilight' phenomenon has hit my teen daughter really hard. She has been waiting, impatiently, for the book to get to our door from Amazon. She has checked the mailbox like some drug addict desperate for a fix.

She didn't expect the doorbell to ring. She was upstairs, online. She did, out of curiosity, look out the window to see the mail truck.

She bolted for the stairs, but fell down them. She was too late.

Her little brother, twelve, had the box and bolted out the door, giggling like a fool. The chase was on. Down the street and around the corner they went, barefoot on pavement baked by 100+ degrees for six hours.

After a brief, but violent and vociferous struggle, the box of books was liberated from the little sneak thief, who was smart enough to re-track his steps on the concrete rather than burn the toe-cheese out of his feet crossing the asphalt like his older (supposedly wiser) sister.

No doubt that mailman will never again go anywhere near our home.

I don't expect to see my daughter for a day or so, either, for that matter.

dpaterso
08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
You'd think by now she would've rigged a window/rope fast exit to thwart little sneak thieves. Might cost you some bucks repairing the window every time she dives through it and swings down, but the satisfaction would be worth it.

Just trying to be practical.

-Derek

MoonWriter
08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
My daughter just turned 20 a few months ago, so I remember her teen years well. All I can say is, thank you JK Rowling for writing seven long books. I enjoyed the peace and quiet each one brought. Hope you don't miss your daughter's absence.

Alice.S
08-06-2008, 11:09 AM
That’s way I hide my copy.
Only appears under the covers of my bed; late at night, accompanied by a flashlight and myself :)

Joe270
08-06-2008, 11:12 AM
You'd think by now she would've rigged a window/rope fast exit to thwart little sneak thieves.

I'm more worried about a rigged paint bucket on a rope ala "Home Alone", to brain the little stinker before he ever takes the first step.

I don't know if I have enough med insurance for it.

Or enough home-owner's insurance if the first attempt failed, the whole house will become one huge booby-trap.

Perhaps I should just beat the snot out of them both right now as a preemptive strike to save my credit rating.

No one could fault me in that, right? Damn ankle-biters. Ya teach 'em everything ya know, and they still don't know nuthin'.

Joe270
08-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Hope you don't miss your daughter's absence.

Nah, we all just charged into her room and ransacked it. I farted into her pillow before I left, just to leave a lingering sense of family inclusion.

I'm not positive, but I suspect her brother left some 'booger nuggets' for her to find as well.

txgrl
08-07-2008, 02:24 AM
You didn't really fart on her pillow did you?
That's just cruel & inhumane.

Gravity
08-07-2008, 02:55 AM
Depennds on what he ate. Broccoli, yeah. But a Snickers bar...who knows?

darrtwish
08-07-2008, 04:01 AM
Ahaha. I see the Twilight fandom has sucked another helpless teenager into the world. Lol. It's worth it, though. Stephenie Meyer is an amazing writer, and Breaking Dawn is the best book ever written (in my opinion anyways). Just wait until she starts gushing to you about the characters, you'll never get her to shut up, trust me, I'm one of those freaky fangirls you pray your daughter will never become ;)

Joe270
08-07-2008, 04:39 AM
You didn't really fart on her pillow did you?
That's just cruel & inhumane.

Okay, I have to admit I didn't actually do it. After a wrestling match to try to pry the book from her, the subject came up. That only led to being ushered out the door. Her brother had no time to go 'mining for booger nuggets', and he seems to have, finally, grown out of that stage where the kids seem to always have at least one finger up their nose at all times.

We would have succeeded in getting the book if my wife had joined in on the 'dog pile', and not just giggled from the doorway.

Foiled again.

Stephenie Meyer is an amazing writer, and Breaking Dawn is the best book ever written (in my opinion anyways).

No doubt Meyer has a huge following. Check out Maestro's thread in Movies about ComiCon 08 where he describes the thousands clamoring for 'Twilight'.