Chemical Substances - Cause Amnesia

Meigner

Registered
Reaction score
Continued exposure to what chemical products, medication, gases... can affect a persons short-term memory? I have a story about a man locked in a bedroom so anything that can be put into his food, or released into the air ducts, or a visual stimulation will suffice.

Thanks.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I forget the technical/chemical name, but probably the "date rape" drug is what you the character in your story doing this wants.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I forget the technical/chemical name, but probably the "date rape" drug is what you the character in your story doing this wants.
Rohypnol.

Halcion, a sedative and sleep aid, is also said to sometime produce temporary amnesia -- I've heard dentists sometimes use it in combination with demerol for difficult procedures -- the patient then can't recall how bad the whole thing was.

Meigner

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks you guys am likely going to go with Halcion it fits the purpose of the story the most.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I took Halcion when I had LASIK done on my eyes. It's a mild hallucingen as well. Its effect after about 20 mins was that I no longer wanted to hang screaming from the ceiling--I was kinda, like, dude, I can, y'know, deal. :rolleyes: I presume my dose was quite mild, since I remember the procedure quite well.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Ketamine can be administered orally or injected intramuscularly. Continued dosage will wipe the person's memory of all events while on the drug. It is a popular 'Date rape' drug. It is my understanding that it can be used long term to keep the person in the state you are talking about.

I'm using it as an integral tool in my current WIP.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Halcion by itself is normally not an amnestic, but it is often combined with multiple other agents and those combinations have rarely been studied.

Alcohol is the classic, but usually requires long term high dosage when used on its own and will have side effects most likely when the person wakes up. It also can potentiate the effects of other things such that smaller dosages can have more significant effects, but also a higher risk of complications, like apnea, permanent brain damage etc. Anyone remember Karen Ann Quinlan?

Rohypnol (sp?) as said above can have true black outs, where people recognize that there is a gap in their memory and so know that something happened.

Ketamine is more of a dissociative they will probably remember strange distorted images.

Propofol (aka milk of amnesia, but I've only ever seen it give IV) is a classic with little side effects.

Versed (a relative of valium) has been known to cause retrograde amnesia. I often had patients who could not remember what I told them in the pre-op holding area before they were given the versed by the anaesthesia personell prior to going back to the OR.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Ketamine can be administered orally or injected intramuscularly. Continued dosage will wipe the person's memory of all events while on the drug. It is a popular 'Date rape' drug. It is my understanding that it can be used long term to keep the person in the state you are talking about.

I'm using it as an integral tool in my current WIP.
I'd be careful in your scenario about "long term" use of ketamine in doses sufficient to produce altered mental state. I sometimes treat patients for several days with it IV when I don't have anything else that seems to be working, and it invariably causes pretty fast heart rate, often increased blood pressure, and a major increase in salivation and deeper respiratory secretions--they literally foam at the mouth (unless I use other drugs to block that effect). There are studies of long-term oral ketamine as an adjunct to other drugs, but you don't get much in the way of mind-altering effects.

I agree with George about the amnestic effects of benzodiazepines like midazolam (Versed). Fifteen minutes or so of retrograde amnesia is common--they forget what happened even before they got the injection.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I agree with George about the amnestic effects of benzodiazepines like midazolam (Versed). Fifteen minutes or so of retrograde amnesia is common--they forget what happened even before they got the injection.
I've had small amounts of Versed during procedures and could remember everything. The real question is where can I get some more?

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I've had small amounts of Versed during procedures and could remember everything. The real question is where can I get some more?
A big guy like you? Demand 3 milligrams, followed by another 2 or so if you're still coherent after the first dose. 5 mg should do you fine. But you're over 18 so I can't help ya with that.

Last edited: