PDA

View Full Version : Bees and bees revisited

Perks
08-06-2008, 04:31 AM
I have recounted (more than once for you patient souls) the story of my first run in with the garden variety honey bee: how it was sucked up into the jetstream of my father's hurtling black Buick and right up the unsuspecting snout of four-year-old Perks.

It was hideous and I always get people by saying that all these years later (thirty-four of them at this writing) I can still feel its frantic legs, scrabbling for purchase in my sinuses before I snorted it back in preparation for my most Biblical scream. And every word of it is true.

Well today, my sweet baby, five years old, tried to go me one better and got stung in the eye.

She's alright, but it's been a day, I tell you. I'm on glass of wine number three and she's in a Benadryl coma.

Oi.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-06-2008, 04:40 AM
Oh, Perks!!! The female line of your family must have done something terrible in the Olden Days to be visited with such trials now! Poor baby!

Now I understand how it was easy for you to do the NetiPot! After you've had a bee up your nose, nothing could be as bad as that!

Perks
08-06-2008, 04:45 AM
She was much braver than I was way back when. But then again, she didn't have panic-pressurized blood jetting out of her face all over her father's shoulder.

Does stress give you the hiccups or is it pinot grigio? I am a lightweight.

SPMiller
08-06-2008, 05:00 AM
It's the wine. Better make that your last glass just in case she needs you.

But I bet she'll be alright.

Kryianna
08-06-2008, 05:04 AM
Oh, the poor little thing! I hope she's doing ok.

Are we sharing bee horror stories? I put my left hand down on a hornet on my honeymoon and got stung on the ring finger. I couldn't get my wedding ring off in time, and my finger swelled up huge. Hurt like heck the entire honeymoon.

Mandy-Jane
08-06-2008, 05:07 AM
Oh no! I'm always scared when there are bees around my kids. I'm sure she'll be okay, the poor little thing. (And I'll have a glass of wine for you tonight Perks!)

Appalachian Writer
08-06-2008, 05:11 AM
God bless her! I've had my share of stings (country living and all that). They hurt like the dickens! Hope all is well. Hugs!

Perks
08-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Thanks guys! She was able to swat the bee clear very quickly. The stinger was not driven in, so her venom load was likely minimal. She's a trooper. They told me to give her Benadryl every five hours or so for the first day and a half.

What a mess. She's cool though. Very stoic - it's sort of heart-breaking.

Susie
08-06-2008, 05:22 AM
Gee, sure sorry, Perks. Glad she's alright. Yikes, and you had a similar thing with bees... Always something and not always good. Good vibes headed your way. :Hug2: Let us know how she is doing, k.

Captshady
08-06-2008, 05:59 AM
How awful, that poor poor thing! :(

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Think of the story she'll have to tell, though!

Perks
08-06-2008, 06:07 AM
And she's likely to be taller than me. I'm so annoyed.

MoonWriter
08-06-2008, 06:25 AM
As someone who's worked in a few hundred gardens, I've had my share of stings - from wasps, yellow jackets, bumble bees, and the occasional ticked off honey bee, but never in the eye or nose. You and your daughter have my sympathy. I hope when she wakes up, she won't be in any more pain.

If you haven't already, maybe you and your daughter can take up one of my favorite pastimes: killing bees (except honey bees). A friend of mine showed me how to slap kill wasps, but my favorite was to exterminate them is with the wasp spray that can take out a whole freakin' nest.

Siddow
08-06-2008, 06:40 AM
Now I know what to send you and the family for a holiday gift!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/97/Bee_smoker.jpg/180px-Bee_smoker.jpg

Just like their human counterparts, bees calm down quite a bit after a nice smoke.

Siddow
08-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Oh, to add onto the killing-bees post above my other one; yellow jackets enjoy a nice treat of tuna fish laced with Ajax.

Haggis
08-06-2008, 06:51 AM
Please tell me the devil child is going to be okay.

ErylRavenwell
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
Who hasn't been stung by a bee in the eye? Those little buggers always go for the eye. :(

Cassiopeia
08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Two evenings ago my son decided to surprise me by trying to clean up the overgrown ground cover in the back yard.

Only I hadn't time to warn him that we'd found a yellow jackets nest in the hill side and to stay away. He was just supposed to be mowing the lawn. He'd been at his dad's for the weekend and didn't know.

He came scampering in the house to say he'd been stung and we found five stings. He was lucky enough that only five got him. He'd taken a rake to the opening without knowing it. It was dusk. Oh my gosh did they get him. He welted up. He said they stung him so fast all at once he hadn't time to really realize what was happening but heard the buzzing and ran like hell.

He felt pretty sick yesterday but today it's just a memory.

Yeah I had the exterminators out yesterday and it took a half hour to kill them. They found two openings and then sprayed the entire hillside.

My gosh those things are ferocious. :(