How do you recommend someone to your agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Say you've had an agent for a while, and you have a good business relationship (as in, your agent invites questions and conversation relevant to your writing at any time). And say your friend has written a manuscript within your agent's genre, and you have read said manuscript cover to cover and really feel it's something your agent would enjoy. Your friend writes a query letter. How would you go about writing your agent to recommend the manuscript, or would you?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
First, does your friend write the same genres as you do? A lot of agents strongly advise their clients to not read other writers' unpublished mss, friends or not. It's a legal issue.

Second, all it takes is a phone call: "Hey, I know this guy So-and-So and he's got a great ms. you may be interested in. Should I send him your way?" There, you've got yourself a recommendation.

Last edited:

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
First, does your friend writes the same genres as you do? A lot of agents strongly advise their clients to not read other writers' unpublished mss, friends or not. It's a legal issue.

Second, all it takes is a phone call: "Hey, I know this guy So-and-So and he's got a great ms. you may be interested in. Should I send him your way?" There, you've got yourself a recommendation.

But if I'm not supposed to read it, how would I say he's got a great MS?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If it's a different genre, sometimes it's okay. Say you're a romance writer and your friend writers epic fantasy.

Also, you can recommend the writer himself but not his particular ms. Just say, "I know this fantastic writer. Although I didn't read his ms., I'm sure you may find it interesting."

TrishD

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trishdoller.com
I usually feel out my agent beforehand. Like, "Hey, how do you feel about YA in free verse form?" If she says she's not into it, I don't pursue it further. Otherwise, I tell her I've got a friend whose MS I loved.

I guess it all depends on your relationship with your agent. Mine is definitely interested in leads, so if I have one, I share it.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
First, does your friend write the same genres as you do? A lot of agents strongly advise their clients to not read other writers' unpublished mss, friends or not. It's a legal issue.

I agree on the method of making the recommendation. As for the legal issue, I can only see two possible issues, which probably aren't worth worrying about in this case: (1) the agent (A) is worried that if her client (B) later writes something similar to the new person's story (NP), the client will get sued. (2) The agent is worried that if some other client ever writes a similar story, the MS author (NP) will go nuts and think that in some devious way, client B read the manuscript, told agent A about it, and agent A then went out and found some other writer and had that other writer write a similar story.

Scenario 2 is ridiculous and not worth worrying about at all. Scenario 1 is not going to be a problem as long as the original poster here makes sure not to write something similar to what her friend wrote. And in any event, these scenarios can both be addressed by having the friend sign a waiver form. So, not sure why agents would be so hung up about this, and in any case, since the OP's agent never made any such warning to her, this shouldn't be a problem in this case.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Each agent's going to be different, and each author relationship will be different, too.

I do know that some agents don't want to get things passed on to them until they're very confident that the writer so passing is able to spot both talent and what the agent is looking for.

Also, the agent could be worried that if she passes on your friend's MS, then you'll be upset with the agent and/or have problems with your friend. This, btw, is a very realistic concern.

Again, it's going to depend on YOUR relationship with YOUR agent as to how and when it'll be best to approach.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
Go ahead and recommend your friend. Your agent will make her own decision anyway. I read a lot of agent blogs and I have never ever seen an agent complain about a recommendation. Just make sure you contact the agent before your friend sends a query mentioning you or it will make your friend look bad. Lots of people say they they've been recommended just because someone says, "Maybe you should query my agent."

As for reading the MS, if your agent hasn't told you not to, where's the problem? Whatever you do, don't go lying about things.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Here...let me spell it for you, Tom. That's C - E - L- I--am I going too fast? No? Okay. -- N - A on the first name. Insert that name into glowing recommendation and see? All done.

:D

Thanks!

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.