Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Me, an idea? Amazing.

I've been mulling over the auctions I've observed or participated in, and got to thinking, which is how people tell me ideas happen.

Often, our generous members bid more than the auctioned item is worth in the open market, precisely because they are generous members and it's for the good of AW. However, that means that members on a budget--and that's a lot of us--are priced right out of the auction.

What would you all think of a sale rather than an auction, where someone agrees to provide up to a certain number of the same item, all to be sold for some affordable price? (I was thinking somewhere between five and ten dollars.) That way, members of limited means could still get something at a nice price and feel that they, too, are helping to support AW.

Food comes to mind--a batch of cookies, caramel corn, toffee, etc. split several ways isn't much more effort, really.

A small or simple handicraft, for the handy and crafty, might be do-able in multiples. Put on some good music and make yourself a little one-person assembly line, and these tasks can go pretty fast. Trust me, I once made 36 refastenable dolly diapers in an evening.

Gently used books might be nice. It wouldn't be hard to put together a Mystery Readers' Mystery Book package.

Photographic prints have been popular at our auctions for a reason. We've got people who do some great work. Is it a lot harder to pick one image and make five prints than to make one? (I dunno.)

What else might we provide in multiples that we'd gladly just sell for a low cost?

Maryn, who looks silly in this thinking cap

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have plenty of books and comic books that I would be happy to send to a new home even for a token price.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Same here. I'm willing to give away some books for sale for AW.

And how about a date with Ray? I think that's worth $0.29 at least.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dang it, and me with only a quarter.

Maryn, who'll check the bottom of her purse

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com

Maryn said to duplicate. Can you make five of you? Or are you talking five dates with five different people?
(notice I said people and not women)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mentioned gently used books: how about a very specifically themed 'grab bag' of maybe 5 books? Like Former Hugo Award Winning Sci Fi, Urban Fantasy, Supernatural Romance, High Tech Thriller, Historical Autobiography, Healthy Cookbooks, Literature of India, etc.

Or Christmas ornaments-I can whip up a bunch of the same thing that looks pretty cool, in a reasonable time period. I'm sure other crafty types can do the same. (Umm, I'm not Christian, but we have a...Hanukkah...bush...at our house. I can also whip up a bitchin menorah!) That's a good thing to buy for one's self and a good gift.

Binding funky cool little blank books is fairly pain-free as well. I know we all carry around little notebooks to scribble away in public eccentrically.

I live in an apartment so I don't have any shop equipment, but is it doable to make carved wooden pens using a...um, lathe? yeah, that's the ticket. lathe. woodworkers of AW?

Oh yeah! Also really easy to make are those hot packs that have rice or buckwheat or whatever inside. You put them in the microwave and they smell like lavender and then you put them on your neck which is sore from typing at your desk all day. I make mine in the shape of bunnies but I spose that's optional.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're so selfless, Ray-ray. I'm willing to make caramel corn and ship it overseas, but that's about it.

Maryn, who cleaned out the baking cupboard today

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ben, don't you have a computer file named "Ideas" or something similar? Mine's full of ideas that aren't worth the bother of pursuing.

Here's a freebie from my file:
Spring 2000, news reports that the descendants of the famously-feuding families have a reunion together, attended by a couple hundred, with a barbecue and a friendly tug of war. What if it ends in renewed bloodshed over the tug of war when someone is injured (finger severed)?
There, now go write that puppy up. I'll expect half when you sell it.

Maryn, generous

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
Spring 2000, news reports that the descendants of the famously-feuding families have a reunion together, attended by a couple hundred, with a barbecue and a friendly tug of war. What if it ends in renewed bloodshed over the tug of war when someone is injured (finger severed)?
hmmm... Romeo and Juliet 2: Tug of Love

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Remind me why I would pay for something I've already gotten for free?

Oh! Right! To support AW :D

This is a great idea, Maryn.

Sara, who makes cookies far too often.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are some good ideas here. Just a reminder that Dawno has a CafePress store with AW merchandise. Once CafePress takes their cut, the rest goes to AW. Dawno keeps nothing for herself.

If you scroll down, there are inexpensive items like coffee mugs, magnets, mouse pads, etc... Just a way to support AW and get some cool stuff too.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good, I was hoping some other people might see a value in a method of AW fund raising that didn't break the budget of people on a budget.

I wish I was craftier, or that you all lived in my town so I could just tell you to come by and pick up your fresh baked goods. Instead, I can't quite shake the memory of the caramel corn that took 20 days to mail first class in the US.

Anyway, whoever's got something to offer at a low set price, especially in multiples, should get in touch with SoccerMom to set it up.

Maryn, conferring with painters and repair guys costing $1200 a pop

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good idea, Maryn.

When are you picking me up, Ray? I've got 29 cents. Two twenty nine cents, even. ;)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
((!!??!!)

What the heck kind of date is that, Ray? I can take myself out for $49.

Love ya, baby. But a can of beenie weanies and a walk in the woods would be a good date for me (with the right person) You're waay too rich for my blood. ;)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm having to cover my mouth with both hands to keep myself from a riff on Ray and beanie weenies...

Maryn, massive inner strength

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:e2poke:I'm not getting in that argument.

Back on the original topic: how about some limited edition dragon greeting cards? You won't find them anywhere else.