What's for Dinner?

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
We have some folks on this board with really great ideas. I myself have even tried making the Lembas Bread recipe that was posted!

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is having for dinner. I know, I know, some people get embarrassed and don't want to say, "I just mixed-up a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and that was it!" But, don't worry, this thread isn't about who the greatest chef is, just a place to be social, get ideas and general fun with food!

If it's lunch time, whatcha having? Checking in during breakfast? What's that you're eating? Snacking? (Someone is, I hear some crunchin' going on!)

I'll start. I just finished making dinner and am having Indian food. It's my favorite food and is usually pretty fast and easy to make. Tonight I made tomato chutney with basmati rice and some roti. It sounds fancy, but it's really, really not! The chutney took me 10 minutes and the roti took me about the same (10-15). The rice cooked in 15 while I was making the chutney and roti.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Because of the rib thread the other day I had a yen, so dinner tonight was BBQ'd ribs, roasted Greek lemon potatoes, steamed asparagus, coleslaw with apples, onions and creamy apple cider vinegar dressing and for dessert fresh wild blueberry pie and whipped cream.

*urp*

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
African Chicken

Whole chicken stuffed with:

couscous (about 2c cooked)
orange juice (2 tablespoons)
raisins (2 tablespoons)
sliced almonds (2 tablespoons)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt + pepper

Chop 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves. In a pot large enough to hold the chicken, sautee onions + garlic in olive oil until tender. Sprinkle 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp dried ginger over the onions + garlic. Stir. Add ~2 cups water.

Add stuffed chicken.

Poach over medium heat for about 20 minutes.

Drizzle about 2 tablespoons honey over the chicken

Cook for another ~40 minutes.

Unbelievably tender and juicy, interesting spice mixture, and I love the stuffing.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
We had breakfast for dinner. I fried up some potatoes and onions, added eggs, and the last step for me was a whole lotta Tabasco. Mmm...

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
I love breakfast for dinner. And the sweet potato and chicken curry just made my stomach growl! The African Chicken sounds like it's worth trying, too!

Last night, it was just beans on toast for me. I like it, just not as much as I would any of these recipes!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I have no idea what's for dinner....what I do know is I have a pack of thawed ground chicken and a can of sweet potatos......any ideas?

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
We had breakfast for dinner. I fried up some potatoes and onions, added eggs, and the last step for me was a whole lotta Tabasco. Mmm...

Next time add some shredded up sliced ham (sandwich meat).....yummm. But brown it a bit before adding the eggs.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
For tonight?

Sweet potato and chicken curry, jasmine rice, a mango and peach chutney, and toasted pita triangles lightly coated with evoo and fennel seed.

Would it be too much to ask for the recipe??? For ALL OF IT? ;)

Moonfish

Registered
Reaction score
My husband just made us some banana bread according to a recipe I've used many times. It came out high and lovely and a few minutes later collapsed, capfoosh. Any ideas why?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight is a quick & easy skillet dinner (kielbasa, potatoes, veggies) because we've got to finish cleaning up the house for the company coming for dinner tomorrow.

Dinner tomorrow (prep starts tonight) is grilled dragon chicken, grilled corn on the cob, a whipped jello parfait thing, rolls and whatever the friends are bringing over (dessert & wine, IIRC).

The weekend will be stuffed with leftovers--even better! LOL!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's what I'll make too....the sausage, potatos and vegies thing. :p

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hee hee, this is a fun thread. Tonight's dinner is probably going to be pork ramen, using egg noodles and pork stock I saved from the pork buns I made on Monday. I will probably add eggs... not sure what else, if anything. Ideas? Also, if I get around to it, I'll make some MORE pork buns since I still have a ton of pork left over.

Pork, pork, pork. I think I have noticed a theme in this week's meals. ;)

nicolen

Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right and straight on till morn
I love the sound of the chicken and sweet potato curry. And the peach and mango chutney. Please do post the recipes! Assuming we ever get summer again, I'll definitely make the chutney.

We've got sleet and snow and other fun things predicted to hit this afternoon, so it's going to be soup. Leaning towards curried pumpkin and kumera (sweet potato) but I'll have a look and see what else I've got before I make the final decision.

Oberon

Registered
Reaction score
I was just given a taste of our dinner, which I am now looking forward to. Salmon patty sandwiches with mango and avacado and probably other hidden ingrediments my wife comes up with. I am blessed to be living with a woman who could have been a 4 star chef. Maybe I can persuade her to give me a recipe or two to post. My experience as a cook is to put a piece of meat in the oven and cook it for a while. I do make pretty good french toast, however.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Macaroni surprise

2 boxes mac'n'cheese, prepared and dumped in a bowl
1 lb ground beef, browned and crumbled in the same pot, drain
add the mac'n'cheese back in with the meat, mix
add 1 cup (or more) of sliced olives, mix
add half-cup of romano, parmesan, asiago, whatever is handy, mix
You can eat it as is, or dump the whole mess into a casserole dish, top with bread crumbs, and brown

The "surprise" is how good it is!

Yeah, I'm a hillbilly. Why do you ask? :tongue

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
2 boxes mac'n'cheese, prepared and dumped in a bowl
1 lb ground beef, browned and crumbled in the same pot, drain
add the mac'n'cheese back in with the meat, mix
add a half teaspoon of chili powder

CHILI MAC

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't eaten boxed mac-n-cheese since I don't know when. I grew up making it from scratch and can't imagine it any other way. Made with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Mmmm...

I've added ground hamburger and corn before. Heck, I even make the chili mac that Captshady mentioned, but only 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder? WIMP! When I cook, I have spices in all four hands and they're dashin' and sprinklin' and pourin' all over the place! Spice it up!

At my former job, the cafeteria made mac-n-cheese. I tried it once. It was normal mac-n-cheese, but they put chunky onions in it. I wanted to kill them. WHO puts onions in mac-n-cheese? I was writing an episode of Murder She Wrote in my head for the rest of the day.....

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Unless someone's around to stop me, I typically put lots and LOTS of onions in egg salad sandwiches.

Onions in mac'n'cheese you say? Hm....