PDA

View Full Version : What's for Dinner?

CBumpkin
08-05-2008, 02:58 AM
We have some folks on this board with really great ideas. I myself have even tried making the Lembas Bread recipe that was posted!

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is having for dinner. I know, I know, some people get embarrassed and don't want to say, "I just mixed-up a box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese and that was it!" But, don't worry, this thread isn't about who the greatest chef is, just a place to be social, get ideas and general fun with food!

If it's lunch time, whatcha having? Checking in during breakfast? What's that you're eating? Snacking? (Someone is, I hear some crunchin' going on!)

I'll start. I just finished making dinner and am having Indian food. It's my favorite food and is usually pretty fast and easy to make. Tonight I made tomato chutney with basmati rice and some roti. It sounds fancy, but it's really, really not! The chutney took me 10 minutes and the roti took me about the same (10-15). The rice cooked in 15 while I was making the chutney and roti.

joyce
08-05-2008, 03:23 AM
My dinner wasn't anything fancy tonight. I fried chicken and had mac & cheese. It's really great for the arteries and good too.:D

kikazaru
08-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Because of the rib thread the other day I had a yen, so dinner tonight was BBQ'd ribs, roasted Greek lemon potatoes, steamed asparagus, coleslaw with apples, onions and creamy apple cider vinegar dressing and for dessert fresh wild blueberry pie and whipped cream.

*urp*

tiny
08-05-2008, 04:43 AM
My boyfriend made chili and cornbread. He's a wonderful cook but I've never had chili so wish me luck.

Kitrianna
08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Nothing is for any meal until I start feeling better. This virus makes eating virtually impossible. *sniffles*

smoothseas
08-07-2008, 06:09 PM
For tonight?

Sweet potato and chicken curry, jasmine rice, a mango and peach chutney, and toasted pita triangles lightly coated with evoo and fennel seed.

shawkins
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
African Chicken

Whole chicken stuffed with:

couscous (about 2c cooked)
orange juice (2 tablespoons)
raisins (2 tablespoons)
sliced almonds (2 tablespoons)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt + pepper

Chop 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves. In a pot large enough to hold the chicken, sautee onions + garlic in olive oil until tender. Sprinkle 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp dried ginger over the onions + garlic. Stir. Add ~2 cups water.

Add stuffed chicken.

Poach over medium heat for about 20 minutes.

Drizzle about 2 tablespoons honey over the chicken

Cook for another ~40 minutes.

Unbelievably tender and juicy, interesting spice mixture, and I love the stuffing.

JLCwrites
08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
We had breakfast for dinner. I fried up some potatoes and onions, added eggs, and the last step for me was a whole lotta Tabasco. Mmm...

CBumpkin
08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I love breakfast for dinner. And the sweet potato and chicken curry just made my stomach growl! The African Chicken sounds like it's worth trying, too!

Last night, it was just beans on toast for me. I like it, just not as much as I would any of these recipes!

jennifer75
08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
I have no idea what's for dinner....what I do know is I have a pack of thawed ground chicken and a can of sweet potatos......any ideas?

jennifer75
08-07-2008, 09:06 PM
We had breakfast for dinner. I fried up some potatoes and onions, added eggs, and the last step for me was a whole lotta Tabasco. Mmm...

Next time add some shredded up sliced ham (sandwich meat).....yummm. But brown it a bit before adding the eggs.

jennifer75
08-07-2008, 09:07 PM
For tonight?

Sweet potato and chicken curry, jasmine rice, a mango and peach chutney, and toasted pita triangles lightly coated with evoo and fennel seed.

Would it be too much to ask for the recipe??? For ALL OF IT? ;)

Moonfish
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
My husband just made us some banana bread according to a recipe I've used many times. It came out high and lovely and a few minutes later collapsed, capfoosh. Any ideas why?

DeleyanLee
08-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Tonight is a quick & easy skillet dinner (kielbasa, potatoes, veggies) because we've got to finish cleaning up the house for the company coming for dinner tomorrow.

Dinner tomorrow (prep starts tonight) is grilled dragon chicken, grilled corn on the cob, a whipped jello parfait thing, rolls and whatever the friends are bringing over (dessert & wine, IIRC).

The weekend will be stuffed with leftovers--even better! LOL!

jennifer75
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
I think that's what I'll make too....the sausage, potatos and vegies thing. :P

JoNightshade
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Hee hee, this is a fun thread. Tonight's dinner is probably going to be pork ramen, using egg noodles and pork stock I saved from the pork buns I made on Monday. I will probably add eggs... not sure what else, if anything. Ideas? Also, if I get around to it, I'll make some MORE pork buns since I still have a ton of pork left over.

Pork, pork, pork. I think I have noticed a theme in this week's meals. ;)

DeleyanLee
08-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I think that's what I'll make too....the sausage, potatos and vegies thing. :P

If you're talking about my recipe, I posted it in the Cheap Eats thread somewhere. ;) If you've got another one, I'd like to hear it.

nicolen
08-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I love the sound of the chicken and sweet potato curry. And the peach and mango chutney. Please do post the recipes! Assuming we ever get summer again, I'll definitely make the chutney.

We've got sleet and snow and other fun things predicted to hit this afternoon, so it's going to be soup. Leaning towards curried pumpkin and kumera (sweet potato) but I'll have a look and see what else I've got before I make the final decision.

Oberon
08-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I was just given a taste of our dinner, which I am now looking forward to. Salmon patty sandwiches with mango and avacado and probably other hidden ingrediments my wife comes up with. I am blessed to be living with a woman who could have been a 4 star chef. Maybe I can persuade her to give me a recipe or two to post. My experience as a cook is to put a piece of meat in the oven and cook it for a while. I do make pretty good french toast, however.

Shadow_Ferret
08-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Gah! I don't know. I forgot to take something out of the freezer to defrost.

Gravity
08-08-2008, 01:09 AM
Macaroni surprise

2 boxes mac'n'cheese, prepared and dumped in a bowl
1 lb ground beef, browned and crumbled in the same pot, drain
add the mac'n'cheese back in with the meat, mix
add 1 cup (or more) of sliced olives, mix
add half-cup of romano, parmesan, asiago, whatever is handy, mix
You can eat it as is, or dump the whole mess into a casserole dish, top with bread crumbs, and brown

The "surprise" is how good it is!

Yeah, I'm a hillbilly. Why do you ask? :tongue

Captshady
08-08-2008, 01:11 AM
2 boxes mac'n'cheese, prepared and dumped in a bowl
1 lb ground beef, browned and crumbled in the same pot, drain
add the mac'n'cheese back in with the meat, mix
add a half teaspoon of chili powder

CHILI MAC

JoNightshade
08-08-2008, 01:27 AM
We eat our mac'n'cheese mixed with frozen peas round these parts. :)

CBumpkin
08-08-2008, 01:57 AM
I haven't eaten boxed mac-n-cheese since I don't know when. I grew up making it from scratch and can't imagine it any other way. Made with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Mmmm...

I've added ground hamburger and corn before. Heck, I even make the chili mac that Captshady mentioned, but only 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder? WIMP! When I cook, I have spices in all four hands and they're dashin' and sprinklin' and pourin' all over the place! Spice it up!

At my former job, the cafeteria made mac-n-cheese. I tried it once. It was normal mac-n-cheese, but they put chunky onions in it. I wanted to kill them. WHO puts onions in mac-n-cheese? I was writing an episode of Murder She Wrote in my head for the rest of the day.....

JoNightshade
08-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Unless someone's around to stop me, I typically put lots and LOTS of onions in egg salad sandwiches.

Onions in mac'n'cheese you say? Hm....

Gravity
08-08-2008, 02:20 AM
Aw. c'mon! Browned onions added to anything makes it better! (Well, maybe not pudding...or ice cream...but almost everything).

JLCwrites
08-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Tonight is BBQ Veggie Burgers and smoothies.

Gravity
08-08-2008, 04:34 AM
C'mon, Turkey, that's not funny. What are you REALLY having...?

L M Ashton
08-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Today's breakfast and morning snacks were sourdough coconut pancakes and sourdough cinnamon buns. The hubby's parents sure seem to love those coconut pancakes! And, well, everyone loves those cinnamon buns! This batch of cinnamon buns were my best - fluffiest and lightest - so I'm happy. :)

Lunch was curried chicken, beans and carrots, and leeks on rice for the hubby and a salad on a sourdough pita with homemade mayo for me. :) I've been craving raw veggies a lot lately, so I've been doing stuff like the salad a LOT lately. :)

Moonfish
08-09-2008, 04:03 PM
Hubby made me waffles (from scratch, naturally) this morning! For lunch we had a fry-up of potatoes, onion, sausage and bell pepper, and dinner will be smoked salmon with new potatoes and mayo. Gorgeous...

CBumpkin
08-09-2008, 11:14 PM
Today's breakfast and morning snacks were sourdough coconut pancakes and sourdough cinnamon buns. The hubby's parents sure seem to love those coconut pancakes! And, well, everyone loves those cinnamon buns! This batch of cinnamon buns were my best - fluffiest and lightest - so I'm happy. :)

Lunch was curried chicken, beans and carrots, and leeks on rice for the hubby and a salad on a sourdough pita with homemade mayo for me. :) I've been craving raw veggies a lot lately, so I've been doing stuff like the salad a LOT lately. :)

Mmmm... curried anything and I'm in heaven! That batch of sourdough went a long way, didn't it?! LOL

I know what you mean about the raw veggies. Several months ago, I went 100% raw and never felt better in my life. Unfortunately, it was too expensive to keep up with and I had to stop. I would love to be at a point where I could do that again.

shawkins
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Yumsville. Recipe?

L M Ashton
08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
*laughs* Sure. They're both linked to in the sourdough thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101919&highlight=sourdough). :)

The cinnamon buns lasted a day and a half. I'm currently baking another batch. They seem to go pretty quickly here...

The coconut pancakes... Well, I made the second half of the batch yesterday morning, and when I turn around, there were only six left. What???? And I turn around again, after I eat one, and gone! Fahim's parents apparently love them. :D

L M Ashton
08-10-2008, 03:09 PM
...and another beeyootiful batch of sourdough cinnamon buns exits the oven...

JLCwrites
08-12-2008, 05:02 AM
Asian tofu sandwiches with sauted walla walla onions and sliced cucumber.

Clair Dickson
08-12-2008, 05:43 AM
I just made chicken noodle soup, but I don't have enough broth left for the leftovers. My noodles tend to get VERY thirsty (I think it's a rice noodle thing, I dunno.) I finally got enough seasoning and salt in there this time-- I grew up on Campbells, before the Dark Times, before the Empire... I mean, before I had to go gluten free. But at least I have two large containers of chicken noodle soup in the fridge-- quick and easy food.

Bmwhtly
08-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Tonight will be chicken casserole. Chicken, onions, stock and some vegetables.

Tastygood.

Gravity
08-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Tonight it's grilled cheese sammiches and my grandmother's recipe homemade tomato-basil soup. Peach pie for dessert. Yowza!

vixey
08-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Pizza delivery! (Hubby's out of town, but the kids still want to eat.)

CBumpkin
08-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Tonight it's grilled cheese sammiches and my grandmother's recipe homemade tomato-basil soup. Peach pie for dessert. Yowza!

How embarrassing is this: I can't make a decent grilled cheese samidge to save my life! How ridiculous is that? Same goes for Rice Krispy Treats! They NEVER come out right for me!

Yet, I can easily make homemade breads and gourmet meals that are so good they'd bring Jesus back early.

It's these darned simple things that confound me! LOL

CBumpkin
08-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Pizza delivery! (Hubby's out of town, but the kids still want to eat.)

Wanna hear my pizza tip? Whenever I run into a great 2 for 1 deal, or end up in a situation where I know I won't be eating all the pizza, here's what I do:

As soon as the pizza arrives, I wrap the pizza in tin foil - two pieces in each - and then put them in the freezer. I do this while it's still hot and fresh. Then, when I want pizza again, I put a tin foil pack in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and voila! It tastes like it was just delivered.

Being single, I don't often eat a whole pizza!

blacbird
08-13-2008, 08:44 AM
Broccoli, snow peas and snap peas, with a pinch of fresh cilantra and chervil, straight from the garden, sauteed in a little olive oil, with a dash of fresh ground pepper and a minor blast of Goya Adobo powder (the kind in the yellow-topped container), which is a great substitute for salt, fabulous with veggies or seafood.

That's it. Was plenty enough.

caw

CBumpkin
08-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Broccoli, snow peas and snap peas, with a pinch of fresh cilantra and chervil, straight from the garden, sauteed in a little olive oil, with a dash of fresh ground pepper and a minor blast of Goya Adobo powder (the kind in the yellow-topped container), which is a great substitute for salt, fabulous with veggies or seafood.

That's it. Was plenty enough.

caw

Mmmm... greens. Good eats!

SLThomas
08-15-2008, 02:28 AM
I had some leftover vegetarian chili that I made the other day, served w/grated Cheddar, sour cream, tabasco and some whole-wheat tortilla chips. Dessert was berry frozen yogourt.

CBumpkin
08-15-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm going through a cleanse right now, so it's ground flax and hemp seeds in water for me. And tea. Always tea.

Clair Dickson
08-15-2008, 03:15 AM
Cocoa Pebbles. Gluten and corn free. And just enough sweet. Yes, that's dinner. I don't feel like cooking...

BenPanced
08-18-2008, 04:19 AM
Salad. Everything except the dressing -- lettuce (looks like Romaine), cucumber, tomato (cherry and unknown variety), and eggs -- came from a friends' farm. It's their first year selling food shares.

SLThomas
08-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Tonight I'm finishing off the great couscous that I made last week. It's got chicken thighs, merguez sausages, turnips, green and yellow zuchinis, onions,garlic, chickpeas and tomatoes. All with a splash of Harissa paste!

Polished off with a tall glass of Diet Canada Dry ginger ale.

jennifer75
09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Tonight was more about snacks than dinner. Tempura'ed broccoli and mushrooms. Yummm. The beer was good too. Is there such thing as a beer battered tempura mix? Hmmmmm?

Shadow_Ferret
12-01-2008, 01:29 AM
"Father's Favorite Meat Loaf"
from my recipe book created by German Immigrants who settled in Ellis County, Kansas after coming over from the Volga River region in Russia in 1876.

Takes an 1-1/4. Guess I should get crackin.

smoothseas
12-01-2008, 01:47 AM
walla walla onions

Walla walla onions? What ary the? Or, just regular on-yuns from that area of Washington?

I'm making chicken marsala, spaghetti with garlic and olive oil, and garlic bread, with spinach salad for starters. Have to run out to the store for the portabells, though, or it's a non-issue.

Just reading these last few posts have made me very, very hungry.

Shadow_Ferret
12-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Tonight is Pot Luck. We have Thanksgiving leftovers. Meatloaf leftover. Ring of Bologna leftover.

Yum.

MaryMumsy
12-02-2008, 11:18 PM
My mother used to call that buffet (pronounced boo-fay). Odds and ends of things that weren't enough to make a meal, but were enough to let each person have something different.

MM

Shadow_Ferret
12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
I love boofay. The kids do, too. They probably wish for boofay all the time.

Shadow_Ferret
12-28-2008, 03:21 AM
Tonight. Beer bratwurst and fried macaroni.

vixey
12-28-2008, 03:25 AM
Tonight. Beer bratwurst and fried macaroni.

Too funny you're having Bratwurst.

We're having Italian sausages on the grill; pasta with garlic, walnuts and parmesan; and some veggie I have yet to figure out.

Shadow_Ferret
12-28-2008, 03:52 AM
It's raining, otherwise I might have grilled them. Despite the temps.

Yeshanu
12-28-2008, 05:45 AM
I just had bread and milk.

A nice, thick slice of home-baked bread, slathered with butter on both sides. :)

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2008, 04:02 AM
Tonight we had hamburgers and waffle cut fries.

Siddow
12-29-2008, 04:06 AM
We're still eating ham. Ham sammies for lunch, then ham slices skillet-cooked with maple syrup, mustard, and pears, with a side of cornbread stuffing with Craisins in it.

It was really good, but man, I'm getting sick of ham.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 03:14 AM
Fried Barramundi filets and boxed Ranch and bacon Suddenly Pasta salad.

vixey
12-30-2008, 03:18 AM
Fried Barramundi filets and boxed Ranch and bacon Suddenly Pasta salad.

Is a barramundi a fish?

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2008, 03:44 AM
It's a fish off the coast of Australia from what I understand. Yes.

vixey
12-30-2008, 04:53 AM
Sounds good.

We had beef fajitas.

Teleute
12-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Tonight I made Moroccan lentil soup and naan for the first time. The naan was out of this world, better than at the Indian restaurant. (Recipe is here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Naan/Detail.aspx)

L M Ashton
12-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Today was Chicken Biriyani, Hyderabadi-Style (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Biryani-Hyderabadi-Style/Detail.aspx). Excellent, although I hopped up the amount of garlic, green chillis, and salt used, plus added potatoes and 3 tablespoons of red chilli pepper flakes.

Despite the long list of ingredients, it's very easy to make. Very flavourful, very very nice.

sadron
12-30-2008, 06:44 PM
Today french fries and franks (not sure if it's right word for it).

JLCwrites
12-30-2008, 07:40 PM
I tried duck for the first time last night. It was actually pretty good!

Shadow_Ferret
01-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Making CHili. And not the throw a bunch of soup cans together type I'm known for, but a real, cook most of the afternoon with real ingredients. Well, except for McCormick seasonings, but you get the idea.

scarletpeaches
01-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I had cheesy pancakes for dinner, and plan to have Ferret for dessert. :e2brows:

Shadow_Ferret
01-12-2009, 01:49 AM
oh.my. :)

rhymegirl
01-12-2009, 04:02 AM
Baked chicken, garlic mashed potatoes and corn.

Siddow
01-12-2009, 04:14 AM
London broil, mashed potatoes and broccoli. With red wine reduction, non-reduced wine on the side. :)

JLCwrites
01-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Pasta with a spinach and pine nut pesto. *smacks lips*

JLCwrites
01-13-2009, 04:47 AM
Walla walla onions? What ary the? Or, just regular on-yuns from that area of Washington?

Oh sorry... just read this. Yes, they are from Washington, and they are sweet onions like Vidalia.

Bmwhtly
01-16-2009, 02:06 PM
It's Burns Night a week on Sunday, so tonight I'm doing a practice run because it's been years since I cooked a Haggis.

Clair Dickson
01-19-2009, 06:00 AM
Homemade Chicken Alfredo (over rice noodles) Yum. =)

GhostAuthor
01-19-2009, 04:40 PM
It's Burns Night a week on Sunday, so tonight I'm doing a practice run because it's been years since I cooked a Haggis.
Never had haggis. . . not really sure I'm that adventurous. What goes into it anyway?

GhostAuthor
01-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Last night. . . had lamb chops with a mustard, rosemary crust, mashed potato and pan-roasted brussel sprouts.

Tonight. . . Cedar planked salmon, rice and green beans.

Arisa81
01-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Mmm...ya'll have had some yummy dinners. We had tacos tonight, one of my favourites :)

Bmwhtly
01-20-2009, 12:14 PM
Never had haggis. . . not really sure I'm that adventurous. What goes into it anyway?If I told you, you'd never try it :)
But it's a pre-made haggis, I'm just cooking it (with turnip and potato)

MattW
01-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Good cheesesteak and mediocre fries.

Queenofpov
01-21-2009, 09:37 AM
I had a burger, fries, and a berry shake.

chrislee2482
01-26-2009, 05:01 PM
African Chicken

Whole chicken stuffed with:

couscous (about 2c cooked)
orange juice (2 tablespoons)
raisins (2 tablespoons)
sliced almonds (2 tablespoons)
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
salt + pepper

Chop 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves. In a pot large enough to hold the chicken, sautee onions + garlic in olive oil until tender. Sprinkle 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp dried ginger over the onions + garlic. Stir. Add ~2 cups water.

Add stuffed chicken.

Poach over medium heat for about 20 minutes.

Drizzle about 2 tablespoons honey over the chicken

Cook for another ~40 minutes.

Unbelievably tender and juicy, interesting spice mixture, and I love the stuffing.
just reading....my mouth is watering if i make and eat then...tonight it is my dinner...I am going to cook this dish

tjwriter
04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Bringing back an old thread for good reasons.

Tonight's dinner is going to be using this as a base, but as some of the reviews refer to it as bland, I will be adding spices. The husband likes lots of flavor in his cooking.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Cheesy-Chicken-I/Detail.aspx

I figure the crockpot lets me help him out because I can do it and not strain myself during my recovery.

fringle
04-20-2009, 08:20 PM
My husband is out on a business trip, so I got a bit indulgent to cheer myself up.

I roasted a chicken and carrots for the kiddies. I took a nibble.

And for myself, I got a big burrata cheese that I'm going to have with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. I also have some roasted red peppers, parma ham, olives and a bottle of cava.

jodiodi
04-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Last night's supper:
Broiled sliced boston butt steaks with Korean BBQ and Teriaki marinade/glaze
Stir-fried Onions, carrots, mushrooms, nappa cabbage, bok choy and rice with soy/teriaki sauce

I love vegetables and the only way to get my husband to eat them is to put them in something else, especially rice.