PDA

View Full Version : English Pickle...

tiny
08-04-2008, 08:16 AM
I figure since we have a great deal of members from other countries I might find the answer here.

My boyfriend has very fond memories of his Gran's English Pickle. He doesn't know what was in it but he talks about it all the time. English Pickle and cheese sandwiches. Oh and I'm not sure if it makes any difference but they're from Ireland.

Does anyone have any idea what the recipe might be? I'd love to surprise him with it.

Priene
08-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Not much to go on here, I'm afraid, but it could be something like Branston Pickle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branston_Pickle).

tiny
08-04-2008, 06:56 PM
I know. He hasn't given me a lot to go on. He keeps calling it a relish, but I don't think it even has pickles in it from what I've found on the net. Thanks for the link to Branston Pickle, that seems to be the most viable line of thinking. They mention it being great with cheese and he says she always served it with cheese.

This is a lesson in talking to your family and finding out everything you want and need before it's too late.

Gravity
08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Could he be talking about piccalilli? (I'm not sure of the spelling). I think it's supposed to be a type of English table relish...really opens your sinuses!

tiny
08-04-2008, 11:56 PM
He says it has a kick, so maybe. I'll take a look around to see if I can find a recipe.

Mr Flibble
08-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Piccalilli is the evuls for sinus's alright.

Branston ( or similar) pickle is what would normally be in a cheese and pickle sandwich. Or possibly a chutney.

I shall look up some recipes for you.

Branston style pickle:

Ingredients

* 9 ounces carrots
* 1 medium swede (rutabaga)
* 4 garlic cloves
* 4 1/2 ounces dates
* 1 medium cauliflower
* 2 onions
* 2 apples
* 2 unpeeled courgette (zucchini)
* 15 sweet gherkins
* 1/2 lb dark brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 fluid ounces lemon juice
* 12 fluid ounces malt vinegar
* 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
* 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
* 2 teaspoons ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
* 3 dashes kitchen bouquet browning sauce, for colouring

Directions

1 Cube the carrots and swede, and finely chop the garlic, dates, cauliflower, onions, apples, zucchini and gherkins.
2. Combine all the ingredients except the colouring in a large saucepan and bring to the boil; reduce the heat to a simmer.
3.Simmer until the swede is cooked through but still firm (about 1 to 2 hours).
4. Then add the liquid colouring until the colour is dark brown.
5. Spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal.
6. Leave for at least 3 weeks to let the flavours mature.