Thought of the Day

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
A journalist had done a story on gender roles in Kuwait several years before the Gulf War, and she noted then that women customarily walked about 10 feet behind their husbands.

She returned to Kuwait recently and observed that the men now walked several yards behind their wives. She approached one of the women for an explanation.

"This is marvelous," said the journalist. "What enabled women here to achieve this reversal of roles?"

Replied the Kuwaiti woman: "Land mines"
=============
Thought of the day -

Don't be afraid to cry. It will free your mind of sorrowful thoughts. - Hopi

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Where did you find that story? I'd love to share it out to friends!
I think it's supposed to be a joke? A more timely version would have mentioned Iraqi couples instead, but I'm just splitting hairs.

It did make me laugh a little.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch - funny, but ouch...

Although I did read something kind of funny on CNN awhile back concerning land mines. Back during the Falklands War, the Brits and Argentinians rather heavily mined the beaches. Apparently, it turned out to be too dangerous to try to dig most of the mines up, so they ended up just roping off the areas where the mines were located. Well, the penguins native to the Falklands very quickly figured out that they were far too light to trip the mines - but all the other critters who liked to eat penguins weren't. So - all the breeding colonies started setting themselves up in the roped-off areas. According to the article, it's led to a rather significant increase in the number of chicks making it to adulthood...