How do you prepare your favorite fish???

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Wether it's Salmon, Halibut, Catfish or Tilapia, how do you fix it up?

I'm easy, Tilapia batter fried and served up with homemade tartar sauce is all I requite, and a beer or three.

What about you?

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
It depends what's cookin'.

I think I am more of an oven and pot baby, than anything else though. Frying doesn't seem to quite do it for me, unless it's seafood.

Lovely seeing you Jen. :D

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One that is a perennial favorite is catfish rolled in corn meal and fried.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Mmmmm caldeirada..

...pot!

caldeirada+de+raia%5B1%5D.jpg

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Though I fish all the time, lately I've only been cooking them for the hubby. I'm a weirdo because if I don't like the way the fish looks I won't eat it. My favorite way to cook them is fried. Second, slap mayo on them and put them on the grill.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
I like sea fish: salmon, tuna, swordfish, tilapia, etc., It's clean tasting.
I hate river fish: walleye, pike, etc., These smell and taste waaaay too fishy for me.
And catfish? Never! I couldn't possibly eat a fish that needs a shave. It's just way too ugly! I couldn't imagine putting it in my mouth! I also don't want a fish served to me whole. Filet it and keep the head, tail, skin, etc., (That's why I can't eat sardines. The thought of putting it in my mouth gives me the shivers!)

How do I like to prepare my sea fish? My favorite way is on a barbeque, but I rarely get to do that, living in an apartment. So, I like wrapping it up in non-stick tin foil, seasoned however you like, and then bake it in the oven. It's healthier, stays moist, and cuts WAAAAY down on making your home smell fishy!

Catfish? ::::shivers::::

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
fish? on the grill on a wood plank.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I marinate my salmon in a mixture of bourbon, brown sugar and soy sauce and then broil.

Tilapia gets sprinkled lightly with cajun seasoning and then broiled.

Mahi Mahi gets broiled, cooled, lumped and turned into Fish Cakes: mayo, green onion, dill, egg, FRESH bread crumbs, and served with lemon-dill mayo on the side.

I don't do much frying, but when I do, it's either shrimp or catfish.

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
Prawns: Clean, dip in batter, roll over breadcrumbs and deep fry. Serve with hot sauce.
French fries make a nice sidedish and instead of eating them with ketchup, mix in a little red pepper - its not bad

Regular fish (tuna/salmon). Cut into cubes. Mix in onions and jalapeno, vinegar, hot sauce, ginger, red pepper, a little bit of olive oil.
Mix throughly and then cook

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Depends on the fish. Some can stand up to grilling, other's fall apart. So we either grill, or George Foreman the hardier meat. The mushier fish we coat and fry.

And we don't eat tilapia any more since we saw the Dirty Jobs episode and saw what they eat. :Jaw:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the fish. Some can stand up to grilling, other's fall apart. So we either grill, or George Foreman the hardier meat. The mushier fish we coat and fry.

Me too. This mainly means salt water fish get grilled or broiled and fresh water fish get coated and fried.

My favorite fish of all is the lowly brook trout. Gut him, wipe him down, dip in milk, toss in seasoned flour and fry in butter. Good eating.

Walleye and perch are great fresh water fishies. I fillet both, then deal with them the same way I deal with the trout.

Everything else pretty much gets the grill, the oven or I poach them in wine.

Halibut is one fish that you can't screw up no matter how you cook it. It's excellent poached, baked, broiled, grilled or pan fried.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Tilapia (yep - saw the Dirty Jobs episode, just don't think about it...)
Mahi mahi
tuna
swordfish
salmon

All seasoned with salt and pepper, either lemon or lime juice, and shallot salt and then grilled

I also pan sear salmon and tuna on occasion. I broil scallops with lemon, butter and spices - and that's pretty much that. :)

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
Tilapia (yep - saw the Dirty Jobs episode, just don't think about it...)

:::sigh::: I didn't see the show, since I don't own a television, but this is now impossible for me. I can't not think about it now! No more tilapia for me! I don't know, and don't WANT to know, what it is that they eat!

Salmon, tuna and swordfish are my favorites and the only fish that I would be able to overlook in that way. Someone mentioned mahi mahi. I've not tried that one yet.

Back when I did have television, there was a great travel adventure show I used to love watching. Speaking of fish, here's a very hysterical YouTube video (a clip from the show) about eating San Nachi!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Most tilapias are omnivorous with a preference for soft aquatic vegetation and detritus = the bodies of dead organisms or fragments of organisms or fecal material.

But it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure tastes good!!!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to grill trout--stuff with onion slivers with citris slices, wrapped in foil, grill until it smells great.

For anything we bake, it's the fish, a splash of olive oil, spices wrapped in foil and baked for about 1/2 hr at 350. For salmon filets, it's a splash of olive oil, spices, a small dollop of honey & a couple splashes of Lea & Perrins.

We're into seriously keeping it simple. LOL!

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I too love to bake my tilapia with roma tomatos slice and seasoned alongside....they turn out so juicy and tasty!!! Sprinkle some cotija cheese on top and eat it up! So yummy!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
And we don't eat tilapia any more since we saw the Dirty Jobs episode and saw what they eat. :Jaw:

I don't think I'd eat a tilapia if it was the last think left for me to eat! I didn't see the show but there's a place around where I live that raises them. My girlfriend knows somebody who works there and there's all these fish packed in kiddie pools eating there own crap.

The grocery store where I work has them "buy one get one free" all the time. I can't believe how many people buy the things. It makes me want to throw up every time I see a package go through my line. Like I said earlier in this thread, if the fish looks ugly to me I don't eat it. Their picture is on the package and they aren't only ugly to me, I know they are poop eaters. Give me a steak!

Where I live there's Sheepshead. These fish look like they have human teeth. I tell my husband all the time I refuse to eat something that has a better set of teeth than me!:D

creamofmushroom

>_<
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick note to everyone on fish and poultry. This is clipped from an article.

When it comes to poultry, any meat with the words “natural,” “Amish,” “organic” or “free range,” would culminate the best of the stock. For poultry and fish, Chef Hoffman has one common piece of advice and that is to buy from a reputable food dealer. Poultry when put in solution, should always be avoided, Hoffman said. “That tastes like rubber,” Hoffman said. “And since you’re buying by the pound, you’ll be paying for the salt water that’s included too.” When the opportunity for questions from students arose, one matter that Hoffman addressed was choosing between the wide varieties of available fish. He stated that any fish with labels such as “farm-raised,” “twice frozen,” or generally any products from China should be avoided. Hoffman said that labeled wild-caught fish, especially from Alaska or Seattle are the best to eat, because fish caught in these areas are immediately processed on the boat itself. Hoffmann also included several pieces of random advice. Good salmon will always have a bright red color, and fish should never be bought on Mondays since shoppers will be buying from Friday’s stock, he said.