About a Hebrew word

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Is the H in Hashketim (Silent ones) like the English H? I mean, is it an aspirate H?

KristinaL

Registered
Reaction score
the silents - השקטים

The "hey" is a lighter version of the English "h". Don't pronounce the "a" so much, the pronunciation in Hebrew would be something along the lines of "hshkteem". the "e" is also more silent. The "tet" (ט) will have you place your tongue on the top of your palate, not by your two front teeth.

There is no such thing as a silent "h" in Hebrew. The only silent letter is the letter aleph (א), otherwise every other letter has it's own distinct sound. There are no letters that represent vowels in Hebrew. An aspirate "h" is made by the letter "ח" (chet), and starts from the bottom of the throat. Another heavy "h" sound is the letter כ and is only made from the mouth, not the throat.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll throw in my two cents. hashketim=THE silent ones. ha=prefix meaning 'the', shket=silent, im=suffix that means masculine plural.

so for example haboker=the morning, haerev=the night, yad=hand and yadayim=hands, yom=day and yamim=days. and sheket means 'be quiet!'