Let's try this, writing topics only for August

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Just as an experiment I would like to suggest that A/NT new threads be in writing topics only, no matter how tangentally. That is about: writing atheist topics, research specifically to be used in writing, experiences as a writer.

Discussions about comparative (non)religion can easily be posted in religion: other, office party, or other areas. It would be nice to try and get a writing tone in this area?

Last edited:

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Great idea.

For the future, I think we could do with a "Creating Atheist Characters FAQ for Non Atheists", to which we could point our often disingenuous guests who hop over the wall from time to time.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
***feeling my fingers slapped***

Non the less, I agree!

Though finding pure A/NT topics are hard to me.

I try, in my writing, to present characters close to my own way of being a non-believer, because I wish to include this particular way of perceiving the world in my stories. I find it hard, though, without presenting a counter-part; a protagonist that helps through the dialogue to define my non-believing character.

And that, more often than not, defies the purpose.

I am frequently challenged, in my writing - and life -, by the fact that A/NT has little meaning to people of faith. As if there is a void there..., unless there is a challenge; or controversial plot going on.

I am sorry if I'm rambling here, but I really don't know how to express the fact that I am often met with the fact that religion (faith, belief, etc) can be discussed indefinitely, but the lack thereof (if honest and true) leaves little room for debate (unless, of course, challenged by the counterpart).

Now, I realize that this is just my simple opinion, and that I most likely am wrong. Any input here would be greatly appreciated as I am having some (severe) difficulties giving the proper depth to my non-believeing characters, without defining them through the, oh so tiresome, religious debate. Guess that I'm not a skilled enough writer to surpass this - to me - almost impossible obstacle of giving my A/NT characters the proper three-dimensional features.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't mean to slap any fingers. I am just trying to figure out out to have the main business here be writing-like. Then the side discussions would fit into the overall subforum better, IMHO.

I will start another thread on writing atheist characters and hope we can take it up there. :)

Last edited: