First Novel - FINISHED!

Rhea L

-enchanter-
Registered
Reaction score
After two years, many personal difficulties and more angst than I care to admit...

I have finished my first fantasy novel. I can't describe how I feel now, but I guess I don't have to. :hooray:Not only did I just manage to prove to myself that I can, in fact, write a complete novel, but it's a story that sat deep enough under my skin to make me go back to it after long months of trying to pretend it didn't exist. And now it's done. Clocked in at around 150k, so I'll have a lot of wiggle room for (much necessary) rewrites and trimmings.

It will sound ridiculous and cheesy, but really. This is the kind of thing that falls under "the most amazing, mindblowing experience I've ever had in my life - EVER." Realizing the plot worked (I'm an organic writer), that the character I thought would have a sad ending managed to save himself, that the story really lives on beyond what's written on the pages. Guh.

I spent more time procrastinating on these forums than I care to admit, so I just wanted to share this awfully ridiculous excitement with you, and say that in many ways, AW helped so much. *squee*

*runs off yelling "I WROTE A NOVEL"* Excuse me. Please return to your regularly scheduled program.

Heee. :D

Jill

Registered
Reaction score
Well done! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Unless you've actually finished a novel you don't realise just how much commitment it takes.

Rhea L

-enchanter-
Registered
Reaction score
Well done! It's a great feeling, isn't it? Unless you've actually finished a novel you don't realise just how much commitment it takes.

Commitment, yes. But I loved that. I feared I wouldn't manage to finish it, and it would be there at the back of my mind, reminding me I failed at something I really cared about. :p

The feeling compares to nothing. XD Thanks. :hooray:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Congrats! Yes, writing a novel is difficult but the best part is that you did it. So now get back to editing and best wishes on your success.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!:hooray:

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Congratulations! You'll always remember your first...

Now, go work on something else for a few months...and then you'll be ready to edit, as others have already suggested.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! You did it! Don't forget to celebrate- :snoopy:

Rhea L

-enchanter-
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. :D I'll probably start editing soon... as soon as I get over the squee stage, so it doesn't get in the way of my evil inner editor. ;)

Julianne Douglas

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I felt high for several days after I finished. I felt more elated then than when I landed an agent.

Enjoy the feeling!

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I also just 'finished' a fantasy novel so allow me to 'squee' with you :)

Rhea L

-enchanter-
Registered
Reaction score
It's absolutely wonderful. I'm still tired (I did a 30k-in-six-days marathon) but really glad I got it done. I started a new job today and it would have been really hard to focus on both... XD

Thanks again. :)