Lulu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAngelwithnowings

A few years ago I created and wrote my first comic book.

I was so proud of it. I was going to publish it until I found out how much self publishing cost.....

The internet came about and things have changed...

I am now seriously thinking of publishing it thru a POD....

I keep hearing about Lulu

Any feedback good or bad on it?

veingloree

Re: Lulu?

I know of a POD comics publisher with built in distribution that would be a better deal, but the book mark is on my home computer. Lulu is an ok vanity press but you would do better to go with comic-specific POD.

acetachyon

Try comiXpress. They seem to specialize in short-run books (in traditional and mini sizes), will print the books for you, and even carry it for sale on their site.

NickolausPacione

<div align=justify>Lulu is a great place to work with but you need to know damn well what you are doing before you go in with them. I self-published the anthology Tabloid Purposes and the short story collection Collectives In A Foresaken Landscape. If you want to be a self-publisher -- lulu is the place to work with but you need to find out about trying to get more freedom in designing the ISBN thing. It is a tough thing to design the back cover for the book. I had some help in designing the covers for the anthology and short story collections. I designed the back cover on the short story collection.

The Knowing Skull

I have several books on Lulu. Some are self-published under my Metropolis Populous Productions, and some by Wild Cat Books. Wild Cat is actually becoming a fairly successful operation using Lulu exclusively.

The bad thing about Lulu is you have to do all the work unless you want to pay them to do the editing, layout, cover design, marketing, etc. The other bad thing about Lulu is they don't have the traffic for readers up to the level of writers.

The good thing about Lulu is it costs nothing to post a book there unless you purchas the aforementioned extras. The other good thing about Lulu is you can buy one book, ten books, or a thousand books. You're not left being required to purchase a minimum number of books that could potentially load up your garage and never sell. Their ISBN deal is fairly nice, but as mentioned before, the back cover needs to be designed to ensure it will fit.

If you're going with a self-publishing route, it would be smart to go with Lulu even if you decide to go another route as well. Why not have your book available as many places as possible?

I spoke to a gentleman who posted his children's book on Lulu and eventually sold it to a professional publisher. He probably made some money in the meantime, and now has a book published. I don't think his story is unique, if it is likely rare.

Most of the stuff I have on Lulu are reprints of things other publishers printed of mine over the years. As far as calling it a 'vanity press', I think it's more like a print shop. They'll print what you bring them. There are some high-quality projects on Lulu, and an entire range beneath.

BelieveInJesus

If one goes with Lulu as well as other markets including sell the books oneself -

does one buy copies from Lulu receiving a 'royalty' from Lulu?
Or
Does one have Lulu print the ones they sell and then get another printer to print up short runs of the book to sell one's self at a greater profit margin?

maestrowork

You set your own royalties on Lulu. They charge you $x for printing the book and a small surcharge, based on # pages, binding, etc. You then set your own royalties. For example, if the cost of the 200-page book is $8, and you set your price at $12, you get a royalty of $4 per book.

You can also set the royalties to $0, then buy 1000 of it yourself for $8 (I think they do have bulk discounts) and sell it yourself for whatever price you want. Or you can simply set the royalty on Lulu and point your potential customers to Lulu's site.

Or you can print the book yourself using a traditional short run printer and save money (1000 books probably cost about $4-6 per book?) But then you have to worry about storage, and shipping, etc. So you have to account for all those expenses.

With Lulu, it's POD printing and they take care of shipping (for a fee, paid for by the customers). So really, you don't have to worry too much. You may have a smaller profit margin (so make your book $15, instead of $12), but you have less hassle.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
It's dead easy, menu driven, and well designed.

But if ever the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" applied, it's here. This isn't a publisher, it's a printer. What you upload is what'll get printed, exactly as you sent it. If you don't buy any of the extras (like an ISBN, which you only need if you're thinking about bookstore sales) it's free. Like CafePress, they take a percentage of each sale.

But as to sales ... Atlanta Nights is currently hovering around #25 in their list of best sellers ever, and that's with slightly over 300 sold.

Deleted member 42

supacop said:
First off I'm not Ms.Guptill, in fact I'm not even of the Female Gender.

Gah.

Words have gender; people have sex. Always remember, gender is no substitute for sex.

authorernieroy

Lulu - vs - Vanity

I have four books published with Lulu.com, and the only regrets I have with them is that they do not help promote my work. They are not a vanity press, for vanity presses cost the author money. It cost me nothing to publish through Lulu.com, and I set my own royalty.

Author of: Destiny of the Divas
Destiny of the Divas II - Angel of Mercy
Overturned
Mountain of Love
http://www.lulu.com/Destiny

Ernie's Place - http://authorernieroy.bravehost.com

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Rebecca/Rebecca's Friend, you're now spamming, and that message makes you sound like you've been drinking lead based paint. Please stop it.

Torin

Wandering vaguely
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cebarrett.com
What I really like about Lulu.com is that they offered a free copy of your book if you were a NaNoWriMo winner, and I think they gave until mid- or late January to get your file in. I ended up with a paperback copy of my NaNo book, which I wrote for my daughter, to give to said daughter. Good quality, too. I was very pleased.

Innocent01

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hanfic.com
I've published with Lulu, and I will do so again. There's really only one reason why I chose to publish with them, and it's because I can't afford to go the traditional route. I'm unemployed and living at home, currently with less than $100 to my name, and there's no way in hell that my parents are going to fund my journey to be published, even if I asked them nicely. They think I live in a dream world *rolls eyes* Buying one lonely 50 cent stamp doesn't seem like much at first, but it all adds up over time.

zizban

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.chippewapublishing.com
You don't need money to go Traditional. Just a good story that will sell. So write, polish, submit to publishing house or agent, wash, rinse, repeat.

I am thinkin of using Lulu simply because I have my father's long out of print novel now and I'd liketo have it available to other family members.

gogoshire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
For a project like your dad's novel for friends and family, Lulu is perfect. Lulu published my Nanowrimo novel for free, and I bought a bunch of extra copies for friends for xmas presents. It was about $8/book, everyone thought it was a hysterical gift (the unrevised novel written in 30 days), and I didn't spend tons of cash. Also, it looks like a real book (I even added fake blurbs on the back, not some piece of junk bound together at Kinkos. When I'm done with revisions and ready to send the thing out (hopefully by summer's end), I won't be republishing with Lulu, but I'll use Lulu again any time I need a low distribution, low cost, high quality product.

I wonder if sending a Lulu copy to agent (after query is accepted, of course) rather than a regular MS would ever be appreciated. The initial printing cost is more, of course ($8 vs photcopying), but mailing would be cheaper b/c a paperback weighs less, and printer ink is costly. Hmm....

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
I just used Lulu to print up copies of the WIP for beta readers. Thanks to the wonders of free shipping, it cost $30 less than going to Kinko's. It wasn't all that much more expensive than the cost of running off five copies on my printer, and I get a much less cumbersome and more convenient product.

I'll know how happy I am with them once I hold the copies in my hands.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I've used Lulu to print books I wanted to get into the hands of a small--very small--audience. The finished product is of good quality, but you must do all of the formatting yourself. They will allow you to choose a free stock cover, but you can do no more than enter the title on it. You can't put anything on the back, unless you know how to design a cover yourself, then you can upload the front and back cover images you design. (You need to use photoshop or a similar program.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
gogoshire said:
I wonder if sending a Lulu copy to agent (after query is accepted, of course) rather than a regular MS would ever be appreciated.

No. Don't do this. The agent would expect the work in standard manuscript format. The publishers that the agent would be submitting the work to would expect it in standard manuscript format.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
skylarburris said:
They will allow you to choose a free stock cover, but you can do no more than enter the title on it. You can't put anything on the back, unless you know how to design a cover yourself, then you can upload the front and back cover images you design. (You need to use photoshop or a similar program.)

I used to design my covers in word and print to a JPEG file. Now, with the new wraparound covers, I design in word and print to PDF. If you've some artistic sense, it’s easy to make a good-looking cover.

As for sending paperback submissions to agents, I've had agents ask for the paperback over the standard MS. And I've submitted paperbacks to publishers as well. I've yet to get any negative feedback...on that aspect of it, anyway.

Last edited:

CaptMorgan

Registered
Reaction score
I would like a copy of an early draft of a book I've written to give to the person I've dedicated it to. Can I print with LuLu and still send it out to traditional publishers? I only want three or four copies...but I don't want to unintentionally put it on the market. I'd rather go the traditional route.

How fast is LuLu? For example, if I submitted the book today, how fast would I have the copies?

Thanks!

Mandy

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
CaptMorgan said:
I would like a copy of an early draft of a book I've written to give to the person I've dedicated it to. Can I print with LuLu and still send it out to traditional publishers? I only want three or four copies...but I don't want to unintentionally put it on the market. I'd rather go the traditional route.

How fast is LuLu? For example, if I submitted the book today, how fast would I have the copies?

Thanks!

Mandy

Yes, just don't make it available to the public.

Count on about 4 working days for printing, and then it's shipped from upstate NY. They have every delivery option from overnight to media mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.