PDA

View Full Version : Can a Chihuahua fit in a briefcase? Can I drug it w/out being mean?

Giant Baby
08-03-2008, 02:40 AM
If a character was to stick a chihuahua in a briefcase, would that be plausible? They look pretty small on television, but I haven't had the pleasure...

I've looked up dimensions (2-12 lbs [with 2-6 being industry standard], 6-9 inches tall), but I remain unsure about the visual. I'm concerned about things like body width and, well, the head!

If not, any thoughts on dogs that could be placed as such?

Also, what might make said chihuahua go to sleep? These folks aren't into animal cruelty, so I'll keep the dog conscious if need be, but if there's something that would knock it out for an hour or two in a non-abusive sort of way, it'd be more interesting. The dog can be cranky, but not in danger as a result.

:Shrug:

Nothing prescribed by a vet, but anything handy around the house (including crazy aunt Ida's meds or burbon or any natural substance a highschool kid from Central Maine might know about) would be great.

I don't want to hurt the dog, or leave any reasonable expectation (beyond the natural buffer that is teenaged boy-dom--he's not a mean kid, despite a little aberrant dog stuffing) that the dog might be harmed. Stoopid ideas are perfectly acceptable and would be fitting with the character.

truelyana
08-03-2008, 02:42 AM
Yes, it can fit in a briefcase. Ever thought of adding a different kind of bag?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-03-2008, 02:44 AM
Uh... I'd worry it'd suffocate, drugged or not. And awake, I'd imagine it'd make a lot of noise. Crazy Aunt Ida's meds would probably kill it. Bourbon would likely make it puke. Putting the dog in a briefcase would be abusive - unless s/he was in danger somehow and needing to be smuggled out of the danger.

StoryG27
08-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Where's haggis? let's find out.

Linda Adams
08-03-2008, 03:17 AM
What about a gym bag or a backpack? That would be more dog-shaped and might accomodate a slightly bigger dog. We used to have a Chihuahua mix, and he was a lot bigger than the pure breds.

Wkipedia has the weight listed, which ranges from 2 lbs to 12: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chihuahua_(dog)

My mix was 20 lbs.

milhistbuff1
08-03-2008, 03:34 AM
How about making it a laptop carry case. A small Chihuahua should fit in one of those multi zippered Solo bags.

smoothseas
08-03-2008, 04:02 AM
why would you wanna be puttin' a chihuahua anyways?

Tornadoboy
08-03-2008, 06:17 AM
Well, if you stomp on it a little first, you might be able to slip it between the pages of a paperback?

chevbrock
08-03-2008, 06:46 AM
If it was going in the cargo hold of anything (plane, train) poor doggie would be mush by the time the trip was over.

Soccer Mom
08-03-2008, 06:50 AM
It really depends on the briefcase. If you have a soft-sided one, the doggie might be just fine. My parent's black cat likes to jump in one of my briefcases. It's a really over-sized one and made of denim with leather handles and trim. If he wasn't so heavy, I probably would have walked off with him by accident.

C.bronco
08-03-2008, 07:08 AM
I squished Haggis into a briefcase once. I promised him I would not reveal what debauchery ensued.

Fenika
08-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Benadryl. Not enough to knock em out (Ever), but just to calm them. The dose for a chi... small dog is a bit tricky. Start with a BABY benadryl and FRACTION it. If you want to get specific (and a responsible character Should) then google it.
I *believe* a 50lb dog would take up to one pill per day, as needed (say, during a thunderstorm). More could be given, but then you should be discussing it with a vet...

C.bronco
08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
That's not what I used!

LOL

Try a margarita.

Chumplet
08-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Many years ago, my vet suggested half a Gravol for my 30 pound border collie mix. She was prone to carsickness. It kinda made her dopey and she fell asleep on my lap and my legs fell asleep. She was NOT a lap dog.

A soft sided briefcase, maybe one of those leather ones with an opening at the top like they used in the 60's?

Fenika
08-03-2008, 07:45 AM
I should specify that the don't-knock-em-out referred to 1) when stowing them in a sketchy carrier and 2) making them comatose. They might ease off to sleep in a drowsy daze, which is fine... unless it's not...
Right, I'm going to bed now

Haggis
08-03-2008, 07:48 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Honushi/smilies/neutral.gif

Fenika
08-03-2008, 07:49 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/Honushi/smilies/neutral.gif I don't think you'll have any trouble if the head is this small!

Haggis
08-03-2008, 07:52 AM
I don't think you'll have any trouble if the head is this small!

http://forum.crystalxp.net/uploads/post-386-1127687954.gif

Vincent
08-03-2008, 07:54 AM
My brother took a 5 hour train trip with a Chihuahua hidden inside his jacket. It made yipping noises sometimes, and people gave him odd looks, but no one said anything.

bonobo_jones
08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Benadryl is safe for dogs and will make a dog very drowsy, although I'm not sure what the dose would be for a Chihuahua. One of my dogs is 75lbs, a single Benadryl makes her quite drowsy and looped enough not to care about fireworks.
I know several Chis and certainly a Chihuahua can be stuffed in a wide-enough briefcase. Although I can't imagine any dog accepting this quietly unless drugged. Does it have to be a briefcase or can it be another type of bag with an open top?

Linda Adams
08-03-2008, 06:30 PM
Benadryl is safe for dogs and will make a dog very drowsy, although I'm not sure what the dose would be for a Chihuahua. One of my dogs is 75lbs, a single Benadryl makes her quite drowsy and looped enough not to care about fireworks.

Yikes! That brings back memories, and not pleasant. We had to give our Minpin Benedryl. She only weighed eight pounds or so, and it was extremely hard getting the dosage right for her size. I think we only tried a few doses before deciding it was okay to live with the existing problem (leaking at night vs. leaking every single time she barked).

Fenika
08-03-2008, 07:27 PM
http://forum.crystalxp.net/uploads/post-386-1127687954.gif

:e2moon: :e2brows:

/derail

Carry on.

Haggis
08-03-2008, 07:31 PM
:e2moon: :e2brows:

/derail

Carry on.

*stuffs horse into a briefcase*

BlueLucario
08-04-2008, 12:49 AM
A chihuahua in a briefcase? You could suffocate the poor thing. Put em in a backpack, and leave the zipper open, so they could not only breathe, but stay cool.

Ravenlocks
08-04-2008, 01:13 AM
I had a friend who had a Yorkie and used to carry it around in a large-ish soft-sided briefcase/purse/bag type thing. I assume she left the top fastenings partially undone so it could breathe. As far as I know the Yorkie never objected to this treatment or called attention to itself, and she never drugged it to keep it calm. She even used to smuggle it into movie theaters this way.

As I recall, the Yorkie wasn't as yippie as Chihuahuas are, though, so maybe it was less likely to start barking and get found out.

BlueLucario
08-04-2008, 01:20 AM
I had a friend who had a Yorkie and used to carry it around in a large-ish soft-sided briefcase/purse/bag type thing. I assume she left the top fastenings partially undone so it could breathe. As far as I know the Yorkie never objected to this treatment or called attention to itself, and she never drugged it to keep it calm. She even used to smuggle it into movie theaters this way.

As I recall, the Yorkie wasn't as yippie as Chihuahuas are, though, so maybe it was less likely to start barking and get found out.

I was going to say. I do see a lot of girls carry Yorkies around in their purses, even pomeranians. So if you can put those two dogs there, you can put a chihuahua there too.

Giant Baby
08-04-2008, 02:25 AM
Awesome! Yes, yes, yes.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k319/giantbaby/Haggis-1.gif

I think he'll fit just fine.

Benadryl, tiny amount. Fantastic. It's a brief moment in the action. I can leave the type of briefcase it is and its size unspecified, in fact it would be taxing to the reader to belabor the point.

I appreciate the help. I trust Bahamutchild has made it out of Haggis's briefcase?

kuwisdelu
08-04-2008, 05:11 AM
I put my cat in a small duffel bag.. I suspect she'd fit in a briefcase, too. I'm sure a chihuahua would work, too.

Kitty Pryde
08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Benadryl. Not enough to knock em out (Ever), but just to calm them. The dose for a chi... small dog is a bit tricky. Start with a BABY benadryl and FRACTION it. If you want to get specific (and a responsible character Should) then google it.
I *believe* a 50lb dog would take up to one pill per day, as needed (say, during a thunderstorm). More could be given, but then you should be discussing it with a vet...

My friend's mother gave my friend's beloved cat a reduced dose of benadryl to knock him out for a cross-country plane trip when they moved. The reduced dose was based on weight. When the plane arrived in Oregon they were in possession of A Dead Cat. :e2bummed:

Giant Baby
08-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Ouch! That would be an unfortunate turn for my story (for the dog, too!).

Haggis
08-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Yeah. Forget the benadryl, at least for Chihuahuas. Think single malt scotch, preferably Lagavulin.

BlueLucario
08-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I saw in this movie, Big Momma's House where Big Mama gave a chihuahua some wine. See what happens. :)

ideagirl
08-05-2008, 06:57 PM
If a character was to stick a chihuahua in a briefcase, would that be plausible? They look pretty small on television, but I haven't had the pleasure...

Some chihuahuas are small enough to fit in the pocket of a sportcoat, let alone in a briefcase. I speak from the personal experience of having a great uncle who used to entertain the children by stashing his chihuahua in a pocket and pulling it out at odd moments to surprise us.