Writing down your imidiat thoughts without disturbances

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronTide

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to AWWC. Sorry if my incompatibility to find a topic on this subject was lacking - the sheer amount of sub-forums and topics wasn’t that easy to navigate, nor search.

I sometimes find myself thinking in the most poetic manners, that when at the moment of impact seems almost on dimension with big authors on intellectual prose (insert smiley). Most likely it was only in my imagination, as my brain was drugged with ecstatic chemicals, I was left to feel the overwhelming satisfaction of what came to mind. But as fast as it came, it goes away, as if I glimpsed at something I would never fully grasp, but could see in an instant of inhuman revelation. If I only could write it down. Back on track... my exaggerated feeling for the lost words, not only when it comes to prose but also when writing essays and articles has led me to the discovery that I am very absent-minded, and it really hurts my writing. My lack of ability to express myself, and the overall coherency and content of the text - for not to talk about the time consumption, as I rehearse the sentences without even paying attention, which I am doing right now - could probably estimate my luck on further careers. If I was to describe it in a simple manner, it's almost a form of anxiety where I lose the power of analyzing, and critical thinking. As of when my thoughts aren’t being written, there is relief and the flow of connecting mindscapes with knowledge comes easy. Maybe it is ADD or ADHD; I haven't taken time to find out yet. It would be nice to get some input from the comrades of AWWC, and your experiences, because my writing has harsh hardships with my concentration; I am immobilized.

Thank you for your attention.

pictopedia

exactly, sort of
Registered
Reaction score
And yet you are hanging around in this place where people agonise over the right words and dig deep to find their right meaning and sweat and labour over them. That must mean something about your underlying concentration to get to the bottom of this immobilisation.

It sounds like it's probably some form of anxiety having to do with the relationship between you and your work. Doctors agree that even in severe cases, anxieties can be overcome. But there are these large, in-between periods of feeling numb, out of focus, guilty, mediocre, voiceless, bottomless fear, weak and uninspired, between the start and the finishing point.

I am currently in the in-between state of numbness and bottomless fear, but hope I can reach clarity within the next months. I don't want to be able to rehearse my sentences. I just want to write good, meaningful and entertaining sentences to begin with. Probably the best method to get out of immobilisation when stuck in that in-between stage is to be your own drill sergeant and kick yourself in your but and continue writing, writing, writing.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
One thing that helps me when I'm overwhelmed with too much insight (let's call it) is to think of the entire story, essay, whatever, as the smallest possible unit of that thought.

Forgive the probably flawed physics analogy: I've just discovered a new element. How do I express it best? Is it's smallest form prose? Poetry? Is it a novel? A short story?

Sometimes, I have to ask if it's even best expressed in words. Might need another medium--that's not for everyone, of course.

Every word is a subatomic particle. It all exists for the furthering of the whole element, which might be a 300 word flash fiction or a 50,000 word novel(la). When I try to think about the element on its own, without the story that sheds light on it, I get really baffled. It's like looking at a solar eclipse with your bare eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.