New member needs help QUICK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiofllyer

This is my first post unless you count my audition for the Idol contest. (The judges weren't impressed, I guess.) I have a question and don't really know which forum to post it in but since I write humor I'll give it a shot here.

I recently sent out samples of the column I write for a small, local monthly paper (for which I don't get paid) and received an email from the first editor I sent it to saying he liked my stuff and asking for a "rate card". I don't want to appear ignorant to this guy but I have no idea what he's talking about, well I guess I have some idea. I'm sure it's something to do with what I want to charge for my column but to be honest, I don't really know. I think he's going to want a twice a month deal. What's the going rate on a humor column in a very small market these days? Anyone have any ideas? I need to get back to this editor pretty quick, so I would be one grateful momma if someone out there could offer some advice.

Thanks,
radioflyer

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Ultimately this is one you're going to have figure for yourelf radioflyer. You're correct in your assumption that what he wanted to know is what he has to pay per column.

I'm pretty far removed from my newspaper days but I'd guess that most small weeklies would balk at anything over $20 and their comfort range might be half that. Syndicates are a real problem for freelancers these days. Some national columnists (or rather their syndicates) charge as little as $3-$5 per column. It's chickenfeed for the average writer but ain't bad if you're in a few hundred papers.

If I had to pick a number I'd probably be thinking around $15. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.