Roast Cut Needed for Rare and Tender?

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I consider myself a decent cook, but for the life of me I can't cook a tender, rare roast that's not a rib roast. It seems like everytime I try, I could wear the finished product on my feet and walk to Texas and back. I can cook a pot roast, rib roast (too expensive) but what cuts do you cook? You go in the deli and get roast beef and it's red, juicy and melts in your mouth. You go to a diner and the roast beef is the same. I want some too! Please help. What in the heck am I doing wrong and what beef cut can I use other than rib to get what I desire? I love rib roast, but when it's not on sale I don't buy it. Please help me someone.:cry:

Last edited:

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you are carving too early? Maybe cook it with a lid to seal in the juices?

You know, I really don't know, either! I just have a really good butcher that makes up for all my shortcomings in the kitchen!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love bloody moo meat and my favorite, rare, at home version is London Broil.

Here's my brother's fabulous marinade recipe:

1/4 c. ketchup
1 Tbs. oil ( I use olive or sesame - sesame, mmm....)
3 cloves of garlic -mashed
2 tsp. soy sauce
salt
pepper
(I know it doesn't sound like anything but it really tastes great)

Stir it all around and smear it on the meat. (Both sides) Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Grill or cook under broiler - Not too long! You want it mooey on the inside.
About 4 minutes per side - depending.

If you really want to bake some meat - a 7 Bone roast is nice but I've never eaten it rare.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
If you sear the roast in oil before sticking it in the oven it helps seal in juices.

Mmmmmm. Juices.

ETA: Oh, I just read somewhere that you need to get an oven thermometer. Apparently the built-in ones aren't so accurate.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I usually roast an eye of round - 20 min per lb for rare. 350 degrees. Let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes before slicing.

If you sear it, this is exactly how I do mine as well, but I wouldn't call it rare, for me it's a nice pink. 30 min per lb for no pink.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I've done london broil on the grill, after marinating it, too and it turns out ok. I just wanted a regular roast. I've seen those eye of round but always wondered if I'd turn it into shoe leather too. Now I'm hungry and will have to go find food. :)

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
I cook my roasts in the crockpot, and this last time I didn't cover the whole thing with liquid like I usually do. The top part turned nice and black and the rest was fall apart tender.

I think it was an underblade cut. Ten hours on low.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Do you cover it? I'm a great cook with those baking bags.:D

No - I don't cover it - I put it on a wire rack inside a roasting pan. I don't sear either (never thought to, actually. Now I'll have to try! :D)

I put it on the rack, season it, and pop it in. I don't make gravy, but you probably could by pouring some water into the roasting pan every so often - someone with gravy know-how can correct me if I'm wrong about that.. :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Tenderloin... aka 'filet mignon', when it's cut into medallions. It'll cost a fortune. It'll make prime rib look cheap by comparison. But it'll melt in your mouth and slice if you just show it the knife.

Or, if you're poor like me, you'll get a 7-blade roast and pop it in a cooking bag or the crock pot, seared or un-seared; sprinkle with a packet of Lipton Onion Soup; add 1 to 2 cups of water and cook all day. Add carrots and potatoes for the last couple of hours, if desired. The au jus makes wonderful gravy when thickened with a little corn starch and milk.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
My favorite roast is a standing rib but a spit roasted untrimmed tri-tip runs a close second. Additionally, it's just as tasty when oven roasted. (A tri-tip runs about $2.79 to $2.99 per pound when it’s on sale.) I don’t trim it before I cook it.

Poke it with slivers of garlic, rub it down with a wee bit of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and then season liberally with salt and pepper.

If you're using one of the "set and forget it" spits like I have, a 3 1/2 to 4 pound roast will be ready in approximately 45 minutes for rare to medium rare. (Because of the tri-tip's shape, it isn't possible to obtain even cooking throughout the roast.)

If you are oven roasting, set the oven to 450F and roast for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 375F and roast for approximately 30 more minutes. (Test with a meat thermometer in the thickest portion after about 20 minutes.)

Tent with foil and let is rest for at least 10 to 15 minutes before carving.

If you don’t have one of the “set it and forget it” spits, I highly recommend getting one. I spit roast whole chickens, chicken breasts, pork loins, leg of lamb, Cornish game hens, and turkey breasts on it. I love my spit and in the summer, when I don’t want to turn on the oven, it’s fantastic because I like me a big piece of meat with every meal.:D

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Brian, but what in the heck is a tri-tip? I never heard of that cut before. I guess I can ask the meat guy where I work. I have a hundred year old Farberware version of set it and forget it. I love the thing.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Try eye of round--my favorite. But the key is to let it rest after cooking for at least 15 minutes, as others have said. I only rub a little extra virgin olive oil on it and a cut clove of garlic and sprinkle it with black pepper before cooking. Sear it at 450 for ten minutes, then reduce heat to 350. (About 15 minutes per pound, but that varies. Test with a good meat thermometer. You want it rare to medium rare. It continues cooking even out of the oven.)