Not open for further replies.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I'm so frustrated. I finished my manuscript last summer, and almost immediately signed up with a bogus agent. For 6 months, I basically waited for nothing. Now, I am looking for another agent. It seems like about 30% of those queried are interested. Then, about half ask for manuscripts sent through the mail. GREAT! I take my disc and get a copy or two (depending on what they asked for) and mail it priority flat rate mail - total cost - $20-30. Then, NOTHING> Nothing. Nothing.

Or, I email the agent. Did you get it? "yes, its good, but needs some work. I'll pass it to my editor." Then .......nothing nothing nothing again.

I mean.........what do they want from me? I know what I want from them! A freakin clue about whats wrong with my book!!!!!!!! Does it need more SEX? Is it too good? Horribly written?? Please! I read all the time ......and I can't believe my book is that bad! It's not some bogus novel.....some cheezy story I made up! It's non-fiction - narrative. Everyone I talk to about the book says "Oh, thats interesting. I'd buy that book." BUT - no agent will help me!!!!!!

I'm starting to just get mad. My book has almost 400 double spaced pages to it. I can't keep absorbing the expense of printing it out and mailing it. Should I just burn the thing and shoot myself?

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've recover faster if you shoot the thing and burn yourself--but I hope you don't do either one!

Agents are not in the critique business. They're in the book-selling business, and while it's great when one tells a rejected would-be client that the book needs more sex or is horribly written, they're not obligated or even expected to tell you anything beyond "Not for us/me at this time."

Perhaps (if you're not ready to pursue another round of get-an-agent) it's time to line up some beta (or gamma) readers who know their stuff and will tell you what they see as the book's weaknesses. I bet you know some non-fiction writers here and already have some ideas about who's solid and who's still learning the craft...

Maryn, working on "some bogus novel... some cheesy story she made up!" :gone:

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
And maybe it’s time to give up on agents and approach publishers directly. Most independents are non-fiction, and most of them you don’t need an agent.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I did that already

I already did that.......already.

(Posted on the share your work forum) and re-wrote my entire book.......got some good , no, great tips.

You think I'd recover fast from burning?

I know agents aren't in the critique business .......but are they in the answering emails business? Or, how about the "I requested your manuscript, and you sent it right away, now here's what I think of it business?"
Would a formal rejection hurt? I'm the same one who sent my manuscript (by request) to an agent in CANADA who was so excited about it and it took her 6 months to reject me.

Get my point?????????

BTW - I totally hate fiction. I'm sorry about that - it's just me.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Thanks, Julie!

You're probably right! (maybe).

I guess I'm also a little mad because I have been waiting for a refrigerator repair man ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
I guess I'm also a little mad because I have been waiting for a refrigerator repair man ALL DAY LONG!!!!!!!

Bastard! He's probably a literary agent by night.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I wish

At least I could hand him my manuscript in person ........saves money on postage, you know.

zeprosnepsid

Registered
Reaction score
It takes longer for them to reply to a full manuscript than to a query. Many other people have said it takes months.

All you can do is start working on the next book and not think about it.

Good luck!

Ella

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sumptuosity.blogspot.com
Julie Worth said:
Bastard! He's probably a literary agent by night.

:ROFL:

Stay strong, eldragon.
Maybe make yourself a budget allowance for each month for sending manuscripts & queries. Then you know that expense is coming, and it won't seem so bad when you pay it. It will also help you stay on track with submissions.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha: I know you don't want 'I share your pain" type of reply.

I know sometimes submitting makes you want to die.

But rest assurd and know you are not alone,

Here...take this ...my old chewed on bone.;)

From what I read in this forum, we who have yet to break through the magic line of the wonderful world of being published do feel your pain and all the frustration that goes along with it. In two years ask me if I think it was worth it. Right now I'm not sure.

But keep this in mind...you are not alone. We are here for you and do keep our fingers crossed for you and feel free to rant and rave all you want. I'm sure there are others that do and we just don't 'hear' them.:gone:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I know this is going to sound insensitive... but I have been there, and I happen to think this is really true and helps me from going insane:

Uncle Jim said: send it out. forget about it. write your next books....

Seriously, I have subs out there for over a year. I don't have the mental energy to chase them down. If they come back an acceptance, great (fortunately it's not available anymore... because... read on...) but most likely if the agent is not scrambling to call me back, it's most probably a rejection anyway.

So I kept writing, and I kept sending it out. And if it's an "exclusive read" I offer a time limit. Just keep sending it out until someone bites. Meanwhile, what is out is out -- it's out of my control, and I don't want to fret over it.

Are you writing your next book? If not, do it. If so, focus on it.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
I'm so frustrated ... It seems like about 30% of those queried are interested. Then, about half ask for manuscripts sent through the mail. GREAT! I take my disc and get a copy or two (depending on what they asked for) and mail it priority flat rate mail - total cost - $20-30. Then, NOTHING> Nothing. Nothing.

Ah feel yore pain. But look at it this way: after 53 queries, the only non-form-letter response I've gotten has been one (1) request for partial. I've revised and improved my query letter many times, I follow each and every guideline scrupulously, and still nothing but "dear author..."

How I wish I was getting 30% interest!

Hope this rant helps you to keep it in perspective.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Since I decided to stop fretting over my current completed novel, I've typed more than 54,000 words in my WIP. Stop thinking about your book once you submit it to an agent; move on to the next project. It will keep you a tad saner.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
CACTUSWENDY said:
In two years ask me if I think it was worth it. Right now I'm not sure.
I'm not always sure either. The beautiful weather has finally arrived where I am, but I'll be spending most of the weekend inside preparing my second round of queries. I do have moments when I wonder why I'm doing it, but they pass.

Ah feel yore pain. But look at it this way: after 53 queries, the only non-form-letter response I've gotten has been one (1) request for partial. I've revised and improved my query letter many times, I follow each and every guideline scrupulously, and still nothing but "dear author..."
Could it be something about the story? From day 1, I've known that I'm not likely to sell my story to a large publisher and so probably won't find an agent, but I'm querying agents first so I won't ask myself "should I have..." in 20 years. I've been surprised that a few agents have asked for more. After that, I'll query the large publishers for the same reason before moving on to the smaller presses.

Forgetting about the work once you start submitting it is good advice. I'm working on something else while I shop the first one around.

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
brinkett said:
Could it be something about the story?

About the premise itself, you mean? I have no idea. Since rejections never come with commentary, I have no way to know.

Forgetting about the work once you start submitting it is good advice. I'm working on something else while I shop the first one around.

So am I. But the form rejections on the first one keep rolling in nevertheless. That's why I can sympathize with eldragon, even though I wish I were in his (her?) shoes.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
arkady said:
About the premise itself, you mean? I have no idea. Since rejections never come with commentary, I have no way to know.
Yes, that's what I meant. And it is demoralizing to receive a lot of form rejections since you have no idea what, if anything, needs to be fixed.

So am I. But the form rejections on the first one keep rolling in nevertheless. That's why I can sympathize with eldragon, even though I wish I were in his (her?) shoes.
I sympathize with anyone who's currently querying--it can be a real grind. But I did a lot of reading before I started so I knew that waiting was par for the course. Some writers have posted that replies are still trickling in over a year after they sent the query, so when I stick those envelopes into the mailbox, I forget about them. Email is a different story. I find that you either get a response fairly quickly (within 72 hours) or not at all. Only once so far have I received a response to an e-query more than a few days after I sent it.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Well, I find it very hard to send stuff and wait. (And wait, and wait and wait .....and then give up and start over).

Wait for how long? Wait for what? Sorry - but I just can't buy the whole ......too busy to make a decision on your manuscript thing.

My last hopeful agent asked me for two copies of my book and I sent it out almost immediately. I had just finished re-writing some areas, and had to rush to get it done. THEN - I had to drive 20 miles to print it out - cause there isn't an office depot type place where I live. (My book is almost 400 double spaced pages.......I can't wait for my printer to do it).

So, I send the two copies by priority mail and wait 5 days ....sent her an email. "Did you get it?" Yes - she did. "It's good, but it needs work. I am forwarding the other copy to my senior editor." Ok ....she had read the first half of the book in a day ........it's been 2 weeks and I have heard nothing.

Nothing.

Seems like there is always something else to do to keep me from preparing more submissions and/or queries.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Agets

eldragon said:
I'm so frustrated. I finished my manuscript last summer, and almost immediately signed up with a bogus agent. For 6 months, I basically waited for nothing. Now, I am looking for another agent. It seems like about 30% of those queried are interested. Then, about half ask for manuscripts sent through the mail. GREAT! I take my disc and get a copy or two (depending on what they asked for) and mail it priority flat rate mail - total cost - $20-30. Then, NOTHING> Nothing. Nothing.

Or, I email the agent. Did you get it? "yes, its good, but needs some work. I'll pass it to my editor." Then .......nothing nothing nothing again.

I mean.........what do they want from me? I know what I want from them! A freakin clue about whats wrong with my book!!!!!!!! Does it need more SEX? Is it too good? Horribly written?? Please! I read all the time ......and I can't believe my book is that bad! It's not some bogus novel.....some cheezy story I made up! It's non-fiction - narrative. Everyone I talk to about the book says "Oh, thats interesting. I'd buy that book." BUT - no agent will help me!!!!!!

I'm starting to just get mad. My book has almost 400 double spaced pages to it. I can't keep absorbing the expense of printing it out and mailing it. Should I just burn the thing and shoot myself?

An agent who has an editor to pass things along to?!?!?! This would terrify me. I'd definitely stay away from that one. That's a run, don't walk case if ever I heard one.

Sadly, agents aren't in the critiquing business, and can't afford to be. And shouldn't be. They're slow enough already. Taking time to provide feedback to more than a tiny fraction of what comes in would slow them down beyond human endurance. To critique something, an agent would have to read it all the way through. This doesn't happen very often. An agent or editor reads only until they find a reason to stop reading, and more often than not, they stop simply because they don't like what they're reading, or just lose interest. They get bored. "I didn't like it" or "I didn't think it was very good," or "I doubt anyone would buy it," or "It bored me," is really all they could say, and it's what they do say with a form rejection slip.

In truth, most of the time an agent would have no clue what to tell you is wrong. It isn't what's wrong an agent looks for, it's what's right. You have to read in a very different manner to see what's wrong. To see what's right all that's necessary is that you enjoy reading from page first to page last.

If only very minor things are wrong, if a novel shows promise, or the writer behind it shows promise, and if you're submitting to good agents or editors, you will get feedback nearly every time. When a book has only minor problems, the agent or editor will read it all the way through, and will pick up on the minor problems in a sort of behind the scenes way.

But neither an agent nor an editor can provide feedback on everything that comes in. It just isn't possible or productive. Not receiving any feedback at all is serious feedback in a very real way.

And, really, if you can't tell yourself what's wrong, you need to find a couple of reliable beta readers who can tell what's wrong before you submit it to an agent or editor. Yours aren't doing a proper job or you would be receiving at least some feedback from agents.

Talking to people about the book doesn't mean anything. Even a fascinating subject can be written in a poor or boring manner. The greatest subject ever thought of can be written about so horribly that no one would read it. Nonfiction can be as bad, or far worse, than any novel. Nonfiction can be God-awful in every possible way. Either the agents you're submitting it to believe the book is bad, your writing is bad, or there's simply no market for the subject matter. Rejections pretty much always come because of these three reasons. If they believe the book is well-written, but that it has no market, they'll usually say so and ask you to try something else.

No agent or editor ever has or ever will reject a book they believe is well-written, and that people will buy.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
An agent's job is to sell her clients' work, schmooze with the editors, and all the other things she has to do to for her clients. Then maybe she has some time left to go through queries. Hundreds of them. She might pick one or two to request material. But when they arrive, they go to the pile. She probably has over 20 in the pile...

Just because you send her YOUR ms asap via express mail doesn't mean you are the ONLY thing on her plate. Be realist! She doesn't work for you, and she's not sitting at her desk waiting for reading materials. If you can't understand that, I don't know how you can ever work with an agent if you do get one one day... the world does not revolve around you and your ms. You are just one of the hundreds who query her.

Their time is devoted mostly to their existing clients. Some of them only take on 1 or 2 new clients a year. So good luck demanding their time corresponding to YOU.

And no, agents don't have to tell you what is wrong with your ms. All they are obligated to is a "yay" or "nay." Like James said, they're not in the crit business. They don't owe you anything.

Publishing is a SLOW business. If you can't understand or stand it, I think you might want to consider another career choice.

If perseverance is a MUST for a writer, I think you're failing the test.

(sorry to sound harsh, here. But you're not the only writer who must endure this process. Those who wait tough it out. Those who don't fail. It's really that simple.)

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Understood.......

but let's say you have a book that's written on a timely subject .....for instance.....it's about John Kerry and it's election year. Do you just sit back and wait and wait? NO! You can't!

My book has to do with a television reality show - and the agent I am talking about requested it because she liked the show and my idea, and she said.. the first half of my book.

It's not like I am writing about a turtle who met a bumblebee. This thing is more timely.

Plus - this agent sent me a copy of an email she sent to someone the same day she requested two copies of my manuscript. It said:

Kathy,

As you know PCG Publishing is not just an African-American only publishing
company. Our goal is to publish books by great writers.

I have listed PCG Publishing with many services for writers. What do you
think of this project listed below? I saw the show (__) a couple of times
and it was good. The lady who sent in this first chapter worked at The
_____ where they actually tape the show ____. Let me know what
you think. I like the story.

I don't know who she sent the email to .....or why she sent me a copy.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Another thing .....I am an avid reader, and have been for over 25 years. It's not uncommon for me to read 3 books a week. I'm no stranger at the library, the bookstores and the thrift stores - shopping for more books. Plus, I sell books online to make money.

Do you know how many terrible, boring books are out there? Just hideous! Badly written - stupid and more.

I'm not an accomplished or expert writer, but I am a very experienced reader.

I know my book is as good as most of it. With some help, it could be better. I don't think there is a book out there that didn't require editorial assistance, unless it was self published and you can see the obvious mistakes.

Go to the nearest bookstore and head to any section of books - pick one up and start reading it. Chances are, it's awful. Just like movies, it seems like everyone wants to read about raunchy, stupid sex. I have had a few people ask me to put more sex in my book. Well, its not about sex! And if I'm writing about other people and wasn't actually there in the room .....how do I know what kind of things they did together? So, I'm supposed to add all the raunchy trysts and escapades I had - just to sell the book?

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Don't bother trying to get an agent - send it to publishers. When you get an offer, getting an agent will be easy.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
Many publishers no longer accept unagented submissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.