PDA

View Full Version : Witness Relocation Program - Would you?

CBumpkin
08-02-2008, 03:09 PM
This "what if" isn't regarding the actual Witness Relocation Program where your life is endangered by mafia thugs, but in the general context only.

If you had the opportunity to be given a brand new life, would you take it? Why or why not?

Here are the terms:

New identity: You must choose a brand new name to live by for the rest of your life. Your husband/wife and children are the only people who would come with you, but they must change their identities as well. You may bring your family pet.

Place to live: You can pick the state (must be in your home country) and city or town.

A job: Within reason. You can't be on the board of Microsoft or anything like that. It has to be something that you're currently capable of doing or could do with some training by the company. For example, you have a desire to work in publishing so a publishing company is instructed to hire you and train you to start in a reasonable position so you can work your way up. You wouldn't necessarily need to be entry level, but you wouldn't start as an editor, unless you were currently qualified. (You don't magically receive new skills.) You may forfeit taking a job if you want to start your own business instead.

A home: Nothing extravagant but not a dump either. An average home given to you, mortgage free. You may make different housing arrangements but only after you've lived in the house for a minimum of one year. At that time, you can sell this house and buy a new one or move into an apartment or whatever you'd like.

A sum of money: $100,000, tax-free, to begin your new life and use however you please. No money from your previous life can be taken with you.

In return:

- No contact with family, friends, co-workers or anyone that you know now. No exceptions. The penalty of breaking this rule would be a life sentence of solitary confinement with no hope of parole or visitors. You would be alone in a 6 x 8 cell until you died.

- Your old identity would cease to legally exist, never to be regained. This includes not only relationships and benefits that you've built, but also traffic tickets, debts and any legal troubles.

There would be no possible way of cheating and keeping certain aspects, including people, from your old life.

So, would you?

regdog
08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
One question before I can answer honestly

Can I bring my dog?

StoryG27
08-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Hell no, I would not! I would not leave Hubby and kids, not for anything.

I do, however, have some friends and family that I would like to nominate for the program.

:D

Komnena
08-02-2008, 05:11 PM
No. I'm too closely bound to what I am.

Maryn
08-02-2008, 05:36 PM
I could leave friends, the area, this house, and much of this life, but I could not leave family. Period. Which is why I never testify against the Mob.

Maryn, devout coward

Myasandar
08-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Ha, maybe but not whilst my parents are around. I like the rest of my family but I wouldn't miss them and they wouldn't miss me as we aren't what you'd call close.

Not that I feel I've made many mistakes in my life, but I don't feel that attached to it.

SherriC
08-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I finally figured out what I want to do with my life! If you had asked me ten years ago, the answer might have been yes, but...I have nothing to run from and everything to look forward to. So I chose the last one.

maestrowork
08-02-2008, 06:13 PM
I would have done it if not for the "no contact with loved ones and family." I can deal with not having contact with my friends anymore, but not family. I can't do that.

If you cross that one out, I would do it in a heartbeat.

(except, can I keep my current savings? $100,000 is hardly enough!)

Lyra Jean
08-02-2008, 06:22 PM
I chose no, but it's tempting. I just couldn't leave my fiance at all and it would be very difficult to leave my family.

If this were real I'd ask if my fiance could be brought into the program and I would just leave my family. Hey it's life or death. If I was single I would have no problems.

TerzaRima
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM
Even if there were no contact, could people from the old life know I was okay?

DeleyanLee
08-02-2008, 07:43 PM
For the most part, that's what I did two years ago--complete with name change. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Real loved ones know where to find me. Everyone else is pretty much SOL.

stormie
08-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Isn't being on AW sort of like a witness protection program? You know, using an alias, no contact with real-life family or friends, new home (here)....

Seriously...no. I'm content. I've had not-so-good things happen in my life, but I'm okay. I live where I want to live, I have a good family, friends from childhood and new friends, and a job I love.

Susie
08-02-2008, 08:21 PM
If I could go with my hubby and leave my family, I would do it in a heartbeart. If not, no way.

maestrowork
08-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I'm considering changing my name to Dirk Diggler and move to Los Angeles.

CBumpkin
08-03-2008, 12:30 AM
One question before I can answer honestly

Can I bring my dog?

Yes. The actual witness relocation program allows it, so... go ahead!

CBumpkin
08-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Being single, I did a bad job clarifying one point. Husbands, wives and children would still be a family. You would all go together. I'm really sorry.

Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat because I'm single and have no family. But, if I were married and it meant leaving my wife and children behind, I could NEVER do that. I'll edit the original post so others will understand that point.

CBumpkin
08-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Even if there were no contact, could people from the old life know I was okay?

I'm not sure how the witness relocation program handles that detail, but we'll just say that yes, 24 hours after your "disappearance," a simple, non-detailed note would go to a friend or family member of your choice to let them know you're safe. They would have to be in charge of letting everyone else in your life know, though. There would only be the one note.

KTC
08-03-2008, 12:53 AM
I went with the last option. I love my mistakes.

regdog
08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
I can take my dog. Hell Yes I'll go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:gone:

I have some family members who I would miss dearly but as for the rest let's just say I'm related to people I don't relate to.

Besides I HATE the city I live in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Headbang:

Ageless Stranger
08-03-2008, 02:37 AM
Couldn't leave my fiancee. Period.

Danger Jane
08-03-2008, 02:42 AM
All right, so I impulsively clicked yes but I'd miss people, then realized that I'd miss WAY TOO MANY PEOPLE. Important ones. It'd be interesting to change my identity and all, but uh, only if I could tell who I needed to tell...

So take one of those "sure" votes and make it the last one.

:D

BenPanced
08-03-2008, 08:22 AM
I don't see how the worst mistakes I've ever made are going to get upstaged by anything even more terrible, so I'll just stay where I'm at for now.

nighttimer
08-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Starting all over again isn't going to mean I never made the mistakes I have so I might as well keep the life I already have instead of pretending a second chance means I won't make worse mistakes this time.

Part of being an adult means facing up to your problems and not looking for the "EXIT" sign when it all seems to be turning to crap around you.

Death Bean
08-03-2008, 04:43 PM
I chose the second 'yes', because right now I'd love to break away and start living life exactly as I want, but right now in me normal old life I'm kind of at a crossroads so that may end up actually happening :) So...

New identity: Noya Desherbante, scriptwriter, novelist, renegade archaeologist, anarchist, Anglo-Saxon historian and fencing champion. I don't have any partners or children, but I would bring a few chickens (we have many more pets but taking all of them would be restricted by where I live, see below).

Place to live: In a houseboat on the Thames, somewhere around the Richmond area. Chelsea is so yesterday.

A job: Freelance proofreader and TV director.

A home: The houseboat would be huge, with a mezzanine and extensive library, painted sky blue and chocolate brown and with a complete absense of painted milk churns and horseshoes.

A sum of money: Fifty thousand English pounds would suit me nicely. Can't take any savings from previous life: haven't got any. :) Would use to buy a Model T Ford, also in blue and brown to match the houseboat. And I'd have blue driving gloves and... better stop.

But as I said, this is how I hope my real life will turn out. :D

Phoebe H
08-04-2008, 01:24 AM
I made an identity change about a year ago, and had the opportunity to completely sever my past, and decided against. Some days that seems like the right choice, and some days it seems like the wrong one. It is very hard to embrace a new life while still holding on to major pieces of the old one.

But in my mind, you have to at least make the attempt. And keeping contact with my kids has been worth all the other difficulties caused.

But I do know people who went completely stealth who have not regretted it one bit.

CBumpkin
08-04-2008, 07:47 AM
I tell ya, there are days I wish I could witness a horrific crime where I had to change my identity and move away. But, since the chances of that are slim to none, I'll do it the old fashioned way and work for the changes I want to bring. :)

Williebee
08-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Always up for a new adventure.

JoNightshade
08-04-2008, 08:04 AM
The only thing stopping me would be my folks. I'd be happy to start over again with just my husband and myself, but I couldn't bear a permanent separation from my parents. My mom is my confidant and supporter and my dad is just awesome.

That said, I've moved to a completely different place and severed myself from my past "life" (ie friends, coworkers, etc.) several times now. Not intentionally, it just happened that I moved far away and I suck at keeping in touch. Each time, however, I feel like I have this brand new start to be someone new without all the old baggage. And every time... guess what? I'm still ME. Unfortunately the one thing we can't ever outrun is ourselves, and no amount of changing our exterior life will alter that fact. Ah well. :)