Just got back from the vet.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Chance (my dog) has an eye infection. :( The doc is concerned that it may be a fungal infection. He gave me some ointment to put in his eye 3 times a day. There is hope because Chance was not running a fever but if his eye did not begin to show improvement within 3 days, the doc would have to begin doing some blood tests.

Right now, Chance is resting. He is such a well behaved dog considering he was a stray. He never ceases to amaze me.

He may not be feeling very good right now but somehow, despite the risk of a fungal infection, I just know he's going to get better.

I would like to start keeping a health record and diary on all the animals around here and I was wondering if anyone knows of any good software for something like that?

Sincerely,
Gehanna

rich

Usually, fungal infections are easily cured. I think the good doc added the blood test caveat to be on the safe side. Had he had suspicions of anything more than that he would've taken blood up front.

Is this your first dog?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hello :)

No Chance is not my first dog but he is the first dog I've ever had that has been sick before.

I am glad to know that fungal infections are easily cured in animals. Usually I see people with fungal infections (the kind that eats their flesh and more away). This is why I was so worried about it being in my dog's eye and not knowing what type of fungus it may be.

It didn't help that the doc had such an intense look on his face either..so I must have read into the seriousness of it more than it actually is....I hope.

Gehanna

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know of any software. But I'm sorry to hear Chance is sick. I get so stressed when my fur babies get sick.

Wishing Chance a quick recovery!

celeste

Rose

Escribo, entonces existo.
Registered
Reaction score
Give Chance a heartfelt "Get Well Soon!" from Howard and me.

My slobbery beast has a skin condition that's causing his fur to fall out! The doggie dermatologist advised me to keep a Hound Log, and I track changes in his diet, how much he scratches, what meds he's taking, a note about the weather, and anything odd that he does.

I keep a simple Word file to track this, but I think I'm going to switch to Excel. It sounds like an Excel sheet might work for you, too.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
He still has a lot of drainage and edema but at least it has not become worse.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Rose,

I don't know if this is anything similar but when Chance first came into my life, he had a condition where his fur was falling out to. After much testing for various conditions, it was never clear what the cause was so it was determined to be "allergies". LOL I love those kind of vague answers when no one knows what's really wrong.

Fortunately, whatever was wrong went away after a round of antibiotics and has not returned. I wish the best for you and your dog as well.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Just an update to let everyone know that Chance's eye is nearly healed now. He still has some clouding of the cornea on one side but even that improves a bit each day.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Cool, Gehanna! Thanks for the update. :) I'm glad to hear he's doing better.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad Chance is feeling better!

Gehanna said:
I don't know if this is anything similar but when Chance first came into my life, he had a condition where his fur was falling out to. After much testing for various conditions, it was never clear what the cause was so it was determined to be "allergies".
I love those kind of diagnoses, too! Howard's condition hasn't been cured, but his hair is falling out at a much slower rate and he has a second appt. with the doggie dermatologist later this month. I told my boyfriend we'll have to get Howard a parasol this summer. Or maybe a tattoo if the area on his side goes completely bald!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! a tattoo would be interesting.

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Hurray for Chance!
3.gif

It's so good to here he's getting better! Tell Chance I'm sending him lots of get well thoughts...
4.gif

celeste

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Rose said:
I'm glad Chance is feeling better!

I love those kind of diagnoses, too! Howard's condition hasn't been cured, but his hair is falling out at a much slower rate and he has a second appt. with the doggie dermatologist later this month. I told my boyfriend we'll have to get Howard a parasol this summer. Or maybe a tattoo if the area on his side goes completely bald!

Rose,

Around the areas where Howard's hair is falling out, do you feel any scabby bumps, or see anything other than just thinning hair?

When you first mentioned Howard's condition, I thought of mange. Certain types of mange will cause hair loss and itching, but is usually accompanied by scabby bumps, sores, etc...

I'm sure it's just doggie allergies, but I wanted to mention it just incase.

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Celeste said:
When you first mentioned Howard's condition, I thought of mange. Certain types of mange will cause hair loss and itching, but is usually accompanied by scabby bumps, sores, etc...
I thought it was mange, too, and gleefully called him a mangy mutt for a few days before he saw the vet. But it's not that. It has something to do with the hair follicles not getting enough blood. The worst part is, those follices may have been permanently damaged and may never grow hair again. Hence, the tattoo idea...

Celeste

Banned
Reaction score
Oh good, good, good! Not that he has the skin condition, but that you know it's not mange.

I hope he gets better soon. But I'm sure he'll be just as adorable even with a bald spot. :heart:

Rose

Registered
Reaction score
Celeste said:
But I'm sure he'll be just as adorable even with a bald spot. :heart:
The great thing about being a dog, imho, is that they don't care! Howard is not the least bit embarassed that he has a bald spot on his derriere, thinning hair on the sides, and a permanent blob of drool dangling from his jowls. He's short and goofy-looking, but that doesn't bother him in the least. He's a chick magnet, and he knows it!