How to handle exclusivity agreements, deadlines

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, and new to the writitng/publishing world as well. I started browsing some discussions here to get a feel for various agents, and found some helpful information.

I now know better than to go agreeably with an exclusive partial, but I didn't before agreeing to one.

Here's my situation:

Agent 1 asked for a 2 week exclusive partial, I agreed. The deadline is up today.
Agent 2 just asked me yesterday for an exclusive full.
This morning, I sent a very nice and not pushy email to agent 1 just asking for an update on her status, emphasizing that I don't want to rush her, I just want a timeline to give to Agent 2. I get an automated email saying that Agent 1 is out of the office until august 4th and is unlikely to reply to an emails until then.

So, my question:
Do I tell Agent 2 that I'm waiting to hear back from someone who's exclusively reading my partial, or wait until I hear back from Agent 1?
It's been almost 24 hours since agent 2 contacted me. Being new to this whole dance, I'm not sure how important a timely reply is.

Also, (because after reading here, I'm sure this will be asked) both agents are the best of the best. I would be enamoured to have either one represent me.

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help would be GREAT!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
You can give Agent 2 an exclusive on the full, because your exclusive agreement with Agent 1 has now expired.

That means that, if Agent 1 comes back on August 4 and says "Oh, can I see a full?" you'd have to say, "Sorry, the full's out on exclusive with another agent right now."

Or you can ask Agent 2 if he/she'd be willing to read the full on a non-exclusive basis, because you have partials out elsewhere.

If you do decide to give Agent 2 an exclusive on the full, negotiate the shortest timeline they'll agree to.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I sent an email to Agent 2 requesting a non-exclusive agreement, but got an automated "out of office until next week" reply.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Forget about agent 1, her period of exclusivity is over. Concentrate on agent 2 and contact her at once. If you want to give her exclusivity on your full set a deadline (e.g., 4 weeks) and tell her so.

The overriding concept is to get the right agent to represent you, and to do this you may have to contact many, many agents. Bear this in mind when offering exclusives. If I were looking for an agent I would only grant exclusives--with short turnaround times--to agents which I dearly wanted to represent me. But that just my opinion.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
I would LOVE to have either one represent me, although I've heard more about agent 2, so he's kind of my "top choice" at the moment. (trying not to get my hopes up...)

I told agent 2 that I couldn't grant him exclusivity, as Agent 1 still has my materials...I don't think it will be a problem, as he only said, "If possible, I would like to review your MS exclusively."

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you I would consider the now expired exclusivity granted to Agent 1 as expired, although I don't think you should advise Agent 1 of same. Agent 1 more than likely knows the exclusivity period is over. However, if and when the situation presents itself where it's to your advantage to do so -- you do so.

At the moment Agent 2, who is apparently interested in seeing your entire work, has two choices:
1. Tell you what s/he did and go from there -- which was done.
2. Tell you s/he is only interested if s/he has exclusivity -- which s/he decided not to do.

I don't see any harm in telling Agent 2 the truth, that is, that Agent 1's exclusive period has expired and that you can now offer exclusivity for (whatever number of weeks you decide). Based on Agent 2's response to you I think this would make him or her happy and put you in good stead.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I'm new at this and a bit overwhelmed with all the rules/suggestions/query etiquette...its a whole world that I know very little about.

I'm trying to weight the pros and cons of giving agent 2 exclusivity....

pro: he requested it, so he'll be happy about it
pro: from some sources, it seems like an exlusive manuscript gets read before a non-exclusive, meaning I'll hopefully hear back sooner

con: for the period of exclusivity (i'm thinking 4 weeks max if I offer it), I can't give it to anyone else, meaning that if Agent 2 says "thanks, but no thanks," i'm set back 4 weeks in the process...

question: how do queries with sample pages/chapters factor into all this? I sent several queries to agents that requested first three chapters/first fifty pages. If I haven't heard back from them, am I really able to grant exclusivity at all?

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Hmm I'm a bit late to this but what I would do is say to agent 2 you can't offer exclusivity because other agents already have the partial/full, but you will not contact new agents during the two week period/whatever time length you've agreed on he has to read the full..

Er, I hope that made sense.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
but you will not contact new agents during the two week period/whatever time length

meaning that I won't send my manuscript (full or partial) to any other agents who ask for it during that time?

The email I sent (waiting on a reply, got an out of office automated message back) went something like this,

Dear Agent,
I currently have partials out to other agents, but if you would be willing to review my work on a non-exclusive basis, I would be happy to send it along.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

Now, I sent that before Scope suggested agreeing to exclusivity, because I was under the impression that I couldn't, as peices of my manuscript are elsewhere and I still haven't heard back.

Like every writer, I want my MS to be a priority for the agent, which I hear is more likely if they have exclusivity. BUT, exclusivity leaves me feeling like my hands are tied, and I hate that feeling.

I have a few days before Agent 2 will be back in the office, so I have a while to figure out how I want to handle this....all the advice has been great. Thanks!!!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm missing something here. Here's my
impression of where you presently stand. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1. You sent a partial to Agent 1 and the exclusivity period you granted has expired. You haven't heard anything from this agent.

2. You sent sample pages/chapters (unsolicited) to several other agents without granting any exclusives on same.

3. Agent 2 initially requested you send her your full manuscript to be read on an exclusive basis, without her specifying a time period for doing so. You informed Agent 2 that you would be delighted to send her your full but due to prior commitments you couldn't grant her an exclusive. Agent 2 responded saying it was okay but that she would really prefer an exclusive (again, no time frame stated).

4. Objectively, as I see it, you now have no exclusives out there -- full or partials. Agent 1's exclusive period is over. The unsolicited sample pages/chapters you sent to other agents don't constitute any exclusivity.

5. If the above is true, what you do from here on is up to you. You're not obligated to anyone. If you want to grant exclusivity to Agent 2 for X number of weeks you won't be stepping on anyone's toes. If you do so, and other agents should respond positively to your full or partials during the X number of weeks granted to Agent 2 you just tell them the truth.

6. I think you have to do what you believe is best for you.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help, I hope I'm not annoying you all with my naivite.

Just a suggestion really. It's merely a polite way of saying that while you can't do this one thing for them, here's the compromise.
--yes, I think this is a great idea

1. You sent a partial to Agent 1 and the exclusivity period you granted has expired. You haven't heard anything from this agent.

Yep

2. You sent sample pages/chapters (unsolicited) to several other agents without granting any exclusives on same.

yep

3. Agent 2 initially requested you send her your full manuscript to be read on an exclusive basis, without her specifying a time period for doing so. You informed Agent 2 that you would be delighted to send her your full but due to prior commitments you couldn't grant her an exclusive. Agent 2 responded saying it was okay but that she would really prefer an exclusive (again, no time frame stated).

Kind of. I've only had 1 email from Agent 2:

Dear Lucca,
Thank you for your query regarding your novel.
Your manuscript sounds interesting and I would be glad to
read it. You are welcome to email the manuscript to me as a Microsoft
Word attachment, or if you'd rather send it via regular mail, you can
mail it here:
Address

If possible, I would prefer to consider your work on an exclusive
basis

Thanks for thinking of us, and we look forward to reading your novel.
Sincerely,
Agent 2

4. Objectively, as I see it, you now have no exclusives out there -- full or partials. Agent 1's exclusive period is over. The unsolicited sample pages/chapters you sent to other agents don't constitute any exclusivity.

Yes, you're right. I guess I am confused (this is obvious, though, right?). When an agent says that they want to review my work exclusively, I thought this meant that they want to be the ONLY one looking at my manuscript. Meaning, if there are any partials/fulls out there, even if on a non-exclusive basis, they aren't the only one looking at it, so therefore it's not exclusive.

But what you're telling me is that if I have no other exlusives out, I can grant exclusivity to whoever I want. I didn't know this.

5. If the above is true, what you do from here on is up to you. You're not obligated to anyone. If you want to grant exclusivity to Agent 2 for X number of weeks you won't be stepping on anyone's toes. If you do so, and other agents should respond positively to your full or partials during the X number of weeks granted to Agent 2 you just tell them the truth.

This makes perfect sense, and I'm getting the feeling that this is what I should do. Now I'm just a bit confused because from all my reading on other threads, I've gotten the idea that granting exclusivity should be a last-resort option. BUT, I would love to have this agent represent me, and want to do everything I can to appease him.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking objectively, granting an exclusive to an agent or publisher isn't a sound idea. Why? For obvious reasons. You really can't try and sell your work until the period of exclusivity expires. However, there are always exceptions to the rule, the most usual being that one has received an expression of interest, which includes a period of exclusivity, from an agent or publisher they would dearly like be be represented by or published by. This is why I say that only you can decide on the grant of exclusivity, and the time frame.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
You really can't try and sell your work until the period of exclusivity expires.

I completely agree with you. I just feel like a child in a foreign country. The language is all new, I don't know how the rules work, and I'm a stranger, trying to not draw too much attention to the fact that I'm a first-time author...

Here's an update on my situation:

Agent 2 is still out of the office.
Agent 1 emailed me today, saying she loved my partial, and would like to see the full on an exclusive basis. (not that she would prefer exclusivity, but that she requires it.)

I sent her the MS with a nice email thanking her for her time and for getting back to me so quickly and saying that I can grant her 2 weeks exclusivity but really no longer than that as I have other agents waiting for my MS. I know this is a short period for a full, but she's already read about half of my MS in the partial.

Did I screw anything up?

I'm hoping agent 2 will be gracious enough to wait 2 weeks.....

Thanks guys for your help!

Last edited:

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
If all goes well, and you'd be happy signing with Agent 1, I don't think you screwed up. Hopefully she'll agree with the 2 week exclusivity period you granted her. There is one thing to bear in mind re your statement that you hope Agent 2 will wait for 2 weeks. That is, if after 2 weeks Agent 1 tells you she likes your full but requests some re-write, and you agree with her suggestions, will you extend her 2 week initial exclusivity period? Assuming you do, how will you handle Agent 2? I realize this is all hypothetical at this point, but I believe it's best to be prepared for what may suddenly be thrust upon you.

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh!! Hmmm.....lots to think about. Thanks Scope for bringing that up.

I think in that situation, since I would be "revising," and Agent 1 wouldn't be reviewing my material, I should be free to send it to Agent 2 during that time....right?

I guess at this point, Agent 1 is kind of taking priority. In my mind, she's more invested in my work currenty, because she's read a good chunk of my MS and liked it enough to ask for the rest of it, whereas Agent 2 has only read my query letter.... Hypothetically, Agent 2 could read the first 2 pages of my novel and chuck it in the trash....at least Agent 1 liked what she read already.

Have you had experience with this juggling act? What did you do?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
No, I haven't had such an experience.

I don't know if there's really a right or wrong to the situation we're discussing. I'm sure different people would tackle it in different ways. While we all want to maintain our integrity, we all also want to get represented by a good agent. They hold the entire deck, while non-agented writers hold a single card, at best.

Given the situation we're discussing I think this is how I would approach same, and why, all based the the important fact that I believed in the revisions asked for by Agent 1, felt simpatico with like him or her, and felt that the revision (if good) would more than likely result in a contract and representation.

After judging how long it would probably take me to satisfactorily make the revisions (my best guess), I'd let Agent 1 know same (unless s/he already set a deadline) and ask for a decision X number of weeks after his or her receipt of same --- explaining that another agency is interested but you won't do anything until such time.

If and when you first make the above decision you are playing with fire when it comes to Agent 2 because you would have to advise him or her that you have granted Agent 1 exclusivity until X date based on the fact that the agency request to possibly represent you came prior to his or her. And, one way or the other you'll get back to them by XXXXXX date.

I don't think it's right or to your benefit to work on the revisions suggested by Agent 1 while you send out the full to Agent 2 on an exclusive basis. Thatw ould really leave you no where, as I see it.

Last edited:

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
That makes sense, and I'm with you that if an agent requested revisions and resubmittal, it means that they're probably thinking of making an offer....so, yeah, I'd probably just stick with agent 1 until getting a rejection.

Also, I've read that it's polite to inform all other agents if an offer has been made, and to give them an opportunity to review the work before making a decision.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think it is proper to inform all other agents if you receive an offer. But to wait to hear from them before you make a decision may piss off the agent who wants to rep you. I can see if we are taking about 2 or so weeks, but that's about as much as I'd give it. You can probably buy 2 weeks from the offering agent by telling her something like:"It looks wonderful, I just need a little time to run it by my attorney. I'm sure you understand."

Lucca

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with you. I wouldn't drag it out any longer than 2 weeks.