Leaving stuff behind

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of a thorough house cleaning and I'm ripped. Why is that people think because someone happens to own a large house they can leave their stuff there forever when they move out? OR that we actually want their junk that they would otherwise be throwing out now that they are moving?!?!?! Or they can store their stuff here forever.

Years ago when my sister moved out she left a closet and bureau full of clothes, mine had to sit on the floor. I always asked her when she came back to get her stuff each time she said next time and left. Finally I bagged everything up and off to the Salvation Army. She had the nerve to bitch and complain that I should have waited for her to go through the stuff. My thought was if she wanted it that bad you should have taken it.

Then my dad's girlfriend moves she had the nerve to bring a broken, yes broken statue to our house because we would just LOVE to have it. Was she kidding! WHY we would we want her broken junk?!?!?!?!

I'm not even going to get into what was left in the attic when that was done over.

Even now I'm finding stuff that people either left or "stored" here temporarily. OHH WELL Another trash bag full.

:rant:

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Who owns this house?

If it's not you, quitcherbitchin.

If it is you, why the heck you letting people move in and out with all their trashy crap?

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Go for it! Sometimes, you just gotta put your foot down. I went without using my garage for 3 years, because of "temporary" storage.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I'm renting, but everyday I have to walk past a decrepit grill sitting on my back stoop. At first, I was excited about it, but when I opened it and the paint or sealing or whatever is on the inside top of the lid fell down onto the racks, I got over my excitement real quick. Then there is the huge computer monitor in the basement that looks like it came straight out of an 80s office cubicle. Eventually, I 'm going to drag them to the end of the road, but then my life would be perfect, and where is the fun in that?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who owns this house?

If it's not you, quitcherbitchin.

If it is you, why the heck you letting people move in and out with all their trashy crap?

It is my Aunt's house and she is angrier about the stuff than I am. She never actually "let" these people leave their stuff here. Most of these people left these wonderful items here when she was at work and other family members (Not me) let them in. And when they moved oout the just decided she and I could clean up after them.

And she too has spent days packing up stuff family members have left behind and carted them off the GoodWill and Salvation Army.

And believe me when I own my own house(someday, I hope) no one is leaving anything behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or dropping off broken crap that I would just love to have.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do consider selling the stuff, for whatever small amount you can, or donating it and keeping an itemized list which values each item and becomes one of your tax write-offs. No reason not to take whatever small profit you can from other people's selfishness or laziness.

Consider, too, setting a firm deadline. "If you don't get your things (or your ex's things) out of the closet/attic/bathroom/basement/yard by August 3rd at noon, it's gone, and Aunt Maryn and I are not going to listen to you bitching about it. You've got your chance. Use it or don't."

Basically, your aunt is allowing family members to walk all over her, and by extension, you. Maybe you and she together can empower one another to put an end to this and get the message through to everybody in the family: this ends now. Get tough!

Maryn, more hard-ass as she gets older

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn completely.

I have a few achres of property that I don't really do a lot with. A friend of mine wanted to leave a car on it for two months. After two months were up, I told him he had a week to come and get it.

I sold that car and bought myself a new couch. My friend wasn't happy; I didn't care.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
This isn't really TIO material. Please read "Differences between TIO and OP"

If you're blowing off steam about general life stuff, that goes in Office Party, too. Or if you're worried about a member, or there's something horrible in the news, etc. I know it may feel kind of funny posting serious things in "Office Party," but that is still the appropriate place for it.

Underline is mine - 'something [horrible] in the news' belongs on the Politics and Current Events board.

Thank you.

Moving to Office Party. Please fasten your seatbelts, and return your seatbacks and tray tables to their upright, locked positions.