Not open for further replies.

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Thought this belonged here since is one of the harbingers of the future for print products. Esquire is pushing its 50th anniversary issue out with an e-Paper cover, the same "paper" used by the Amazon Kindle. The words and images can change on the cover. Not much else. However, it's a first. Here's the link:

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/07/30/esquire-to-geeks-hac.html

Discussion is simple: where are you with e-Paper? Where are you with advancing the books beyound pulp? And finally, how does the marketplace change with such flexible means of changing content? Certainly, contracts, rights and other money-making aspects of the venture wil have to changed.

if all this is too mcuh for you on a Thursday, we can just talk about the Queen's bloomers being sold at auction:

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/07/30/queen-victorias-unde.html

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. Now if the Kindle would just come down in price. I love buying ebooks, but I can't afford to shell out $350.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's cool! I want one!

But seriously, my prediction is that these epaper books won't really catch on until publishing companies figure out how to make them smell and feel like paper books! I've read novels on a computer as well as on a PDA, and it's doable, but it feels like something is lacking. I really need that old paperback smell to enjoy myself.

As far as the market and copyrights and getting paid for your work goes, we are already in awful shape with online file-sharing, DRM, and various lousy schemes to protect copyright. We aren't even close to sorting those issues out. Once we do, we will be in a much better position regarding e-paper as well. Because really, the tech is different, but it's not much different from having a novel or other copyrighted material on your mobile phone or your laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.